• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Since I need some me time right now I figured I'd get some opinions on my gp's.

Amadeus
Gideon
Theodoric
Romulus
Jasper
Truly/True
North
Ari
Asa

Delilah
Rike (Ree-kah)
Aisling
Caterina
Tamsin
Leigh
Karin

#2 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

Amadeus - I can see why this is a GP. It's a pretty heavy-duty name to me. I can see it being a fine middle if that's what you like, and I see no inherent problems besides it's weight.
Gideon - Love Gideon! Totally wearable. Not a personal fave but still very handsome. I'd say dashing.
Theodoric - afraid this is too out there for me. Doesn't help that I've never had any love of the Theo- names. Yes, even Theodore.
Romulus - Mm. I'm afraid I prefer his brother Remus, which seems a tad lighter and more modern. With the popularity of HP, Remus would probably wear fine. There was a Romulus too, I think, but I doubt it would get as much name recognition.
Jasper - I like it, and I think some of the Twi sheen has worn off. I doubt it wouldn't come up, but I think it'd be fine on a person.
Truly/True - I can see the appeal of True, but I'm afraid I don't share in it. Virtue names were never really my thing.
North - Eh. I've never warmed to direction names.
Ari - Like Ari better than Asa on a boy, though they are both nice. Ari has a slightly more masculine (somehow, I think....) ending than Asa, and it wouldn't get so mixed up with Ava.
Asa - Love Asa. Only reasons I can think this is a GP is that it is quite short, maybe a little feminine looking next to all the ubermasculine names that are trendy recently, and that soundalike Ava is so popular for girls

Delilah - Delilah is totally wearable, even with the biblical associations. I think the "Hey there, Delilah" is way worse, if anything.
Rike - I just think of the word that rhymes with this and begins with a D. Not a good association, especially for a girl
Aisling - I like these kind of names in theory, but I think they may be too hard to actually wear without some strong family history. The easier variant Ashlyn loses so much of Aisling's charm, though. Can't win with these, imo
Caterina - Love Caterina. Wouldn't use it, but think its totally wearable.
Tamsin - also totally wearable. Ditto Caterina
Leigh - Eh. Leigh just feels like a trendy suffix that's replaces "boring" ly's everywhere. Not sure it is substantial enough for a full first name. Oddly, LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of Lee on a boy.
Karin - Karin is one I'm neutral on. Kinda reminds me of the Naruto character but that's about it. It's fine. Totally wearable. Just not for me.

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Amadeus - I'm with Heather on this one. Its a bit heavy but a nice name overall. I also think it would work nicely in the middle name spot. (The perfect place for guilty pleasures if you ask me :)). I think Ambrose, Abram or even Aldus/Aldous would be more wearable alternatives.

Gideon- I think Gideon is one of those great underused names like Sebastian or Dominic that is just ready for a come back. Personnally I think anything over two syllables needs to have a usable nickname and, to me, Eon (Ian) would fit the bill.

Theodoric - I much prefer the less fussy Theodore, however I can understand the appeal of Theodoric. It just sounds a bit too much like an adjective to me since -ic usually means "relating to or characterized by." Like rhythm to rhythmic.

Romulus - I find the RAHM- sound very handsome and something you don't hear a lot of. Like Amadeus, I think this would make a very interesting middle name. Roman would be a great, more wearable alternative.

Jasper- I always think of the 101 Dalmatians when I hear this name. However, I think this name would be very wearable. Jase could work as a possible nickname. Personally prefer the variant Casper.

Truly/True - I always think of the character Truly Scrumptious from the movie Chitty-Chitty, Bang-Bang so I consider this more of a girls name, especially because of its similarity to Trudy. However, I do like Truett/Truitt or Truman nn True for a boy.

North - I really like the idea of West for a boy so I can sort of understand the appeal of North. But being a southerner, its not really my taste. I do however like a very similar sounding word name for a boy--Forth. It is an old Puritan name relating to the phrase: Go forth and ... rather what comes after third.

Ari - I do like this name, but with the popularity of Ariana and the like for girls with the nn Ari on the rise, I think this name should probably stay a guilty pleasure, or at least a nickname. Similar names: Harry, Aries, Arian/Arion & Aric.

Asa - I think Asa (nn Ace?) could be quite wearable for a boy. For some reason I want to associate this name with a bear. Is there a cartoon bear named Asa? Or am I thinking Oso?

Delilah - LOVE LOVE LOVE this name :) I think it would work well in the first or middle name spot. Hey, if Cain can be usable, why not Delilah?

Rike - I'm not sure how to pronounce this. Is it (RYE key), like Nike or rhymes with bike?

Aisling - I think I would prefer the anglicized spelling to avoid pronunciation confusion. Although this spelling is very pretty.

Caterina - I think of the Catherine variants, the less fussy Catrine/Katrine is my favorite, although this is nice as well. I think this would work nicely in the middle name spot or the first name spot with the possible nickname, Cat.

Tamsin - I have never been a fan of this name. Nothing about it really appeals to me other than the fact that it is a rather uncommon name.

Leigh - I'm going to second what Heather said, Leigh is just a tad boring to me. I would love it in the middle name spot except that it is overly popular and has become quite filler.

Karin - I really like this name, despite the fact that it starts with K (I abhor K names!)

