5 replies to this topic

#1 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

So there is a name I have always loved, but had recently forgotten until recently, Mortimer. Ironically, I hate the nicknames Mort and Morty. I honestly have no idea why I like the name Mortimer, it just seems so old fashioned and antique yet uncommon enough to not be bland. So a few questions!

1.) Any thoughts on the name in general?

2.) Does it seem usable? First name or middle name?

3.) Any combo's you could suggest?

(I really want to add some to my list but I can't seem to come up with any!)

#2 Madi Wolf Princess <3

Madi Wolf Princess <3

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Interests:Marilyn Manson, Five Finger Death Punch, being a creepy cute princess, being a wolf puppy, Harry Potter, Ravenclaw, Supernatural, Dean Winchester, the fall season, Halloween, sparkly things, the moon, the stars... The whole galaxy, the element air, learning of different religions/cultures, especially the more unconventional ones.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

It sounds really old... In etymology, the word part mort means death. Like mortician. I wouldn't want my baby's name to have a death reference. And. no, I don't think it is usable. Also, I mean no offense whatsoever. Sorry if I was too harsh. :)

#3 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

It sounds really old... In etymology, the word part mort means death. Like mortician. I wouldn't want my baby's name to have a death reference. And. no, I don't think it is usable. Also, I mean no offense whatsoever. Sorry if I was too harsh. :)

Your opinion is yours :) It's not like you said, "No! That name is horrible, don't use it on a poor child!"

Also, I know Mort(e) means "Death or Stagnant" in French, though the name itself means "Dead Sea". Honestly it's only a guilty pleasure, the hubby HATES it hahaha :P

#4 Madi Wolf Princess <3

Madi Wolf Princess <3

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 907 posts
  • Interests:Marilyn Manson, Five Finger Death Punch, being a creepy cute princess, being a wolf puppy, Harry Potter, Ravenclaw, Supernatural, Dean Winchester, the fall season, Halloween, sparkly things, the moon, the stars... The whole galaxy, the element air, learning of different religions/cultures, especially the more unconventional ones.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

Lol. Yeah. I mentioned Mordecai to my best guy friend and he was like "Mort means death. I wouldn't want my kid to have a death reference in his his name." I didn't tell him this, but I can't use Mordecai now because I want to marry him someday. And I only wanna choose names that he'd like. Lol.

#5 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

Lol. Yeah. I mentioned Mordecai to my best guy friend and he was like "Mort means death. I wouldn't want my kid to have a death reference in his his name." I didn't tell him this, but I can't use Mordecai now because I want to marry him someday. And I only wanna choose names that he'd like. Lol.

Actually, Mord doesn't mean Death exactly, its the German word for Murder which is pretty close I suppose, Though Mordecai means "Little Man" and has nothing to do with death considering its Hebrew :)

#6 Madi Wolf Princess <3

Madi Wolf Princess <3

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 907 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

Yeah, but now I think of death everytime I hear the name Mordecai. I like Malachi a lot better. Malachi also honors my best guy friend in two ways...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users