10 replies to this topic

#1 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

Hey everyone! I know it's been a few months since I've been around. I've been really busy with work and my home life has been pretty crazy. I've been reading a lot lately and have really been enjoying the Beautiful Creatures series. One of the characters is a 17 year old girl named Ridley. I've heard of Ridley Scott, the male director, but never gave much thought to the name. Now the character in the book named Ridley is SPOILER ALERT a dark witch, so I don't exactly love the name because the character is great. I just have really taken a liking to the name!

So, please give me your thoughts on the name.

#2 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

Well the only person I know with that name is Ridley Scott so my first reaction was for a boy. I actually like the way it sounds on a girl, though :) It's nice.
  • alyssa897 likes this

#3 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

I really am not a fan of it on girls, but I think it's handsome for boys. Not anything I'd use myself, but I'd like to meet a kid named Ridley.
  • alyssa897 likes this

#4 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

Well the only person I know with that name is Ridley Scott so my first reaction was for a boy. I actually like the way it sounds on a girl, though :) It's nice.

Thanks for your opinion. When I was reading the book and the character was introduced I immediately thought it was an odd name for a girl, but it quickly grew on me. It's been awhile since I've immediately loved a name. I don't even like it so much for a future daughter (although I would consider using it), I kind of like it for myself! I would never change my name, but I would love if Ridley was my name.

I really am not a fan of it on girls, but I think it's handsome for boys. Not anything I'd use myself, but I'd like to meet a kid named Ridley.

Thanks for the comment. I also think it's be awesome to meet someone with the name.
  • Addison likes this

#5 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

I read this topic but didn't reply straight away. When I first read it I didn't really like Ridley on either gender, but now that I've taken time to think about it, I kind of like it, especially for a girl. It's cute, though I can see the masculine elements in it, but I think it would be pretty cute on a girl. IMO Ridley and Emerson would make great sisters :3

#6 Barbie

Barbie

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, sign language, riding horses, volunteering, working with children, and teaching martial arts!

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

It is funny, just the other day, I was teaching a class with a six year old girl named Riggley... similar to Ridley. But, I live near the Chicago area, so her parents are probably Cubs fans and named her after the baseball stadium :)

Ridley sure is cute though! <3

#7 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

I read this topic but didn't reply straight away. When I first read it I didn't really like Ridley on either gender, but now that I've taken time to think about it, I kind of like it, especially for a girl. It's cute, though I can see the masculine elements in it, but I think it would be pretty cute on a girl. IMO Ridley and Emerson would make great sisters :3

Thanks for the comment. :) I was kind of the same way, when I first heard it I thought "well, that's kind of a weird name, especially for a girl" but now I'm in love! :D Ridley and Emerson would make an adorable sib set for girls.

It is funny, just the other day, I was teaching a class with a six year old girl named Riggley... similar to Ridley. But, I live near the Chicago area, so her parents are probably Cubs fans and named her after the baseball stadium :)

Ridley sure is cute though! <3

Riggley sounds like a name in the Harry Potter-universe! Kinda cool though.

Thanks, I think it's cute too. :wub:

#8 A.Camille

A.Camille

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Fashion, literature, sports, cosmetology, + daydreaming!

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

I'm not quite sure what it is about this name, but I'm not much of a fan of Ridley. It fits with the Hadley's and Finley's but there's something about the Rid- part that I don't care for. I'm all for using names you love though!

#9 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

I watched the movie and I like the name Ridley too. Ridley and Emerson are an adorable subset.

#10 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

I loooove Ridley! However, on a boy B) I'm sure if maybe I read the book and had an female association to it maybe I'd see some femininity to it, but its all boy in my opinion. Ah I do love how Ridley and Emerson sound together though, regardless. CUTE! <3

#11 agallaher12

agallaher12

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:11 AM

Cute it could work as a unisex name but the only down fall for me is when I read it my first thought was Riddilin (a medication for ADHD)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users