• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'm really working on my girls names.. So far my list consists of Gemma Sophie and Elizabeth "Elsie" as set names. If you could answer ANY of these questions, I'd love you forever!

I know its rather long.. so I separated it into parts to hopefully make it easier for you all. Feel free to pick one part to answer, or all three if your that bored ;) I appreciate any input I get though. Girls names are just such a challenge for me..

Part 1: New Inspiration

Callista
Mavis
India
Aurora
Camille
Oriana
Clove

Sorrel
Poppy (MN only)

I've a few questions on these... You think India is too trendy? Would it be weird to use Callista when I've a cousin Callie, granted I've not seen her in a while? Do Aurora and Archer go alright together cause I'm loving Aurora? Can I use Camille and never call her Cammie, or am I doomed if I use it? I like Cam, but I just don't care for Cammie. And do you prefer Sorrel on a boy or girl?

Part 2: Old Name Updates

These have all been on my list at some point, but I find myself loving them again.. even if I'm not quite sure what to do with them.

Maia (MN only)
Astrid
Charlie
/ Charlise
Delilah

I worry Charlie and Archer are too close, but I am head over heels for Charlie. I'm keeping it on the list, when it comes time I'm having a girl I can worry about it I guess. I adore Astrid though not sure if Mike would ever get on board with it. I love Maia, but I think only as a middle name as Maya is very popular in NH. And I like Delilah, though I think as a mn only as well but unsure.

Part 3: Mabel

I adore Mabel and can't imagine not using it.. I just have such a hard time deciding middle names! I've come up with these so far...

Mabel Zoe
Mabel Caroline
Mabel Charlie / Mabel Charlise
Mabel Aurora
Mabel Poppy

My only issue with Mabel is Mike is 50/50 on it. I would adore it if someone could come up with a name that could sound as equally sassy and spunky yet possibily soft and sweet at the same time. I'm on the hunt for a name like Mabel... but I don't even know where to start :(
  • Kookie likes this

#2 Madi Wolf Princess <3

Madi Wolf Princess <3

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Interests:Marilyn Manson, Five Finger Death Punch, being a creepy cute princess, being a wolf puppy, Harry Potter, Ravenclaw, Supernatural, Dean Winchester, the fall season, Halloween, sparkly things, the moon, the stars... The whole galaxy, the element air, learning of different religions/cultures, especially the more unconventional ones.

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

I'll answer Part 3... I feel like Mabel is a southern name and it's natural for me to pair it with Caroline, since Caroline is also a southern-sounding name. So, Mabel Caroline gets my vote.
I found a thread on Nameberry that might help with middles for Mabel: http://nameberry.com...like-Mabel-lt-3
  • Remy Hadley likes this

#3 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

Mabel can kinda have a country feel to it :) And thanks! There are a lot of great suggestions in there <3

#4 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

Do you think India is too trendy?
No, I don't think it is too trendy. I think it is a little trendy, but not too much so. It is still outside the top 300 at #383. The name Nehemiah is #342, just to give you an idea of the popularity level. I love it! I think it may be my top girl name at the moment.

Would it be weird to use Callista when I've a cousin Callie, granted I've not seen her in a while?
I think it would be fine.

Do Aurora and Archer go alright together cause I'm loving Aurora?
They do! It's cute :)

Can I use Camille and never call her Cammie, or am I doomed if I use it? I like Cam, but I just don't care for Cammie.
I'm sure you could get away without calling her Cammie. Her friends/other people may, and she may even choose to go by that when she's older, but you don't have to :) It would probably help stay away from that if you set a different nickname for her, like Cam or Millie/Milly.

And do you prefer Sorrel on a boy or girl?
I'm neutral, I think it could work for either.

I worry Charlie and Archer are too close, but I am head over heels for Charlie. I'm keeping it on the list, when it comes time I'm having a girl I can worry about it I guess.
They are pretty close, but I still think it could work. They have different beginnings and endings, and even though the letters and sounds are similar, I think it is nice.

