2 replies to this topic

#1 ashtona731

ashtona731

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

So, I decided to give the polls section of the main site another try, and it didn't work out. Now I remember why I said I wouldn't post my own polls there anymore. I was attempting an elimination poll to clean up my list, but no one could be polite, so I'm turning to the forums. Below is a list of all the names I'm considering as firsts for a future daughter. Can you help me out? Eliminate one at a time, and tell why. Thanks!

Victoria
Piper
Juliana
Amelia
Cora
Diana
Aurora
Elodie
Delilah
Eleanor
Eleanora
Charlotte
Willa
Liliana
Lenora
Eliana
Meredith
Evangeline
Rosalie
Athena
Genevieve
Brenna
Calliope
Coralie
Genesis
Analiese
Aurelia
Eden
Mirana
Leora
Freya
Ardyn
Annika
Everly / Everleigh
Novalie
Anwen
Gwendolyn
Anastasia
Mila
Mira

#2 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

Hi there! So, eliminating them one at a time would be kind of difficult with such a list, and it's not how I'm used to giving feedback, so I've decided to categorize them and then give you further details about how I feel about each name. I hope this helps you!

Love

Cora - Lovely, sophisticated, short-and-to-the-point, with dashes of strong and spunky. What's not to love?

Eleanor/Eleanora - I'm a fan of classic names in general, and Eleanor/Eleanora has been on and off my list for a while. I just love the classic feel and the nickname options.
Eden - Another one I've loved for years. I love the spunk of it, but it's pretty at the same time. The only reason it's not on my list is that I'm unsure if it has too strong a biblical connection to be used by me, someone who's not religious.

Freya - Love! Currently sitting on my 'maybes' list. It's just a great name, unusual but familiar enough not to be weird, with a lovely sound.

Gwendolyn - This and Guinevere have been on and off my list for a while - I go through phases of loving them and being unsure whether I could actually use them. I think Gwendolyn is a nice name for a girl.

Mira - In the same vein as Cora, short and sweet and lovely.

Victoria - Really elegant and strong-but-feminine. A great name, just not one I would use (mostly because I'm not a fan of nicknames Vicky or Tori, and with long names I usually like to have a nickname that I would use at least sometimes).

Juliana - Really pretty, I just wouldn't use it myself. (I'm not that big on J names on girls, maybe because mine starts with J).

Amelia - A nice classic. There's just something about it that I've never loved (I like the full name, but none of its nickname options).

Charlotte - Really pretty, classic name.

Lenora - Really pretty but strong, and I'm a fan of different nicknames so Lennie would be cute.

Eliana - I used to love Ellie names, but they're getting so popular I'm just a little sick of them.

Evangeline - This one was on my list for a long time (along with Evelina, which is a lovely name if you're interested) but over time I just lost interest in them, I guess. I like the long, elegant, vaguely medieval feel (I could see Evangeline and Gwendolyn as sisters, or even Eleanora and Evangeline).

Rosalie - Nice name, and I have sister name Rosaline on my list, but I kind of a have a policy against full first names ending with -ie.

Genevieve - I really like this name. I just think it's really elegant and pretty.

Calliope - This was a name I used to really like with the nickname Callie, but I'm just not sure now because the pronunciation is kind of awkward. It would be a cool name to have, though. Like, total protagonist-of-a-YA-book worthy.

Analiese - I love the name, but don't love the spelling. It looks much more complete to me with two N's, whether its Annaliese (my preferred spelling, on my list) or Annalise or Anneliese. 

Aurelia - I really like some old Latin/Greek names, and this is one of them. It's a bit of a mouthful, but nothing I couldn't get used to. I like that it's girly but fresh, kind of a nice spin on Aurora.

Leora - I haven't heard this much, but I like that it's classic and unique at the same time (it reminds me of Leonora). 

Ardyn - Again, love the name, don't love the spelling. Arden is on my list, mainly for girls but I've considered it for boys also. I just love that it feels strong and uncommon, but still a little bit familiar.

Neutral

Piper - It's an okay name, but I don't see it growing well. I just can't see it on a grown woman.

Diana - I like the regal feel, but because it's a little outdated it's hard for me to picture on one of today's baby girls.

Delilah - It's alright, I could take or leave it.

Liliana - This used to be my favorite name in, like, middle school. And now I don't like it that much anymore, but it's still a good name.

Meredith - Just one of those names I've always been 'meh' about. Don't love it, don't hate it. Wouldn't mind it on someone else's kid.

Coralie - Just plain Cora is perfect. The -lie is not necessary and just kinda makes it overly trendy-sounding.

Mirana - Never heard of this, I'm not sure if you mis-typed Miranda (which I think is a nice, strong girl's name that would probably go in 'like') or if this is a name of it's own, which would belong in neutral because I'm just not sure.

Annika - It's a nice enough name, just not really my style.

Anwen - This one has always felt clumsy for me to try to say, so that's kind of a big barrier.

Mila - Not a bad name, but it feels a bit too nickname-y to stand on it's own. I'd prefer it as a nickname for Camilla/variations.

Dislike

Aurora - Nothing wrong with Aurora, I'm just not really a fan. It's a bit too frilly for me, and it seems like a huge jump even if you went from girly Aurora to tomboy Rory.

Elodie - Maybe it's because I like the name Melody, or that it ends with -ie, but the name Elodie has just always felt unfinished to me, like it's lacking something.

Willa - I've just never liked it, no particular reason why (although it might be because I love Will on boys).

Athena - Here's the thing: I love Greek mythology, and those who love Greek mythology either love or hate using names from it. I belong to the latter group. It would just feel odd to me to give the name of a deity to my child - I wouldn't name my child Zeus, and even though Athena is a nice-sounding name and the goddess was known for great qualities, the same principle applies for me.

Brenna - Partly because my name is Jenna, I'm really not a fan of similar names (including Jennifer, Gemma, etc.). I actually knew a girl with this name in middle/high school. I just don't like it, sorry.

Genesis - Not a huge fan, it's just the huge biblical connotation (even though I'm not religious) that seems overwhelming and I just don't like the -sis ending. I much prefer Genevieve.

Everly/Everleigh - Somehow, for me, this name is both too old-ladyish (via Beverly) and too trendy for me at the same time, and I'm just not digging either vibe. Honestly though I could see it being a name that might grow on me if I knew a child with this name.

Novalie - If this were just Nova, it would probably be in 'like' or 'love'. I love the association with the stars, but I feel like the -lie ending is just unnecessary and overly trendy.

Anastasia - There's nothing wrong with Anastasia, it's just a little bit of a mouthful and not my cup of tea. I prefer Annaliese, or even just plain Anna.

#3 ashtona731

ashtona731

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

I see what you mean. Thanks for the feedback! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users