• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wordsmith

wordsmith

Junior Baby Namer

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

I've always had a soft spot for unisex names for girls - especially names predominantly used as a boy's name (ie. Elliot, Sawyer).  Now, I'm sort of interested in the opposite - unisex names predominantly used for girls, only using them for a boy. 

The biggest ones that come to mind to me are:

Loren/Lauren

Leslie

Ashley

Ariel

I'm curious to see how many more we can come up with :)

• Wildflowerchild likes this

#2 indi1993

indi1993

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:07 AM

Addison, Allison**, Avery, Bailey, Brinley, Brooke, Carmen**, Cassidy, Courtney*, Dacey, Elisha, Fran, Galen, Haley, Ivory, Jean, Jocelyn, Jody, Kelly**, Kimberly**, Lindsey**, Mackenzie, Madison, Naomi, Nara, Ohara, Ori, Page, Paris, Piper, Quinn, Rosario**, Shae, Shannon, Taylor, Teagan, Tracy, Ulli, Vivian**, Wren, Yael, Yoshi**, Yuki, Zaire

*  know a guy with the name

** know a girl with the name

#3 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:10 AM

I'm not a fan of most unisex names, just because I want teachers/etc to know by looking at my child's name what their gender is so that there is no embarrassment. But I do like a few (Harper, for example, I love on both genders).

Here's a handful of predominantly female unisex names (some more often female than others):

Alexis

Payton

Dakota

Kennedy

Avery (although this used to be all boys!)

Morgan (though I love it on a boy)

Cassidy

Taylor

Here's an article on Nameberry about names that used to be strictly male but became more common for girls, if you're interested: http://nameberry.com...om-blue-to-pink

#4 wordsmith

wordsmith

Junior Baby Namer

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:32 AM

I love Jody (my boss's name, actually, idk why I didn't think of that one!) and Kelly, also Payton and Taylor.  

I actually have a hard time with -son names for girls (Madison, Addison) because they literally mean "son of-" and that's the only thing I can think about when I hear those names for a girl.  However weird that might sound!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users