8 replies to this topic

#1 LibraryDenizen

LibraryDenizen

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hi people!
I'm kinda new here so if I do something stupid, don't hold it against me...
I'm one of 9 kids and all but 2 of us are named in honor of family members. If you have or are one of a big family, how did you/your parents pick all those names?
  • Allison14 likes this

#2 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'm not one of, but my boyfriend is. Him and all of his siblings are named after family member. His sisters having the exact names of their great-grandmothers. The boys are a mash up of family names.

#3 coyote19

coyote19

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Traveling, Japan, Languages, and Names : )

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

I'm one 4 in my adoptive family, my oldest brothers name honored my dad and grandpa, my other brothers middle names honored my uncles.

Out of my biological family I'm one of 8 and only my oldest brother honors a family member. I have no clue how my bio mom picked her names, my adoptive mom went with names she simply liked that flowed with my uncles names.

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'm only one of four, which isnt big in comparison to 8/9 children, but big to the regular 2/3 I suppose.

My mum wasnt huge on family names. She gave my older brother a family name, but as a middle name. My little brother has a family middle name as well. My brothers also have fairly traditional first names. Me and my sister on the other hand have our own sort of names. Not unfamiliar, but yeah. I love how my older brothers middle name, Charles, is so within the family. There are multiple Charles's and Charlotte's, and I intend on adding to it.

I would never have a problem finding family names if I wanted to have a bajillion kids with family names. My grandfather has a bunch of siblings, my grandma has a few. And if you keep going back farther and farther you'll find more and more names. So i cant imagine ever having a problem incorperating people :) im guessing most people do things that way. Our families all go back so far that most people could go back and find things.

<3

#5 xxThePumpkinQueenxx

xxThePumpkinQueenxx

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:singing, writing, reading, psychology, science, math, forensics, children, going to church, being with my family and SEC football. War Eagle!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

I'm the oldest of five. My mother didnt name me after anyone. But my two younger sisters are named after my mother (their middle names are her name between the two) and my baby sister's first name is in honor of my great grandmother. My brother's name is honoring both sides of my family. He has my dad/grandfather's middle name and my mothers maiden name. My baby brother just got two names my mother liked.

#6 LibraryDenizen

LibraryDenizen

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

My mom's one of 6 and every single one with kids has a Miriam and a Leah.
Funny, my 8 year old sister just said the other day "what if we run out of names?"
me and my older sister looked at each other and said "ummm...you know you're allowed to pick a non-family name, right?"
She was clueless. :)

#7 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

Well im only out of two, and i actually asked my mum about this yesterday. She said i was 'accidentaly' named after someone. She didnt want my brother or i to be named after anyone and said she wanted us to have 'individual names not havig to live up to any expectations' she said she wanted us to have 'beautiful names for ourselves, not beautiful names from other people' She said i was named Brittany Grace and after i was named everyone asked her if i was named after her great aunty (Katherine Grace) (mum didn't even know Kathy's middle name) and she said she immideatley had to tell everyone i wasn't named after Aunty Kathy, she just purley loved the name. I think i shall do the same for my kids..give them beautiful names for themselves to grow into, altho maybe il change my mind, who knows :P

#8 Mika Casey

Mika Casey

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:01 AM

I'm one of 8! :D

None of us were given family names, my mom came up with them (well, the last 5, my 3 older sisters have different moms). She chose names because she liked them: Raven Mika, Talia Rae, Tivoli Mia, Revel Cougar, Talon Maverick.

And, of course, being part of a large family, I want to have a big family of my own (at least 4 kids). But, unlike my mom, I'm going to incorporate a family (or meaningful) name for each.

I feel sorry for my future husband. ;)

#9 Tessa-J

Tessa-J

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:03 AM

I am one of 6 and my brothers and sisters have got a names with A or K, because my mother's name is Amely and my dad's name is Kevin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users