• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrsSummerSmith

MrsSummerSmith

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

Just curious: What is more important to you - Sound of your childs name or the meaning?

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:06 AM

Just curious: What is more important to you - Sound of your childs name or the meaning?

I'm not really sure the traditional meaning of the name matters so much to me, but the sentimental meaning a name has is important as well as how it sounds.
Names that are similar to family members or friends hold more sentimental meaning and are more important to me rather than just the definition of the word.

My name means pure and graceful....but it doesnt really matter to me besides being a nice thought on my parents part. My first name is after my aunt and my middle name has history in both sides of my family. It comes from my grandmother and my great aunt, which means a lot more to me than pure and graceful.

But sound is also important because if I dont like how the name sounds then Im not going to use it no matter what it means.

#3 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

The meaning is more important to me. I think a name with a meanin gis so special. At the same time, since i'm a real stickler i will MAKE it sound goo dfor my child, haha!

#4 Sofie

Sofie

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:51 AM

The sound matters a lot more to me, and the look of the name. For example, my favorite name is Cecily, which means blind. It doesn't bother me at all, since I love the name so much. However, if the name meant something malicious, it might bother me a little.

#5 Jessie

Jessie

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

people know you by your name. The way it looks and sounds is what people notice. The meaning only matters to the parents!

#6 Lyn

Lyn

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:40 AM

Meaning is important to me, but I agree with Jessie 100%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users