• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:polka dots, strawberries, comfortable clothes, chocolate, good music, baby things, working with kids, blogging, my friends

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

Addison, Maida, Blakeley, Mikayla, Madison, Margaret, Vivian, Lilly, Emily and Rachel

These are my top 10 right now. BTW, Maida is pronounced May-Da, in case you were unaware

The nicknames would be: Addi, May, Blake, Mika, Maddie, Meg, Viv, Lil, Emmy and Rach

#2 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:35 AM

I'd never heard of Maida, where did you come across it? From your list I like Mikayla spelled Michaela, Margaret, Vivian, Lilly spelled Lily and Emily. I'm indifferent towards Rachel, and the others I don't care for. Vivian Emily, Vivian Maida or Vivian Margaret would make great combos.

#3 Melissa

Melissa

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:My husband and I are very into basketball and soccer and our daughters are enjoying sports too. My oldest daughter does gymnastics, soccer, and dance and my youngest does soccer and dance, so those are my interests rights now. <br /><br />I also love kids and my job. My husband and I's jobs both involve children.

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:49 AM

Addison- I like Addison with the nn Addie, but with just Addison, I like it on a boy better.
Maida-never heard of it, but sounds like a maid.
Blakeley-I like it spelled Blakely and I also like Oakley, though I never would name my daughter that.
Mikayla- I really like this name and spelling. I also like Makayla and McKayla.
Madison- A name I really like, with a cute nn Maddie or Mads.
Margaret- Love this one! Nns Maggie and Maisie are super cute! Timeless, also.
Vivian-I like Viviana better.
Lilly- I'm a bit biased with this name, hence I have a Lilly, but it's a wonderful name. Lily is actually a form of Lilly, so I like the Lilly spelling better.
Emily- I like this name a lot. I like the nn Millie, also.
Rachel- I love this name, too.

My favorite name from your list (other than Lilly :)) is Rachel. Rachel Madison is cute. Also, I LOVE all your nicknames.

#4 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

Once again you’ve really put together a lovely list! I think the only one I don’t really care for is Blakeley; I much prefer Oakley for a little girl. I think my absolute favorites from this list are Margaret, Vivian, Lilly, Emily and Rachel; I’m probably more than a little biased on those last two, though.

The nicknames you chose for each are absolutely great, by the way! I especially love Emmy as a nickname for Emily, it’s really special to me. Even when everyone else started calling me Charity, my dad and mom always called me Emmy :) Love it.

#5 Liz

Liz

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

Wow. Madison and Margaret on the same list! Those names seem on opposite ends of the style spectrum.

Margaret, Vivian, Lilly, and Rachel are lovely. I do prefer Lily (spelled like the flower) though.

Addison, Blakeley, and Madison are too trendy and masculine for my tastes. I like Michaela, but the Mikayla spelling is to trendy and cutesy.

Maida is interesting. I don't dislike it, but I'm not sure that I really like it either. It would probably be a difficult name because people would either see it as Maia or pronounce it Made-uh which sounds like "made of." Definitely a name to avoid if your last name is something like Honor or Wood.

#6 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:polka dots, strawberries, comfortable clothes, chocolate, good music, baby things, working with kids, blogging, my friends

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:27 PM

Maida is pronounced "may-da". My last name is Elerson.

#7 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:12 PM

I'd never heard of Maida, where did you come across it? From your list I like Mikayla spelled Michaela, Margaret, Vivian, Lilly spelled Lily and Emily. I'm indifferent towards Rachel, and the others I don't care for. Vivian Emily, Vivian Maida or Vivian Margaret would make great combos.

Maida Raine is the name of one of my friend's daughters. :-)
I've got other friends who've used the following names for their girls:

Madison Joy
Morgyn Claire
Mollie Graceann
Vivian Mae
Nora Violet
Aidan Blythe
Elysse Madeline
Carter Beth
Tristan Margaret
....and there are a lot more

#8 Fez

Fez

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:29 PM

Addison - too trendy for my taste
Maida - never heard of it, I'm not sure if I like it, but I don't hate it. I love the nn though.
Blakeley - this is one of those names that I believe to be cute for a little girl but which I'll never use myself. The nn is cute as well
Mikayla - I dislike it
Madison - again, too trendy
Margaret - I absloutley love this name with the nn Daisy or Meg
Vivian - OK
Lilly - I really like it but I prefer Lily
Emily - really like it
Rachel - all I can think of is Rachel from Friends

#9 Jennifer

Jennifer

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:I am a widow, I have 5 children, 3 at home still. Right now they keep me too busy to have my own interests or at least to give them much time. I do love taking pictures and changing backgrounds etc on the computer. I read when I get a chance.

