Photo

Azaria or Azariah?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Azaria or Azariah? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Which spelling do you prefer?

1. Azaria (8 votes [53.33%])

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

2. Azariah (7 votes [46.67%])

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Heather Leigh

Heather Leigh

Superstar Baby Namer

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:45 PM

So, it turns out Roger was having misgivings about the name Aurora. Then, I saw it on an "up-and-coming names" list online and started having misgivings as well. I went out of my way to pick a unique name for my first daughter, and I was afraid that what happened to my son (he's 1 of 5 Alexs in his class) would happen to my little Aurora.

So I went with my original plan (before we got into the whole "has to go with Sunshine" discussion) and suggested some unusual Biblical names to my husband (like my daughter Ariella's name). And he actually liked one - Azariah.

So my questions are:

1. Which spelling looks better for a girl - Azaria or Azariah?

2. What pronounciation comes to mind when you see it? The original pronounciation is Aah-za-RYE-uh, but I'm pronouncing it Uh-ZAR-ree-uh to make it more feminine. My daughter's name is originally ARE-ree-ell-uh but we call her Aah-ree-ell-uh and no one questions it . . .so do you think we can get away with the alternate pronounciation?

Thanks for your help!
Heather

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

Looking at it I would have pronounced it the way you would like to

#3 Lena

Lena

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

I would also have pronouced it the way you did. I really like it, different but cute.

#4 KristaDeanne

KristaDeanne

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

I see it as Azaria being prn As-ARE-ee-uh and Azariah being prn As-uh-RYE-uh....looks like two completely different names to me. I like both spellings but prefer As-ARE-ee-uh as the prn.

#5 Guest_erowyn_*

Guest_erowyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

i prefer the traditional prn to your uh zar a one. that just comes out funny to me and i dont think it make its more feminine at all i think it actually does the opposite and makes it more masculine

#6 Cadence & Nathan

Cadence & Nathan

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

I like the spelling Azariah but, I think, with the way you would like to pronounce it, I would go with Azaria. It looks more like a-ZAR-ree-uh to me. Whereas Azariah looks like aa-zur-RYE-uh...lol Both are beautiful though!

#7 Guest_erowyn_*

Guest_erowyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

ok i just figured out what it is its hank azaria thats what i think of. the guy who does all the voices on the simpsons. so thats how i pronounce that and thats why i like the other spelling better because it sounds more like a girls name than azaria which is pronounced just like cadence just said a-zar-ree-uh

#8 Guest_Ozdust08_*

Guest_Ozdust08_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:48 PM

I would say it, Uh-ZAR-ree-uh too!

#9 Guest_Evy_*

Guest_Evy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:55 PM

Uh-ZAR-ree-uh is how I would pronounce it. I would just like to say BRAVO on such a wonderful name. Unique AND gorgeous.

#10 Heather Leigh

Heather Leigh

Superstar Baby Namer

• Senior Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone!

I'm leaning towards Azaria without the H, because I think you're right, that it looks more like it goes with the pronounciation we're using.

Ally, I think we'll keep Aurora on the back burner in case we have another baby. After all, this one will need a playmate closer to his/her age!

#11 katie.

katie.

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,257 posts
  • Interests:Reading, watching movies, swimming

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

Azaria reminds me of Azaria Chamberlain, the baby who was taken by the dingo, but i suppose that wouldn't matter so much outside of Australia

#12 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:18 PM

I really like Azaria. The H almost makes it look a tad trendy, the a is simple and pretty still. I think you can get away with the alternate pronunciation> I honestly dont think many will actually think to pronounce it the correct way.

#13 Heather Leigh

Heather Leigh

Superstar Baby Namer

• Senior Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:00 AM

Azaria reminds me of Azaria Chamberlain, the baby who was taken by the dingo, but i suppose that wouldn't matter so much outside of Australia

I am aware of the connection, but I figured that was so long ago and in Australia, that I didn't think many people would remember that.

Do you think they will? And do you think it matters? I mean, it's not like people will stop naming their daughters Madeline because of Madeline McCann.

#14 Eliza-Belle

Eliza-Belle

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:38 AM

So, it turns out Roger was having misgivings about the name Aurora. Then, I saw it on an "up-and-coming names" list online and started having misgivings as well. I went out of my way to pick a unique name for my first daughter, and I was afraid that what happened to my son (he's 1 of 5 Alexs in his class) would happen to my little Aurora.

So I went with my original plan (before we got into the whole "has to go with Sunshine" discussion) and suggested some unusual Biblical names to my husband (like my daughter Ariella's name). And he actually liked one - Azariah.

So my questions are:

1. Which spelling looks better for a girl - Azaria or Azariah?

2. What pronounciation comes to mind when you see it? The original pronounciation is Aah-za-RYE-uh, but I'm pronouncing it Uh-ZAR-ree-uh to make it more feminine. My daughter's name is originally ARE-ree-ell-uh but we call her Aah-ree-ell-uh and no one questions it . . .so do you think we can get away with the alternate pronounciation?

Thanks for your help!
Heather

I like the spelling without the h.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users