#1 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:32 AM

I love, love, love the name Arianna.
It is my best friends name and how amazing would it be to use it? I added it to my favorites. <3

Just recently though I read the name Ariana on an online magazine.
So my question to you is pretty straight-forward: Which spelling do you prefer? Which would you suggest that I use, Arianna or Ariana? [If you like the name at all, which, by the way, do you? :P]

Plus, it is a pretty long names (regardless of the spelling).
I'm not overly into nicknames, but I ask you: What do you think could be a pretty nickname that I could use to shorten it up a bit?

Oh, and I almost forgot ;)
Let's talk middle names,please, because I am completely out of ideas.

{I considered the combo Delia Arianne ages ago in my head, but that's about as far as I got}
I think I need your precious help, ladies!

PS. for reference, Arianna is the Italian version of the name Ariadne, which is Greek and means "Most Holy".
Just in case it might help someone :D

Thanks in advance!

#2 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

This was one I was wondering about just the other day! I like Ariana's spelling better than Arianna. I was just worried that people would be more prone to mispronouncing Ariana, so I went with Arianna. I would go with whichever one you think would be easier to pronounce. I love both names.

As far as nicknames go, I was wondering that too because I like Ari, but I think some people might mishear that as Harry with an accent. ;) I don't really care for Ann or Anna, so Ari was the only one I liked.

For middle names, I have Arianna Juliet on my list of favs, though I will probably change it because some people said the names are both really strong and compete with each other too much. Maybe Arianna Willow. Is that too soft? I'm not sure! :D

Some other ideas off the top of my head:
Arianna Isolde
Arianna Camille
Arianna Paige
Arianna Elise
Arianna Daphne
Arianna Hadley
Arianna Jade
Arianna Lucille
Arianna Brielle

.... Idk, just some thoughts.... hope I helped!

#3 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

I'm not a fan of names like Arianna, Eliana, Adriana, Arabella, Ariella etc...

I think its because I find them to be too flowerly and drawn out--because I do like some of the names that are embedded in those types of names like, Anna/Ana, Bella, and Ella/Ellie. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of overly flowerly/princess-y names.

So of course, i would suggest using something more like Ara or Anna, but that's just my opinion.

I think a one syllable middle name would go best with Ariana/Arianna because of of its length. And I do prefer the spelling Ariana, because I like the prn. AIR-ee-ahwn-uh or ARE-ee-awhn-uh over AIR-ee-an-uh

#4 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

Thanks Rosie & Mishada!

I get your point, Rose, and I respect your opinion. Arianna doesn't seem overly "flowerly" or "princess-y" to me, however ;)

As for the pronunciation, I don't see much difference between AIR-ee-ahwn-uh & AIR-ee-an-uh [which you say you don't love]..
.. that must have to do with my Italian-ness and the fact that pronunciation is usually easy for us and doesn't have all of these nuances.

Still :D I'd prn. it are-ee-ANN-uh , I think, which is the prn. we use in Italy.
But I don't know.

As far as nicknames go, I was wondering that too because I like Ari, but I think some people might mishear that as Harry with an accent. unsure.gif I don't really care for Ann or Anna, so Ari was the only one I liked

Ari is what we sometimes call my best friend for short.. it is just easier than saying Arianna everytime :lol:
I think Anna would take out the beauty of the name, but maybe Annie? It seems more cute and temporary than just a big fat Anna.
I don't know, really... one nickname that I call my best friend than I know makes her mad.. is Riri. I use it everytime I wanna tease her :D
I think it's a childhood nickname, probably what her brother called her.

As for middle names, I actually don't mind Arianna Juliet.

I also like the flow of

Arianna Camille
Arianna Paige
Arianna Elise
Arianna Daphne
Arianna Lucille

I think my favourites are Arianna Elise & Arianna Lucille.. though maybe Arianna Lucy is better?

I adore Daphne, and I think it's cool that both are Greek... but the flow would depend on the last name I guess.

I still can't find 'the one' .. the name that just clicked the way Grace Maryam did.
Oh, well. I still got time :P

#5 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hmm, let me see if I can explain better.

I would pronounce Ariana like AIR-ee-on-uh or ARE-ee-on-uh, the -ana ending being pronounced as ON-uh, not ANN-uh. And I would pronounce Arianna as AIR-ee-ann -uh, which is how I think you are pronouncing it.

Oh, and I'm sorry if I seemed harsh before---I do think it is a nice name, and it is quite pretty. I just would never use it myself.

#6 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

Oh, yes, I see the difference now, thanks! Though -ana prn. ON still sounds a little strange to my ears ;)

Don't worry, I didn't think you were being harsh at all (:

#7 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

I only know one Ariana, and she pronounces it like ARE-ee-on-uh, so that's the one I'm used to ;)

#8 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

Yeah, habits die hard.
I know, because it's strange to hear my best friend's name pronounced something entirely different from what I'm used to ;)

#9 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:17 PM

I absolutely love Arianna. I think both spellings (Ariana and Arianna) are pretty. I also like Aryannah, which is a guilty pleasure spelling that I would never use! ;) So don't worry! lol

Ari and Aria are pretty nicknames.

I pronounce Arianna/Ariana like ARE-ee-on-uh by the way.

I think it's a beautiful choice Nadia!

#10 Amber Buckley

Amber Buckley

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:04 PM

I love that name! I used it for my first ever D&D character, but I spelled it Aryiana just to change it up a bit.

As far as a nickname goes, Ari (ah-ree) or Annah work really well.

And for middle names, no matter which spelling, but I'm going to use mine just because it's habit,

Aryiana Marie
Aryiana Rose
Aryiana Grace
Aryiana Bree
Aryiana Nicole (Nikole)

Just to name a few. ;)

#11 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

I've only ever heard it pronounced like Are-ee-ON-uh, and I like that better than Air-ee-ann-uh. It is very pretty either way though. I think the Arianna spelled that way looks like it should be pronounced Are-ee-ON-uh because it is similar to Abrianna, Alanna, etc., while Ariana looks more like it should be Air-ee-ANN-uh because of names like Diana. That's just my opinion, though.

As far as nicknames go, I don't care for Annie. It just doesn't seem quite as pretty as Ari. I never hear it and think it sounds gorgeous and light. Annie just reminds me of that play. Just not fond of it.

No offense, but I disagree with you Permanent Rose.... I don't find Arianna/Ariana "flowery" or "princess-y" at all. If anything, I think of birds. I realize that it has a lot of syllables and that is a bit unnecessary when you love the base word. I do like Anna, Bella, Ellie, Ella, etc., but I wouldn't ever use them as first names because they seem kinda "cutesy" to me. Almost all of my top ten first names are three or even four syllables. Not that there aren't plenty of beautiful one or two syllable names, my style just tends to use them as middle names. Guess I'm just weird that way...

Anyways, good luck!
~Heather~

#12 Amanda Lynn

Amanda Lynn

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,146 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, playing name games.

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:31 PM

I love Ariana/Arianna. For me, the spellings are interchangeable. It's pronouced the same way here most of the time (The italian version). In fact, it's rather rare to have it pronouced Are-ee-on-uh or Air-ee-on-uh.

I tend to favor Ariana for a longer last name and Arianna for a shorter one.

I've heard the nickname Aria (Are-ee-ah) for it as well.

#13 -Tara

-Tara

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:27 PM

Arianna<3
cute

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users