3 replies to this topic

#1 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:35 PM

I've decided to update an old story. It is set in the old west at a ranch owned by an old man with many children. I call the story Kidd Ranch, since there are many children at the ranch and because the owner's last name is Kidd.

Basic description -

A lot is going on at the Kidd Ranch this summer. One of the Kidd girls is getting married, the wedding is all planned and the guest list made, but it seems that their will be a few last minute additions to the party. A stranger has come to town hoping to do business with Kidd Ranch and it doesn’t look as if he is planning to leave anytime soon. Things are going to change; old friends will become lovers and both deaths and births are sure to follow.

Bolded are the names I need help with.

Travis Kidd "Old Travis" is now well into his sixties and depends on his elder children for the day to day running of the ranch. He and his first wife, Rhonda, had seven children. Maybe looking for a new name, not sure if I like Rhonda any more (EDIT-Decided to use Ruby)

Ethan (28) is the eldest of their children and is unmarried.
Josephine (27) is married to Lou Freeman and they have three boys, Christian (6), Daniel (4), and Peter (2)
Robert (26) is married to Nellie, they have one daughter Erin (3) Need a more period friendly name (EDIT-Decided to use Matilda nn Matty)
Leslie (24) is married to Jess Holter, no children
May (22) is married to Chester Laws, have son Charlie (2)
Trudy (20) is engaged to Alan Miles
Jacob (19) is single, best friends with main character Kare.

His second wife, Alice, gave him four children...
Ryan (14) - Not sure about this name He is a shy and quiet boy. (EDIT-Changed to Aaron)
Janice (13)
Claire (11)
Michael (9)

His third wife, Placid Peace-Kidd (I imagine as a hippy like character pre-hippy era) gave him three children...
Troder (7) - Maybe keep as nn for longer name or find new name but would like something a bit off the wall (EDIT-Decided to use Thodorus nn Toad)
Fishly (7) - Same as Troder, maybe Felisha nn Fishly or Felicity (EDIT-Now Ophelia nn Feely)
Abisol (5)

When Travis' younger brother Tyler and his wife Ruth died, Travis took in his four nieces and nephews...
Tara (18)
Jared (16)
Beth (15)
Heather (12)

The main character of this story is Kare Clarke, she and her younger brother and sister were taken in by Travis Kidd when her parents died. Her parents owned a Horse ranch near the Kidd Ranch and were good friends of Travis and his first wife.
Kare Clarke (19)
Shine Clarke (18) maybe spelled Shyn, but dont want it to seem to modern (EDIT- I think I'm gonna go with Shyn...)
Will Clarke (10)

Another character not part of the Kidd "Family" and is a love interest for Kare is James Grey (32).

What do you think of the names? Do any stand out as not fitting with the story. Any suggestions for the bolded names?

#2 Kristi18

Kristi18

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Name Games Moderator
  • 6,906 posts
  • Interests:Spending life with my husband.
    Cuddling with my kids.
    Hanging with my family.
    Enjoying God's creation.
    Laughing with friends.

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

Travis Kidd's first wife
Amanda
Hannah
Miranda
Rachel
Rebecca
Regina
Reba
Ramona
Ruby
Ruth

Robert and Nellie's daughter
Addie
Beth-Ann
Betsy
Emma
Emily
Elizabeth
Eliza
Esther
Eve
Jenny
Katie
Lillian
Laura
Maribeth
Polly

Travis and Alice's first son
Matthew
Adam
David
Gabriel
John
Joseph
Timothy

Travis and Placid's twins
I'm assuming these are both girls??
Temperance (Tempy)
Golden
Scarlett
Justice
Liberty (Libby)
Mercy
Meadow
Poppy
Posie
Prairie
Flower
Genesis
Journey
Sunny
Stormy
Cloudy
Eden
Fidelity
Compassion
Gardenia
Heaven
Love
Trinity
Victory
Willow
Virtrue (True, Vi)
I think unusual nature or virtue names would work well. People during this time were limited to names they had heard, names from the Bible or other books they were privileged to own, family trees, names from history they studied in school and names of items they saw on a daily basis.

Shine Clarke alternatives
If you stick with Shine, I would use the spelling you already have. Using the "y" does modernize it quite a bit.
Shaye
Shy
Shade
Faith
Grace
Hope

Good Luck

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

Sorry Troder is supposed to be a boy...

For first wife I like Amanda and Ruby
But is Ruby too similar to Trudy?

For Robert & Nellie's daughter I like Addy or maybe Matty/Maddy.

For Travis and Alice's first son...I like Adam.
Any more suggestions.

For "Fishly" I like Prairie & Posey...
What what do you think of Ophelia nn Feely/Phely?

For "Troder" I'm thinking something greek to match Ophelia...Alastrom (not sure about nn, "Astro"?), Petro(s) "Petey" (maybe too matcy for Phely), Thodorus or Todos "Toad"

#4 Kristi18

Kristi18

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Name Games Moderator
  • 6,906 posts
  • Interests:Spending life with my husband.
    Cuddling with my kids.
    Hanging with my family.
    Enjoying God's creation.
    Laughing with friends.

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

For Troder...

Absalom
Obadiah *Obie
Philomon *Philo
Theophilus *Theo *Ophie
Zophar
Hezekiah *Hezzie *Heza

Most of the names make me think of a mother who is well read and schooled; not a "hippy" type mother.

I don't think Ruby is too close to Trudy. Also, Trudy is the daughter of the character you are considering naming Ruby, so it would reason Trudy was named intentionally to sound close to Ruby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users