#4 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Thanks guys!
I agree Amadeus is definitely a middle name only. I'm liking Samuel Amadeus atm. I like Brahm but idk how Martin would feel about it. I wish Martin liked Gideon, it was my favorite name for years before I realized that most people would find it odd. Theodore isn't my thing, it is firmly stuck in chimpunk territory but Theodoric has the nickname option of Ric or Theo both of which I like. Jasper is also stuck in gp land because Jasper Baker just doesn't sound right to me :( and I like Aries.

Rike is pronounced REE-kah. Its a short form/nickname for the feminizations of Heinrich and Friedrich. Delilah is a name that Martin cannot stand which for some unknown reason. Although he says Hey There Delilah is not what he wants to hear every time he introduces our daughter. But I think its more than that. Caterina is a no-no despite being my first love for a girl because Katherine Lee nn Kat is the first serious relationship Martin was in, she unfortunately knocks Leigh off of any list as well. I have a love/hate relationship with Karin since its a variant of Karen which has been utterly ruined for me to due a class mate.
Big wall o' text is over.
I really need to come up with combos for these.

#5 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

Here's what I've come up with. None of them are my favorites but they're the best I've got. And as gp's they'll never be used.
Samuel Amadeus
Gideon Micah "Ian/Eon"
Theodoric North "Ric"
Isaac Romulus
Jasper Elijah "Jace"
Marcus True
Aries Cade "Ari"
Asa James "Ace"

Delilah Jade
Rike Anne
Aisling Jane
Natalya Caterine
Tamsin Rae
Rebekah Leigh "Bec"
Josephine Karin

#6 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Amadeus - Not a favourite of mine, but it fits in style with the new trend of names such as Octavius, Julius, Cassius, Gaius, Augustus, Atticus etc. (Which are Roman in origin I believe) and other Saint names. Amadeus has a nice meaning though, "God's love", if you're a person of strong faith. As for "wearability", I agree it would work nicely in the mn spot. Samuel Amadeus is interesting but bothers me slightly. Both names begin with the same sounds - "Sam-" and "Am-" and include the same letters (E, U and S). It might just be slightly OCD on my part though.

Gideon - I had Gideon on my list for a long time. I just love how it looks and sounds. I don't think it's too unusual to use as a middle name and as far as nicknames go, I loved Dean.. though it's a slight stretch. Gideon Micah is an awesome combo!

Theodoric - Like Theodoric The Great.. Clearly of German origin. I like the "simple" Theodore or just plain Theo. Theodoric makes me think of the word 'dork' for some reason. It's like a mix of Theo and Derek. I think Theodore is quite regal enough on it's own. Also agree with Katie on it sounding like an adjective. It's just a little too much for me.

Romulus - First off, I really dislike the origin and story behind this name. (The whole idea of killing your own twin brother puts me off a fair amount!). Secondly, I dislike the sounds. It's a personal peeve though I suppose. Never been a fan of this one. It would however, again, fit with the style of Amadeus.

Jasper - Although Twilight and it's growing popularity have somewhat destroyed the appeal of Jasper for me, I still find it attractive! It's strong and masculine, but still has a soft side to it. Casper could also be a nice alternative. (If you don't mind the friendly ghost reference!)

Truly/True - Both of these variations are incredibly feminine in my eyes. I have True on my GP list (Girl only). I think it's the similarity to "Trudy" that throws me off when considered as a male name. I do like it though.

North - Not for me. Have you thought of West or Easton? Or perhaps even Norton nn North?

Ari - I have a baby cousin named Ariel (One of 2 male cousins with the same name). He goes by Ari. I however, have always seen Ariel as a very girly name. Maybe it's just due to watching "The Little Mermaid" one too many times. I can totally see it on a boy, but would prefer it on a little girl myself. He was named after family members, but at least in England, Ariel is definitely a predominantly male name. This is the reason they shorten it to something a little more unisex.

Asa - I'm a little indifferent to this one. I don't like or dislike it.. It's a lot less fancy than our other GPs though. I could definitely see it as a first name. Have you thought of Asher or Isaac?

Delilah - I really like this name. Always reminds me of the song "Hey There Delilah" by Plain White T's. I love the sound of it and prefer it to the likes of Delia. Good thing is, it has a grown up feel, but still fits with the childish and common "Elle" names. The meaning of the name is a little... iffy though.

Rike - I'm actually unsure as to the pronunciation? Like rake with an "eye" sound instead of "ay"? Either way, I'm not a fan. NMS.

Aisling - I love this one. The spelling intrigues me! I do tend to GP all of the names that might be hard to prn. like Niamh, Sinead, Roisin, Aoife etc., so I get you putting it on this list. It would make a LOVELY middle name! And the meaning is darling! ("Dream, Vision").

Caterina - A gorgeous variant to all of the Katherine/Catherine's out there. Caterina Scorsone is the first person I think of. I like Katie's suggestion of Katrin though. It's still elegant but more simple in it's femininity. Cat or Tera would be adorable nicknames!

Tamsin - Another one of those names I don't really care for. Not for any particular reason either! Love the meaning though (Twin! So I would like it..).

Leigh - This one is just a little dated for my liking. When incorporated in to another name (Emily, Callie, Amelia etc.) it adds a little more spark.

Karin - I rather like this one! I know a Karina and a Carin. I just about adore this spelling. Another variation of Katherine. It looks gorgeous and sounds so elegant and feminine, but not plain. Would work wonderfully as either a first or middle name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users