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:40 AM

Addison, To popular for me right now.
Maida unusual and cute. I like it.
Blakeley just dont like it for a girl.
Mikayla LOVE this name but prefer the spelling Michaela.
Madison Cute nam, but I live in Wisconsina nd lived in Madison for quite some time so not a name I would use.
Margaret Classic and pretty.. Meg and Maggie are my fav nicks for the name.
Vivian another Classic. Not my favorite but very nice.
Lilly - really cute but I prefer the Lily spelling.
Emily Very nice but way to popular for me right now.
Rachel I love this name. It is so soft and feminine.

#10 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:32 PM

Maida Raine is the name of one of my friend's daughters. :-)
I've got other friends who've used the following names for their girls:

Madison Joy
Morgyn Claire
Mollie Graceann
Vivian Mae
Nora Violet
Aidan Blythe
Elysse Madeline
Carter Beth
Tristan Margaret
....and there are a lot more

Since one of your friends already has a Vivian, I would scrap that one from the first name list, unless you really love the name and/or the girls won't see much of each other (same goes for Madison and Maida, actually. This is only my opinion though). Elysse is pretty interesting too, I'd only heard of Elyse and Elissa but this sure is different.

#11 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

Since one of your friends already has a Vivian, I would scrap that one from the first name list, unless you really love the name and/or the girls won't see much of each other (same goes for Madison and Maida, actually. This is only my opinion though). Elysse is pretty interesting too, I'd only heard of Elyse and Elissa but this sure is different.

Most of the girls & their mom's live out of state, but if I did use the name, I don't think they'd care.

#12 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

Most of the girls & their mom's live out of state, but if I did use the name, I don't think they'd care.

That's good, then. Have you managed to narrow down your list?

#13 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:32 PM

Not really. No point anymore & I'd rather not discuss it.

#14 Hannah

Hannah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,785 posts
  • Interests:I love writing, reading, sports of any kind(my favorites being basketball & soccer), music, and hanging out with my friends and family.

AND, I of course love thinking of baby names even though that is a VERY far in the future thing for me because I'm still young!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:44 PM

i like your names. :)
Addison, Maida, Blakeley, Mikayla, Madison, Margaret, Vivian, Lilly, Emily and Rachel.

Addison- is adorable, one of my favorites.
Maida- not such a fan, actually.
Blakeley- cute, but i wouldn't add the "e" before "ey".
Mikayla- cute name, too common for me though. My friends is named Mikayla, spelled that way and all.
Madison- i like it.
Margaret- is cute. I think Maggie is a great nickname.
Vivian- probably my second favorite on your list, after Lilly.
Emily- i love the name, but it's just so common. I picked this name out for my cousin, because my aunt didn't have any ideas and the year after we named her it began to get VERY popular.
Rachel- not exactly a fan. we have so many Rachels in my family everyone of them ahve a different nickname, it gets confusing.

good luck!

#15 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:20 PM

Addison, honestly, this isn't my favorite name. for one, every time i hear it i think of the disease. also, i'm usually not big on unisex names, though they're unisex, i'm just not a fan of them on girls, the thing that i don't like about this name is it has "son" in it, i prefer adeline or addilyn.
Maida, i think this is a very unique name, it's growing on me!!
Blakeley, i don't really like this name, i would prefer blake, this just doesn't appeal to me
Mikayla, i like mikayla, it's not my favorite but i can see the appeal of it, though i prefer the spelling michaela, this one isn't bad
Madison, i'm also not a huge fan of madison, someone on this site once said that their husband who is a teacher said it seemed like every other girl he came across had this name
Margaret, i think this is a fabulous name, i love all of its nicknames, it is a beautiful classic
Vivian, i feel the same was as i do about margaret, such a beautiful classic
Lilly, i like lilly, its "cute" but i prefer it as a nickname for lillian, since your planning out nicknames for other names, you can use this too
Emily, emily is a pretty name, but it is just soo popular that it's turned me off
Rachel, another great name, which is quite common but i really like it!!

rachel margaret
rachel vivian
mikayla rachel
maida lilly
i think those would be really nice combos!

#16 Jellybean

Jellybean

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:-Watching movies<br />-Reading (specially poetry)<br />-Writing<br />-Playing with my daughter<br />-Travelling<br />-Learning different languages

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:41 PM

You sure like classic names!
Vivian and Maida are my favourites

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users