• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 IGlova

IGlova

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

So I have always loved very unique names, and as much as I love unique names.... some of my favorites are top of the most popular list. This drives me crazy because I want to pick a name that I LOVE, but not one that everyone has. So do I pick one to be unique that I don't LOVE quite as much, or do I say screw it and pick the name I LOVE that is on the most popular list???

What do you think about choosing a name on the popular list?? My husband said who cares that it's on the popular list, we don't know anyone with that name.... Which I thought was a good point, but what if they start school and everyone in the class has the same name.....will I regret it later??

Any thoughts?

#2 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

I agree with your husband. Go with a name you love. Many people try to pick names either because it's not as popular, or try to match sib sets or try to stick with one theme and then they end up regretting it.

Just choose a name you love and try not to worry about how popular it is. It doesn't matter.

#3 MellyMade

MellyMade

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Names (of course), animals, books, music, quirky things from thrift stores, soft serve/frozen yogurt.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

What do you think about choosing a name on the popular list?? My husband said who cares that it's on the popular list, we don't know anyone with that name.... Which I thought was a good point, but what if they start school and everyone in the class has the same name.....will I regret it later??

Any thoughts?

My boyfriend brought up that same point. I pointed out that we don't know many babies! Those are the ones being named Olivia, Aiden, etc. All of the people we know are named Justin, Tiffany, and other names that were popular in the 80s.

You might not know anyone with that name now, but how many babies do you know? How many of them have those popular names? Probably a lot more than you think.

That said, if you truly love the name(s), and it won't make you cringe to meet possibly dozens of other children with similar names, go for it! If not, use them for a middle name, or choose a name that is similar in sound/style that might not have as much popularity.

#4 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

If you love it then who cares? But I agree, I know a lot of Brittanys, Caitlins, Laurens, Williams, etc. You have to think how many babies are named this. I have 2 Masons, 3 Paytons, 3 Chases and a Hunter in my family & I know another Mason & another Hunter. That's 4 names between 9 kids. But if you guys both love it than use it. It's always better than regretting using a name you didn't love as much.

#5 VictoriaRose

VictoriaRose

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

I agree, if you love a name go for it! I grew up in an elementary school class with 5 Brandons in it and we all survived. Three of them were even Brandon C! I think that it's more important for you to love the name first and then worry about what other people will think later. :wub:

#6 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

I have the same issue! Until I reached college, there was always another Ashley in my class. Without fail. And it caused me to resent the popularity of my name. So, I try to avoid popular names. (My daughter is Cadence. I am actually surprised when I hear someone mention they know a Cadence.) HOWEVER, my favorite name is number 2 in popularity. Granted, I haven't met another Sophia but the same went for my mom when she chose my name. And despite the fact I LOVE the name and nothing seems to compare, I can't seem to get over that popularity. (Also, my daughter's name is unique and I want to continue that pattern.) It's tough!

#7 Untitled

Untitled

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

I would go with the one you love.

If there were two names you liked equally, and one was more popular than the other, then I'd go for the less popular. But I always think your enjoyment of the name is more important than it's popularity.

Also, there can be positives to having a very popular name. For example, everyone will always know how to spell and pronounce the name.

#8 -Regan<3

-Regan<3

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

Go with what you love!

However, for my self I couldn't do it. I wanted something out of the top 50 just because I don't like super popular names but I don't like way out there names. My daughter ended up Ariana Danielle, which is 83 & 195 on the list. She was almost a "Riley" but I just couldn't do it :/

#9 Amanda Lynn

Amanda Lynn

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,146 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, playing name games.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

I'd say go for the name you love. I grew up with a ton of Amanda's (a few of them actually shared my middle name as well) and so while it was annoying at times, it was kind of nice because again, everyone knew how to spell it. My son is named William, one of the most popular names on the list today and there are several Williams in both my husband's and mine family trees. However, we both love the name and it fits him perfectly. He was almost a Kenneth at one point! (So glad we didn't do it). My soon to be daughter is going to be named Katherine (again, I expect it to be popular) but I've always loved the name and my husband agreed.

In the end, I think some advice my mom told me at my baby shower I had with Will, is prudent here. You and your husband are the ones who have to deal with the name at first on a 24/7 level. You two are the only ones whose opinions matter because you're the ones constantly referring to the child as "(Fill in the blank)" all the time. No matter what, you'll have someone who'll make a comment about the name and you'll have to deal with that. Also, when your child is old enough they will ask, why you named them that. I remember asking my mom why a lot and I loved hearing "Because your Dad and I chose it together and loved it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users