9 replies to this topic

#1 allofthestars28

allofthestars28

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:57 PM

Okay so the title probably doesn't make sense but what I'm saying is, is there a name that you love, but others say that the name is not good anymore because of some reason or association. 

An example would be that I love the name Bentley, I think it's cute and classic with an older feel without feeling dated but I've heard many people say that it was ruined because the first episode of Teen Mom has a girl name her son Bentley or that people are going to think of the car. I still love it and I was wondering if any of you have been told that a name has been ruined by something

#2 pinkmonkey23

pinkmonkey23

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Names ⌇ My children ⌇ Supernatural ⌇ I-Zombie ⌇ Lucifer ⌇ Arrowverse ⌇ Jane the virgin ⌇ The Originals ⌇ The Vampire Diaries [Before it ended]

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:46 AM

Used it anyway! 

What about using bentley as a middle name?

#3 allofthestars28

allofthestars28

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:03 PM

I Agree about using it even if others don't like it. It's probably what I would do if I had kids. But I was wondering if others had names they liked but have heard people say they should't.

#4 .:alexandra:.

.:alexandra:.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:linguistics, psychology, books, conspiracy theories (within reason), equality, space/astrology, names

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:28 PM

I love names ending in double "ee" but I am constantly told that it's too trendy and looks like a name from Teen Mom, but I just really like the look of it

#5 pinkmonkey23

pinkmonkey23

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Names ⌇ My children ⌇ Supernatural ⌇ I-Zombie ⌇ Lucifer ⌇ Arrowverse ⌇ Jane the virgin ⌇ The Originals ⌇ The Vampire Diaries [Before it ended]

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

My own nan said to me she dislikes my kids names.. Bailey & Liberty.. Liberty has Arizona as a middle name too.. i've had very mixed views on that name.. 

I think i wanted Ruby for a girl.. also had Bella and Blossom on my list.. My DF's sister said cant name your kid that as they are dog names.. going by the dogs his mother had which were called ruby and bella.. we hadn't even realised. and then she shat on blossom as she said it was a character in eastenders once upon a time and the person was a right ######! so yeah i was like awwww thanks for my list now being empty..

#6 brimariiee

brimariiee

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts
  • Interests:My son, diamond painting, reading, exploring with my family

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:18 PM

A lot of my favorite names get ruined by them being used more often on the other gender....
Peyton, Cameron, Lennon, Rylan to name a few. (Names I prefer on boys)
Or Rory for a girl.
And after Ashton and Mila, I won't be surprised to see Wyatt spike in popularity on girls :(

A few names ruined by family members using them...obviously won't use them myself now.

Other than that, names I like are either too 'weird' or too 'old-sounding'

• Riley_Jane likes this

#7 HxppySxng

HxppySxng

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts
  • Interests:Planners, piercings, Witchcraft, Netflix, & baking.

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

I used to [and still do] love the name Lucifer on a girl. My ex-boyfriend and I had pretty much decided on using it as a fn if we were successful in having a child together but we broke up before that happened. Obviously other people would totally be shocked by the name, I doubt many others would like the name but we didn't really care. Now my problem with using it is because of Tyler (my ex) not because of the stigma associated with the name.

#8 Riley_Jane

Riley_Jane

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Singing, Acting, Dancing, Writing, Names, Event Planning, Hiking, Fitness, Cooking, Baking, and Exploring new things!

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:12 PM

I have a story similar to Brimariiee. I classify a name's gender by its history and origin, not by usage. Therefore some of my favorite names for boys are Harper, Bellamy, Peyton, Alexei, Kelly, Mackenzie, and Bailey. The biggest comment I get is that they are too girly for a boy or they're too soft/not strong enough for a boy.

I also love names of Irish and Welsh origins...with their original spellings. Since I live in the U.S. though, almost no one would be able to spell or pronounce a lot of them, such as, Caoilinn (kee-lyn), Niamh (neev), Aoife (ee-fah), Maolisa (mail-issa), Radha (row-a), Manon (mah-noh'n, this one is hard to write out).

Some names I love, Agatha, Ruth, and Helen for example, have been dubbed "too outdated" and "old lady".

While others have simply been ruined because the people bearing them do not make good impressions on me.

#9 Annie S.

Annie S.

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:34 PM

I simply ADORE the name Salem for a little girl. To me it sounds so pretty and it means peace, which I love. But everyone says that it is either too masculine sounding or that it is too big of a reminder of the Salem Witch Trials. I honestly think that people are thinking too hard. Honestly, every single name out there could be connected to something bad or disagreeable. And what 5-year-old on the play ground is going to come up to my daughter and make fun of her because her name is a witches name? They're not going to know those kind of references at such a young age. I didn't even think about any bad connections to Salem until I looked the name up online and people were talking crap about it. Salem is staying firmly on my list, my peaceful little dove. ❤😊
  • Barbie likes this

#10 trainheart

trainheart

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:58 PM

I also love names of Irish and Welsh origins...with their original spellings. Since I live in the U.S. though, almost no one would be able to spell or pronounce a lot of them, such as, Caoilinn (kee-lyn), Niamh (neev), Aoife (ee-fah), Maolisa (mail-issa), Radha (row-a), Manon (mah-noh'n, this one is hard to write out).

I also love Irish and Welsh names, like Aideen and Ailia for girls. And for boys Malachy and Gothfraidh (which means peaceful)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users