2 replies to this topic

#1 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:12 PM

I've been thinking about these two names today.

The combination is completely random, because they are two quite different names..
.. but what do you think of Christiane and Mary-Claire?

Christiane:
Can someone kind please explain to me the difference between these pronunciations? kris-tee-AH-nə (German), krees-TYAN (French). I think I'm going to lose my mind over pronunciations.

Anyways.

-Do you think it's too heavy and long for a little girl? And would it sound ridiculous or weird on an adult woman?

-Since it is a pretty long name, which nicknames can you think of besides the predictable Christy, which I'm not sure I like?

-Christiane Iris randomly popped into my mind. I'm not even sure I like it, it's just the product of a tired, sleep-deprived mind.
Do you think Christiane would work best as a first or middle name? And do you have any suggestions, one way or the other?

Mary-Claire:

Hyphen or not?
Let's talk about hyphen, please, because it's not something I'm very well acquainted with :P
What does it change? Is there really a difference between, say, Mary-Ann and Mary Ann? I'd like to know.
Aesthetically, I think I like the name more without the hyphen.
But, I like the name as a whole, so if they get "split" without the hyphen, then I'd go for it.

General ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

#2 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

Christiane: Not really my kind of name, but very close. I used to know a Christiana, and I did like her name. I think I prefer the 'a' to the 'e'. I would rate it as a 7, which is a "really like."
Can someone kind please explain to me the difference between these pronunciations? - Wish I could, but I'm not good at pronunciations and wouldn't want to steer you wrong.

-Do you think it's too heavy and long for a little girl? And would it sound ridiculous or weird on an adult woman? - No to the first question, I love long names. think it will age well, and I don't think it would sound ridiculous on anybody. Well, maybe I would call her Chrisy as a baby. Or Risa, I like both nn's.

-Since it is a pretty long name, which nicknames can you think of besides the predictable Christy, which I'm not sure I like? Hmmm... I'm just going to though some stuff out there: Chrissy, Chrisa, Risa, Rissy, Christa, Tia, Anne, Anna. I'm not really a fan of Christy either, maybe just a bit too close to "crusty?"

-Christiane Iris randomly popped into my mind. I'm not even sure I like it, it's just the product of a tired, sleep-deprived mind.
Do you think Christiane would work best as a first or middle name? And do you have any suggestions, one way or the other? - I can't say I like Christiane Iris, the -ris sounds in both of them trip me up a little. Maybe Christiane Isis, Christiane Willow, Christiane Isolde, Christiane Adele, Christiane Ruby, or Christiane Blythe?

Mary-Claire: Never been fond of Mary, although I love Claire. Together they make a nice name... just not one for my list. I would rate as a 5, which is NMS/average. 5 is not bad at all from me, I'm not bashing it.

Hyphen or not? - A solid no from me.
Let's talk about hyphen, please, because it's not something I'm very well acquainted with :P - Me neither. I don't know anybody with a hyphen.
What does it change? Is there really a difference between, say, Mary-Ann and Mary Ann? I'd like to know. - I don't think that much, if anything, would change in the pronunciation... Maybe just a slight bit more emphasis on the Ann in Mary Ann than in Mary-Ann.
Aesthetically, I think I like the name more without the hyphen. - Agreed.
But, I like the name as a whole, so if they get "split" without the hyphen, then I'd go for it. - Like I said, the hyphen is going to make more difference aesthetically (I'll use your vocab word :D) than functionally.

#3 -SassyCassie-

-SassyCassie-

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:30 PM

out of the two i really like Mary-Claire the most it has a certain ring to it XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users