6 replies to this topic

#1 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

What do you think of the name Waverly for a girl? Does Waverly Claire flow well? And do you think Nathaniel, Alana, Cadence and Waverly are a good sibset? Or just Cadence and Waverly? Should I be weary of any connection people might have to the show Wizards of Waverly Place? How about alternative spellings? Waverlie, Waverlee or Waverley?

#2 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

personally im fine with Waverly, and it was on my list for a long time. i havnt seen the show :s so cant comment on that. Waverly Claire sounds lovely. Im just wondering what nickname she will have...wave? or not have one?
i think Cadence and Waverly sound great together. (and with the others too)

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

Waverly makes me think of The Princess Bride (the book) more than it does The Wizards of Waverly Place. I know I'm probably only one in thousands have actually read the book but the last few chapters are about what happens after Westley rescues Buttercup and they have a baby girl named Waverly.

As to the name, I think Waverly Claire is very pretty and it goes nicely with Cadence, Nathaniel & Alana. However, it is a bit long for everyday use in my book...normally if a name is three or more syllables it has to have a usable nn for it to be wearable. So possible nns...Avie/Avy?

#4 JENN2688

JENN2688

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

I LOVE Waverly! It has been on my list for a while now! And I like Katie's suggestion of the nn Avie / Avy! Waverly Claire is just beautiful! :(

#5 Jenn Elizabeth

Jenn Elizabeth

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Personally, I'm not too fond of it. It's just NMS.
However, I don't really see anything wrong with it, and Waverly Claire flows quite nicely!

#6 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

I think Waverly is a neat name--I'm such a sucker for unique names that aren't crazy or spelled weird, and Wavely fits that perfectly. Have you read the Joy Luck Club? One of the girls in that is named Waverly, and I think that's what humanizes the name for me rather than making me immediately associate it with the Disney Channel show or labeling it as "out there."

While I do think it might be a name that would work better on a book character, it has potential to be just perfect amount of unique but still normal enough to use on a child. The only bad associations I can think of are the TV show obviously, and that Waverly is close to the word "wavering" which because of its meaning makes the word (and thus name) have a weak feel to it.

I see that you've been liking the nickname Avi for it? I presume you're pronouncing it like Ava based on the prn. of Waverly--I will warn you that with the spelling Avi you might get Ah-vie a lot. I think I like it spelled Avy better--have you ever considered just using the name Avy Alice Claire? Or even just Avy Claire? What about Avery? Sorry if you've already addressed these questions in other posts---as much as I think Waverly is a great name, I'm having a little trouble seeing it on a baby, and there's just something, no matter how much I say it, that feels just a little off.

Sorry this post turned into a novel. You have such a great naming style, might I add--as someone who has a unique yet pronounceable name, let me tell you how great it is not to be one of the Emilys/Jessicas/Laurens and have a name to call my own--and I'm sure your children will appreciate that someday too.

#7 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

I haven't read the Joy Luck Club but it comes up when I research Waverly. In Friday Night Lights, there is a character named Waverly.

I've been trying to avoid A names. With my name and my stepdaughter's name beginning with A, I feel it would be an overload. LOL. However, I have considered Avery on and off. It's one of those names I like but not enough to use the name. Much like Gemma. I am a bit of the opposite with Waverly. I can see it for a baby or a little girl but I can't imagine older than 5. I'll look around at various ages and try to imagine if their name was Waverly. Sometimes I see it and other times I don't. I try and say it out loud. I'll even address Cadence as Waverly to test it out. LOL

And thank you. <_< That is what I wanted to go for with names. I was one of many growing up and I wanted a unique name for my child. Though, if I was having a boy, it's Noah all the way!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users