Boys names on Girls

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Becky

Becky

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Being a mommy to Aria and Lucia (and soon our little Cara)!!!

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:14 PM

I've actually never heard it on anything but a little boy!

Same here! I haven't met many Sages, but they've all been boys!

#22 meg

meg

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:28 PM

Where I live its pretty much just your traditional unisex names used. It amazes me looking at the polls that people call there girls Ryan and Dylan, Noah, Hayden etc. Thay are absolutely boy names in my opinion.

#23 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:36 PM

Where I live its pretty much just your traditional unisex names used. It amazes me looking at the polls that people call there girls Ryan and Dylan, Noah, Hayden etc. They are absolutely boy names in my opinion.

I feel the same way; especially with Ryan, Dylan and Noah. I'm on the fence with Hayden - but in general I don't like the name. Most boy names on girls irritate me. One of my biggest pet peeves (and I don't mean to offend anyone who might have named their child one of these) are the Mc/Mac or son names. They literally mean "son of" so I don't think they're appropriate on a girl. I'm more inclined to be more sympathetic to someone who's using say a family name like Carson or MacKenzie, but for someone who has no emotional ties to that sort of name I just don't get.

#24 Becky

Becky

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Being a mommy to Aria and Lucia (and soon our little Cara)!!!

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:42 PM

I feel the same way; especially with Ryan, Dylan and Noah. I'm on the fence with Hayden - but in general I don't like the name. Most boy names on girls irritate me.

I agree! I want my daughters to be easily distinguished as girls by their names. My daughter Aria has a friend named Kendra and I was talking to her (Kendra's) mom once. We were talking about younger siblings and she said something along the lines of "Parker is always taking things from Kendra's room," so I said something like "Well, you know how little brothers are!" She looked at me kind of funny and told me Parker was her other daughter. I was mortified. I'm never going to do that to my child! I like pretty names: Aria, Lucia (Loo-sha), and Cara! You can tell those are girls from looking at the names. I guess you never know. Maybe someday, when I'm a grandma, my girls will be naming their sons Kailee and Jennifer (lets hope not!!!).

#25 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:24 AM

Maybe someday, when I'm a grandma, my girls will be naming their sons Kailee and Jennifer

That made me burst out laughing! :)

#26 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:57 PM

Absolutely agreed. I think I'm especially defensive of Hayden being used on a boy because of my cousin; it just drives me literally insane to see it on so many girls nowadays. I'm also a fan of feminine names for girls and masculine names for boys, and I'm hoping to goodness that Sinéad, Shelby and Victoire never get mistaken for boys :)

#27 Melissa

Melissa

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:My husband and I are very into basketball and soccer and our daughters are enjoying sports too. My oldest daughter does gymnastics, soccer, and dance and my youngest does soccer and dance, so those are my interests rights now. <br /><br />I also love kids and my job. My husband and I's jobs both involve children.

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:38 PM

I dislike boys names on girls. When a teacher gets a list of students I don't want them to have to guess if my child is a boy or a girl.

I agree. I don't want my child coming home on the first day of school saying "the teacher thought I was a boy". There are tons of girls' names to pick from, why choose a boy's?

#28 3boxers

3boxers

Notable Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:I hate overly sensitive people and internet censorship

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9608471

&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9608471&quot;&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.babynames.com/V5/images/vote.gif&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; alt=&quot;VOTE on my Name List&quot;&gt;&lt;/a&gt;

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:23 PM

I think it depends on the sound of the name. Some "boy" names can turn into unisex names or can fit with a girl. I don't think it really matters as long as you don't name your kid a curse word Or something like dirty sanchez LOL...

Although....I think a terrible boy's name on a girl would be Norman.

#29 3boxers

3boxers

Notable Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:I hate overly sensitive people and internet censorship

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9608471

&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9608471&quot;&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.babynames.com/V5/images/vote.gif&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; alt=&quot;VOTE on my Name List&quot;&gt;&lt;/a&gt;

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

Where I live its pretty much just your traditional unisex names used. It amazes me looking at the polls that people call there girls Ryan and Dylan, Noah, Hayden etc. Thay are absolutely boy names in my opinion.

I've known a female Ryan since childhood...so for me it's always been associated as a unisex name. I don't think ryan is a really masculine sounding name. Dylan either.

#30 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:polka dots, strawberries, comfortable clothes, chocolate, good music, baby things, working with kids, blogging, my friends

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:42 PM

A name is a name is a name. People will gripe about a girl name on a boy or vice versa till the end of time. My name (Nicole) is a feminine version of Nicholas, both having Nic or Nicky as a nickname (WHICH I CANNOT STAND).

I think if you meet your daughter and she looks more like a Logan than a Stephanie, by all means name her what YOU want to. After all she is your kid, no one else has to deal with her as often as you do, and if kids tease her, oh well. It just makes her all the more special and those people are just jealous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users