Photo

What names do you like that you didn't think you would?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Laney

Laney

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Jem cartoon, ER, CSI: Miami, Full House, Sailor Moon (original anime and live-action), Flashpoint, Felicity, ID channel, Food Network baking competitions, MasterChef/MasterChef Junior/Junior MasterChef Australia, movies (mostly 80's and 90's), writing/reading fan-fiction, baking, vegan cooking, photography, traveling, cats, books and tv shows/movies about female murderers, swimming, bowling, drawing, surfing the internet, forensics, Netflix, 80's and 90's music, picture editing, shopping, coffee (decaf mostly, but I love mocha Frappuccinos too)

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

What names do you like that you didn't think you would because it doesn't fit your style, the sound of the name, or whatever reason? 

Girls:
Kimber - I normally dislike the -er ending for girls, but the Jem cartoon kinda made me warm up to this one. I also love the idea of using Kimberly with the nickname Kimber. 
Geneva - I dislike obvious place names most of the time, but I like the sound of this one and the possible nickname Evie. 
Carys - It rhymes with Paris (a name I can't stand because of Paris Hilton and because it's a very well known place name), but it is unusual and I like the meaning of it, "love."
Zaida (Zay-da) - Sounds a lot like a spin on the dreaded -aiden names, but without being so popular.
Magnolia - I don't care for most girls' names with the -o sound in the middle or end of them (other than Fiona and a few others), but I love flower names and the nickname Maggie. Still trying to find other nicknames that aren't Nola/Lola or Noa.
Aislinn (ASH-lin) - Don't like 99% of -lyn names, but this one reflects my Irish heritage and isn't trendy, unlike the Americanized Ashlyn spelling.
Aviana - Because it felt like just another version of Ava, I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. I like that Aviana isn't wildly popular and it has the -a ending I like and it's a nice alternative to Ava, Ariana, and other trendy A names.

Boys:
Lachlan - Initially dismissed it as too modern, but I like how it reflects my heritage and that it actually has some history behind it. 10th US President John Tyler gave it to one of his sons.
Alton - I thought it sounded too old-fashioned (I like old-fashioned names, but there are some I can't see for a little boy born in this decade. Harold comes to mind here), but then I realized Alton really doesn't feel so out of place because a lot of other kids have names with similar sounds. Plus I liked Alton Brown from Good Eats on Food Network. He was great then, very entertaining and informative at the same time. lol

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Interests:astrology, divination, psychedelics, baking, jewelry making, meditation, crystal healing, graphic design, photography (film+digital), organization, notion.so, coding

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:02 PM

jameson: i don't like the name james, and i typically don't go for -son ending names, but i love this one.

moses: as a non-christian, bible-heavy names don't usually tickle my fancy but i still think moses is handsome.

auggie: i don't like august, agustus, etc. but i absolutely adore the nickname.

beau: it seems really redneck but i still like it.

marley: i can't help but relate it to that sad movie/book [marley and me] but i love bob marley too much to not have it on my list.

#3 Riley_Jane

Riley_Jane

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Singing, Acting, Dancing, Writing, Names, Event Planning, Hiking, Fitness, Cooking, Baking, and Exploring new things!

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:34 PM

Girl:

Geneva- I don't normally like place names, but I love this! Especially with the nickname Neva!

Henley- This name is a little more trendy than what I usually like, but for some reason, it's nice.

Schuyler- I usually go for the simpler spellings of names because that is usually what would be easier for someone's day to day interactions. But I find the original surname spelling of this name more appealing than Skyler or Skylar. I also don't usually go for unisex names.

Ophelia- Ophelia is a little more frilly than I would normally care for. 

There aren't really any boys names that I am surprised that I like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users