#1 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

My mom made up my name, and while I don't always think it's always the best idea (I tend to think using a very underused or unique name can have the same effect without being too weird) I think it can sometimes be fun to play around with names. I've had two names on my mind recently that I sort of made up, but I can't decide if they're usable or not.

Melarie - not sure how made up this one actually is, but it's kind of like a mixture between Mallory and Melanie. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Other possible spellings: Melory, Melorie, Mellary.

Maerie/Maery - I was playing around with the name Mary, which is actually one of my middle names. While I think it is in essence a timeless, classic name, using it today might come off as a bit dated. I don't even know what was going through my head as I thought about this way, but instead of blending the 'Mar' together to get the 'mare' pronunciation, I thought about what if you broke the syllables up a little differently and pronounced the 'Ma' together more to make the "May" sound. (kind of like HAY-lie vs HAIL-ee) Still thinking of how I would spell it - Maerie, Mayrie, Maery...idk. But I think I like the sound of it

So what do you guys think? Which spellings do you like best? And feel free to share any other make up names you've heard/made up yourself!

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

First thing I thought of when I saw Melarie was (Hey my friend Malerie! - Malligal) & What a bunch of Malarkey!

I think Maery/Maerie sounds a lot like Mary said by someone with a weird accent, or maybe the way a little kid would say it? IDK.

I don't think either is 'out there' but I think both are a bit too similar to rather common names (Mallory/Mary) that it would lead to a good bit of confusion.

I've come up with a few concoctions myself :) Marylark (a smoosh of my grandparents' names) being the most recent and current favorite.

#3 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

I don't know what's been going on in my head lately, but I seem to be playing around with names yet again. Yesterday I came up with Delenie. I've never really liked Delaney, but playing around with the pronunciation, I've found something that I like. It rhymes with Melanie - still unsure how I'd spell it (Delenny, Delannie, Deleny). Of course, as Katie said, these names would all be easily mispronounced because they are so similar to the names I'm deriving them from. But what do you think?

#4 Tora

Tora

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

My friend is named Melarie but it's pronounced like Mallorie but everyone where I live says it almost exactly the same way so she just spelled it the way we say it.

#5 You

You

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:10 AM

Back when I was around 14 I was trying to think of a name that could have many nicknames to it. I came up with Chasandan. I would of course never name my son that as it inst the most pleasant of names but I was able to get quite a few nicknames out of it. Chase, Andy, Danny, Chad, I can't remember what else, but I know there were more. :)

~Rhys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users