I adore Astrid though not sure if Mike would ever get on board with it.
Astrid is cute, but I think I would personally prefer it in the middle spot. Archer and Astrid is a darling sibset, though <3

I love Maia, but I think only as a middle name as Maya is very popular in NH.
I like Maia as a middle name a lot! I love when kids have a gem of a middle name, instead of something like Marie or Ann (not trashing those names or anything, but you know what I mean).

And I like Delilah, though I think as a mn only as well but unsure.
Not personally a fan because of biblical connotations.

Side note: I love love love Charlie Mabel / Charlotte Mabel "Charlie"!!

Back to your question:
Out of those choices, I like Mabel Aurora the best flow wise.

#5 neverland

neverland

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

Okay here goes:

1. India is not too trendy but it's nms.
2. Callista is fine despite the cousin.
3. Aurora is too close to Archer.
4. Camille is only 2 syllables so it doesn't really need a nn but use Millie if you like. You're not stuck with Cammie.
5. Sorrel could go either way. I find it gender neutral but would give it a gender defining middle name.
6. Like Astrid
7. Don't like Delilah (sorry) because she's a pretty wicked woman in the Bible. Love the sound of it though. Maybe just Lilah?
8. Mabel is kinda tough for me because I don't care for it too much... how about Mabel Camille?

Hope that helps :)

#6 MissJay

MissJay

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

Part 1: New Inspiration

I love: Aurora, India, and Callista

I like: Camille, Clove, and Poppy (I see Clove and Poppy more as middle names)

I dislike:
Mavis: Sounds very masculine to me. It definitely has potential as a good middle name though.
Oriana: When I look at it something just seems off. I think Ariana looks a lot better.

Sorrel: Too masculine for my liking.

1. You think India is too trendy? Not at all! I love the name India. I met someone named India Sage and that's when I feel in love with it. :wub: I especially adorable the nickname Indy! If you're worried about the trendiness you can always use it in the middle spot.

2. Would it be weird to use Callista when I've a cousin Callie, granted I've not seen her in a while? If you don't see her often then I don't see a problem with it. She may even feel honored if you were to use it.

3. Do Aurora and Archer go alright together cause I'm loving Aurora? I have loved Aurora forever and think that it sounds good with Archer. I really love Rory and Archer/Archie together!! :)

4. Can I use Camille and never call her Cammie, or am I doomed if I use it? I think that Cami is just one of those natural nicknames for a name like Camille. So even though you wouldn't use it, I think other people may tend to. If that bothers you then I would avoid it. Other nicknames you could call her are Millie, Mila, or Lily if you like those better.

5. Do you prefer Sorrel on a boy or girl? Sorrel is definitely all boy for me, although I have seen it used for a girl.

Part 2: Old Name Updates

Maia: Such a beautiful name. I could see if working well as a middle name. I'll have to think of some combos and get back to you!
Astrid: Not really my style. It seems very harsh to me, but it may work well as a middle name. Maybe Delilah Astrid?
Charlie
/ Charlise: Charlie and Archer are a little close, especially if you use the nickname Archie. I think Charlotte and Archer would be great together, but Charlotte has become such a popular name! What about Aurora Charlise?
Delilah: Beautiful name. I always get the song Hey There Delilah stuck in my head whenever someone mentions the name!

Part 3: Mabel

My favorites are:
Mabel Caroline
Mabel Charlise
Mabel Aurora

I agree that Mabel Caroline has a very southern feel that is absolutely precious! It is probably my top pick from your list. I can't get over how perfect and old-fashioned Archer and Mabel sound together! :wub:

#7 Madi Wolf Princess <3

Madi Wolf Princess <3

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Interests:Marilyn Manson, Five Finger Death Punch, being a creepy cute princess, being a wolf puppy, Harry Potter, Ravenclaw, Supernatural, Dean Winchester, the fall season, Halloween, sparkly things, the moon, the stars... The whole galaxy, the element air, learning of different religions/cultures, especially the more unconventional ones.

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

Mabel can kinda have a country feel to it :) And thanks! There are a lot of great suggestions in there <3

Was that you, lol? It was pretty much exactly what you said here. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users