11 replies to this topic

#1 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:00 PM

Today I saw the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 movie, and a character was named Effie, which I thought was a really cute nickname, but I don't know what it could be for?
So my first question is, what is a full name for the nn Effie?

This got me thinking about nicknames and full versions of them. Are there any that you all really like? Do you only like one longer version and not the other? or is there a nickname you can't stand but you love the full name? vis a versa? Just give your opinion. :)

Do you have any nicknames you wish you had a longer name for? Are there any names you want a nickname for? Maybe we can help :)

Also, how do you feel about nicknames? I personally like nicknames when they kind of roll into a lifestyle, but I'm not big on planning them out before the baby is born. What are all your opinions?

#2 Jellybean

Jellybean

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:-Watching movies<br />-Reading (specially poetry)<br />-Writing<br />-Playing with my daughter<br />-Travelling<br />-Learning different languages

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:16 PM

I absolutely adore nicknames,but sometimes they can ruin your name. I have a friend whose name is Lola and she had a beautiful daughter named Felicity,and she became Lolita (little Lola became Lolita).

#3 ~Liz~

~Liz~

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:My top peeve is when people use offensive, sacrilegious names that are supposedly Native American but aren't, just to be cool. Please, ASK about the culture before you name your kid Dakota, Cheyenne, Nayeli, etc.

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

Huh...that's really interesting..I just looked that up. Effie Kaligaris. The reason I find that interesting is the character in the movie, the Kaligaris family, is supposed to be Greek, correct? (I didn't see the movie, but it's what I heard). Yet "Effie" is actually a very common nickname for Dutch women. Hmm, maybe she immigrated, lol!

Yes, Effie is actually a nickname (in real life I'm talking, not Hollywood glitz and glam) for many Dutch names. Some that it can be used for: Eefje, Eefke, Efteling, Ifje, Eeuw, etc.

Besides those wonderfully cultural names, it is also a nickname for the ancient Greek name Euphemia. Which of course, would make much more sense, since the Kaligaris family in the movie is Greek. Euphemia "Effie" Kaligaris. Yeah. Nevermind my Dutch naming comments lol.

So that answers your first question. Onto the other part of your thread, I've noticed a new trend in naming nowadays. Before, people loved full names, and were concerned about what nicknames they could make out of them. "Ooh, I love Elizabeth! Do you guys know any unique nicknames?" Nowadays, people like a certain nickname, and want a funky new full name to match it. "I love the nickname Ellie, what name could I make out of that? What about Hannelore?!" It's very curious, don't you think?

I really quite hate it when parents pick out their child's nickname. I think that as parents, it is their right to pick out a name, but their child has full choice on what nickname they give themselves. It only seems fair! I really hate it when I see parents saying things like "Oh I love this name, but I hate this nickname that goes along with it" Well maybe your kid will like that nickname, it's not your decision. So na na!

Moving on to my name, Elizabeth, I truly believe it has more nicknames than any other name in the world. Really. I can think of twenty off of the top of my head. I also hate the nickname I gave myself LOL. Liz. Ugh. It sounds so... masculine? I don't know. I think it sounds boyish, personally. Everybody tells me Liz sounds chic. If I had a choice I'd choose Elle as my nickname now, if I could change it, but I can't. I've lived on this planet for twenty years and everybody knows me as Liz! haha

#4 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:12 PM

I like Effie too! It's very pretty. I think Liz is right about Euphemia. Though I don't remember it in the book.

Nicknames I like where I don't like the full name...hmm...I like Liv, but I'm not to fond of Olivia. Also Jake. I love love love the name Jake, but I can not stand Jacob!

I think it makes sense when parents say they are going to name their child Matthew and he will most likely go by Matt. I don't think that is too much "planning" or anything. I think it makes sense.

To Liz: I love Elizabeth, but like you, I don't like Liz. Or Lizzie. I like Betsy. I could see it on a cute little girl with blond pigtails. :) When you meet new people, you should introduce yourself as Elle. It might help. Good luck!

#5 Sylvana

Sylvana

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:48 AM

I have a friend who's full name is Effie, so not a nn or anything.

I'm not so fan of nicknames. If I like a name, then its a full name ad will not call it by a nn

#6 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:21 AM

Is Archie a nickname for a full name??

I agree with Alyssa, I love the nickname Liv, but i'm pretty tired of Olivia.

#7 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:59 AM

Is Archie a nickname for a full name??

Archie is actually a nickname for the names Archibald or Archer. I actually really like the name Archer or Archie, not so much Archibald.

#8 Alexis!

Alexis!

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Bones
    Mysteries
    Baking
    Photography
    Science
    Writing
    Reading

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:54 AM

I loved the Sisterhood movie!! And the nn Effie. It's a cute first name, but I don't see it aging well.

I have a friend Stephanie and her mom calls her Effie sometimes. So I can see it as a nickname for Stephanie.

#9 MellyMade

MellyMade

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Names (of course), animals, books, music, quirky things from thrift stores, soft serve/frozen yogurt.

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:53 PM

I also agree people worry too much about a nickname for their children, which I think is especially silly in the cases where the child isn't even born yet! Nicknames are supposed to be personal and informal.

As for Effie, yes, there's Euphemia, and there's the spanish name Efeginia. Great full names to choose from! I think it's one of the instances where the nickname is much more desirable than the full name, but as someone said, nickname-names don't typically age well.

#10 Dominique

Dominique

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

I personally just go the safe route and call someone by their full name. I figure thats what their mama gave them so I might as well honor it and use it. Plus I hate one of my nicknames lol. My name is Dominique and I absolutly hate Dom. It makes me think of some old mobster man for some reason lol. However my brothers insist on calling me Dom along with anybody they introduce me to and down the line even if I correct them. The rest of my family sticks with the other half of my name and calles me Niquie (knee-kee) which I actually like, or u know those silly nicknames you get from your parents lol. Actually all of my sibilings hate our nicknames and want to be called by our full first name and we are, Laurenda, Gabrielle, Nathan, Dominique and Noah.

#11 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:55 AM

Effie/Effy is used as a nickname for Elizabeth in England, apparently. I watch a British show called Skins online and there's a character named Effy, and her full name is Elizabeth. I'm not exactly sure how they got Effy out of Elizabeth, but I reeeeally like it.

#12 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:11 PM

I really hate it when I see parents saying things like "Oh I love this name, but I hate this nickname that goes along with it" Well maybe your kid will like that nickname, it's not your decision. So na na!

I'm not sure I understand what Liz means that its the child's choice on a nn. My mom named me Katherine because she loved the name Katie. And I have always been Katie, ever since I was a baby. I have never been called Katherine in my entire life. If I had a choice I'd like to maybe go by Kate rather than Katie just because I think that it is more grown up but I'm twenty-one years old and Katie is my name, I dont think that I could ever get used to going by Kate and it doesnt go as well with my last name as Katie does.
My mom named my younger sister Sara but decided several months after she was born that it didn't fit her and decided to used the more uncommon nn Sally.
My youngest sister is Madeline and has also always gone by the nn Maddie...and if you tried to call her Madeline she would throw a fit.

I just find it strange that you say that it is up to the child to choose a nn because I've never heard of anyone choosing their own nn. They usually are the name they have always gone by or have been given to them by someone else. And to get back to the topic, I think it is perfectally rational in this sense for a parent to choose a name because they like the nn and are good enough to consider giving the child a longer name so that they might have other options to go by once they are older.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users