#1 Ninan

Ninan

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

Just wondering what y'all thought -

I would like these two names but I keep on thinking about the unfortunate first sound in them. Is the curse word association too strong? Would it be making a kid an easy bullying target from birth?

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

I don't think so.

Astrid does have the first syllable A$$ but I still think it is a lovely name. Although I can't say I've ever met an Astrid to ask about potential teasing...

I don't see an issue with Asa at all. Since it is pronounced (AY suh) it doesn't really have the A$$ sound in it.

#3 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

I went to school with and Astrid but I didn't know her all that well. As far as I was aware there was no teasing. I would never have even thought of it like that until you mentioned it. I really like it.

Same for Asa. I love Asa :wub:

#4 Ninan

Ninan

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Well, that's good... though y'all are probably nicer than the rest of the world, lol. Kids will make fun of anything... or maybe I was just around mean kids growing up. Hmmm.

I think Astrid is reeeeeally cute but I just keep thinking about that first sound. Arghhhhh.

That is the one and only name I would love to see gain popularity, lol. Maybe it'll ride the wave of cute Germanic names that seem to be on the rise :D

#5 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

Astrid could get teased, but it all depends on the kid. Children wont tease everybody with teasable names, but children will find anything to tease about a person if they wanted (which could include a name). I love it, but someone mentioned it sounding like a$$-tread and that is what kept me from using it :( Aspen has the same issue but I met one and she never had an issue. It just all depends on the kid.. <3

Asa I definitely don't see any teasing potential. It doesn't have that same a$$ part to it. Like Katie said, its AY-sa, so that kinda rids of all teasing. Ace is a pretty cool name, so its like that with an A ending. Very similar in sounds to Jason, Aiden, etc. I don't see any teasing to it <3 I met an Asa the other day actually, he was about five years old. Too cute! <3

#6 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Iknow an Astrid and and Asteree!!
I have never herd Astrid say she was teased, but i didn't know her in high school and people my age wouldn't be saying anying mean like that. We generally call her either Astrid or Az (emphisis on the Z!). Which is similar to what we nickname my other friend Aslin (Az or Azzie) and noone has ever mentioned how close it is to A$$.

I agree with everyone on Asa, its fine and i love love love the name!

#7 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Though it isn't on my list, I definitely like Asa. It's handsome and light, and I really don't see much teasing potential. Astrid.. a little more teasing potential here, as pointed out above. Here's a link to a survey about Astrid and teasing. And here's one for Asa. Looks like both do get teasing, and it looks like people have trouble pronouncing /spelling Asa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users