6 replies to this topic

#1 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I've been in loving girls names ending in the -is/-es sound lately. Here is a list of ones I've found intriguing.

Addis/Adis - (ADD is) like Addison without the -on, however it has the same meaning: son of Adam.

Ailis - (EY lis) or (EY lish) an Irish/Gaelic derivative of Adelaide & Alice. Normally I'm not a huge fan of Irish/Gaelic spellings, but this one is pretty easy to pronounce.

Alanis - Morissette anyone? A variant of Alana.

Amaris - I love the meaning: child of the moon.

Andis - variant of Andrea

Aris - It's Paris without the P, and sounds like heiress. The perfect name for a princess.

Avis - Despite the rental car company, I find this name quite wearable, if a bit old fashioned.

Cadis - (KAY dis) an interesting way to get to the popular Katie/Cady

Coris/Corris - yes like chorus, this name actually means "a beautiful singer"

Elis/Ellis - derived from Elizabeth & the male Ellis. An interesting way to get to the popular Ella.

Faris/Farris - One of my favorites.

Iris - name of the flower actually comes from the greek word for rainbow.

... J-Z coming soon.

#2 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

I like quite a few!

Ailis
Alanis
Aris (makes me think of Eris, but I LOVE it <3)
Avis
Ellis

Addis is alrighty, makes me think of Gladys minus the G. I think Addis would do much better though haha

Amaris is okay, but as I'm not a fan of Maris, I'm not much a fan of Amaris either hehe ;)

I want to like Andis, and I do more than Andrea, but I don't love it.

Cadis is alright, no particular reason I dislike it

Coris is alright, not my style tbh

Faris / Farris is okay, I'm not loving or hating it <3

Iris is alright, I knew a girl with the name who was a little younger than I. She was.. interesting.

Interesting list though! I love the -is ending in general, so much more unique than names of these days!

#3 Mika Casey

Mika Casey

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Addis/Adis - (ADD is) like Addison without the -on, however it has the same meaning: son of Adam.
Addis is a pretty cute twist on Addison!

Ailis - (EY lis) or (EY lish) an Irish/Gaelic derivative of Adelaide & Alice. Normally I'm not a huge fan of Irish/Gaelic spellings, but this one is pretty easy to pronounce.
Wow, this is super pretty! I like the pronunciation EY-lis.

Alanis - Morissette anyone? A variant of Alana.
I don't like this one as much, but it's still pretty cute.

Amaris - I love the meaning: child of the moon.
This one is absolutely beautiful, and I love the meaning!

Andis - variant of Andrea
I don't like this one as much.

Aris - It's Paris without the P, and sounds like heiress. The perfect name for a princess.
This is really pretty! I think I prefer the spelling Eris, like the moon. (:

Avis - Despite the rental car company, I find this name quite wearable, if a bit old fashioned.
Avis is really preatty!

Cadis - (KAY dis) an interesting way to get to the popular Katie/Cady
This isn't terrible. (:

Coris/Corris - yes like chorus, this name actually means "a beautiful singer"
I like the spelling Coris, it's kind of like Doris but with a modern twist...not quite my style though. (:

Elis/Ellis - derived from Elizabeth & the male Ellis. An interesting way to get to the popular Ella.
Ellis is so pretty, I think it would be good on a boy OR girl!

Faris/Farris - One of my favorites.
Farris is a cute spelling, I like this one a lot and think it suits you!

Iris - name of the flower actually comes from the greek word for rainbow.
Super gorgeous, this used to be on my list way back when!

#4 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

First and foremost, I am kicking and flailing over how much I love the idea of Ellis on a girl. It's so cute that it's almost painful to me and it warrants being mentioned first and not in the following list.

Addis/Adis - I don't much like the sound of it and it reminds me of Adidas...
Ailis - Love it, and I agree that it's pretty cut and dry pronunciation-wise compared to other names from the same origin (though I love a bunch of those anyway).
Alanis - Always makes me think of Atlantis, not that that is necessarily a bad thing. I think it's pretty.
Amaris - Really pretty, one of my favorites from the list. :)
Andis - Looks like the plural of Andi to me and that's how I initially pronounced it (AN-dees as opposed to AN-diss, which is how I assume it's meant to be pronounced).
Aris - Eh, I don't like it much.
Avis - Not too keen on this one either.
Cadis - I think this one is kinda cute! Reminds me a bit of Candice.
Coris/Corris - I prefer the second spelling, and I think it could be cute! The nn Cori/y is sweet on a girl.
Faris/Farris - I think it sounds really cool and fresh.
Iris - Love, love, love it. One of my favorite names period.

#5 Sami Marie

Sami Marie

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Names
    Movies
    Music
    Family

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Addis/Adis - this is actually a gender neutral name. Same as Addison in the fact that it means "Son of Adam" but also means "new".
Ailis - Ailis is a feminine name of Irish origins. Its the Irish form of Alice and its pronounced AY-leesh.
Alanis - Alanis is the feminine form of Alan. Alanis Morissette is actually named after her father, Alan.
Amaris - Amaris is a feminine name of Spanish, English, and Hebrew origins. An elaborated form of Amara and the feminine form of Amaro. Also means, "bitter" and "you are loved".
Andis - not much is known of this name. I also pronounce it as Andes.
Aris - This is a masculine name of Latvian, and Dutch origins. Its a short form of Adrianus, and Aristeo.
Avis - This is a feminine name of English origins and means "desired". A variant is Avice and its pronounced AY-vis.
Cadis - Not much is known of this one. It also reminds me of Candice and may be a short form of it.
Coris/Corris - this is listed as a gender neutral name of english origins. Similar to Doris. Its said to be pronounced as KAWRE-riss.
Elis/Ellis - Elis is a masculine name of Swedish and Medieval English origins. Its the variant of Elias. Also maybe be derived from Elijah and the anglicized form of Elisedd. Its pronounced EL-is
Faris/Farris - Faris is a masculine name of Arabic and Bosnian origins and means "knight" in Arabic. Farris on the other hand is a variant spelling of Ferris. Ferris being of English, Irish and Scottish origins and derived from Fearghas.
Iris - Iris is a feminine name of Greek Mythology, English, German, Dutch, Scandinavian, Finnish, French, Portuguese and Spanish origins. In Greek, Iris means "rainbow", there was a Greek Goddness of rainbows named Iris.

Out of all of these, I like Iris.

#6 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:05 AM

I really Ailis (Ey-lish), Avis, Ellis, Faris and Iris.

The meaning of Amaris is really interesting though.

#7 Untitled

Untitled

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

I love Iris. I also like Amaryllis, which is not on your list.

Most of the others are too trendy for me or sound more like boys names (Ellis, Andis, Faris).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Girls names, ending in -is

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users