9 replies to this topic

#1 Camellia

Camellia

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

On my long list, there are a few names that are very similar (most are variants) of other names on the list. I'm always going back and forth on which ones I like best, so I was hoping for some opinions.

Here they are:

Anne or Anya
I like that Anne is classic and simple. It's a name that everyone could pronounce but isn't used too often anymore. But Anya is more modern and dynamic, and also not mega-popular, though it has been climbing the list recently.

Lila or Lilian
I like the spunkiness of Lila, but I also like that Lilian is classic and sweet. However, both are very popular, as most Lily-related names are these days. Boo. But maybe by the time I actually have a kid, they won't be so popular anymore.

Margaret (nn Mae) or Margot
Margaret is one of those names with so many nickname options that I would probably use it no matter how popular it was. But I do like the spunkiness of Margot, and the fact that it's not even in the top 1000 names is a big plus.

Rose (nn Rosie) or Rosa
Rosie is just so irresistibly cute, and I would love to meet a kid with the name. But Rosa is elegant and I feel like it would age better. Both are on the social security list, but not so high up that it would affect my decision.

Thanks, ladies!

#2 Madi Wolf Princess <3

Madi Wolf Princess <3

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Interests:Marilyn Manson, Five Finger Death Punch, being a creepy cute princess, being a wolf puppy, Harry Potter, Ravenclaw, Supernatural, Dean Winchester, the fall season, Halloween, sparkly things, the moon, the stars... The whole galaxy, the element air, learning of different religions/cultures, especially the more unconventional ones.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Anya- more spunky and less plain and boring.

Lila- soft and sweet sounding.

Margaret (nn Mae)- the silent -t on Margot is weird.

Rose (nn Rosie)- I just like it better. Sometimes simple is better, as it is in this case.

:-)

#3 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

Anne
Lila
Margot
Rose

#4 PaigeA

PaigeA

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Anya - It's less common, less heard, more exciting.
Lila - Short, sweet and soft.
Margaret (nn Mae) - I like the nickname Mae.
Rosa - This was a hard choice! I love the nickname Rosie, it's so cute. But I think Rosa is a bit prettier and less simple.

:)

#5 EmilyA

EmilyA

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

Anya- stunning alternative to Anne! Love it! Never heard it used before.

Lila- Very spunky but soft, great choice!

Margaret- Love the nickname Maggie to go with it! (I would have chosen Margot if it was spelled, Margaux)

Rose- A classic is always the way to go! Rosie is irresistibly cute, I agree!

#6 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

Choosing between similar names is always so challenging! Here are my opinions:

Anne or Anya
While I personally prefer Anna, I think Anne is a lovely, classic choice. And you're right - it isn't used that often anymore (except as a middle name), making it seem fresh and new.

Lila or Lillian
This is harder for me to decide, as I think both are lovely. However, I do like that Lillian has the nickname potential of Lily.

Margaret (nn Mae) or Margot
I totally agree with what you said about Margaret. The nicknames Mae, Maggie, Margie, and Meg are all adorable. While I think Margot is adorable and unique, Margie is the only nickname that I think works for it. So, if the nicknames for Margaret are important to you, I'd go with the former.

Rose (nn Rosie) or Rosa
I think Rosie is a really cute nickname. I think I like Rose better because although I do think Rosa would age well, Rose is much simpler and more classic to me. But both have Rosie as a potential nickname, so either is pretty!

#7 Kookie

Kookie

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:16 AM

Anya
Lila
Margot
Rose <3

#8 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

I'm a little biased, we just got a puppy named Anya :) I should post a topic for her.. she's adorably hysterical. Anyway. I love Anya! It has personality to it definitely, just a fun name. Anne is darling though. Its a toughie!

Ah I like Lila and Lilian as well... both are probably about equally as popular. I know in my state particularly Lila seems more popular. I can't decide hehe!

Margaret is my favorite between the two. Margot is alright, but for whatever reason just not my cup of tea :)

Rose and Rosa.... again, I can't decide! I'd just find a combo for it and see which matches best ;) Or which matches with the surname :) Both are sooo pretty, I also love Rosette hehe <3

#9 MissJay

MissJay

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

Anya: So spunky and cute, I love it!
Lilian: I like them both, however I feel Lilian would age a little better.
Margaret (nn Mae): You cannot go wrong with Margaret, it is so classic and has unlimited nicknames. You could even try Margot/Margo as a nickname! Also Mae it so cute!
Rose (nn Rosie): Again, I like both. I really like Rosalie and Rosalind as well. :)

#10 Camellia

Camellia

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the opinions!

So it's 5 for Anya and 2 for Anne. I still really love both these, and since Ann is a family name, I really can't go wrong with either. I don't think I'm decided quite yet. I've been putting together combos and I've got Anya Caroline, Anya Kimberly, Anya Louise, and Anya Corinne. Then for Anne I've got Anne Priscilla and Anne Cecilia.

Again, 5 for Lila and 2 for Lilian. I think I'm leaning a little more towards Lila at this point. As for combos, I've thought of Lila Catherine, Lila Robin, Lila Kimberly, and Lila Corinne. For Lilian, I have Lilian Elise, Lilian Georgia, and Lilian Grace.

6 for Margaret and 2 for Margot. I think I'm going to have to go with Margaret on this one. I also really like the nn Maggie, but that's my sister's name, so I can't really go with that. But I love Mae just as much. <3 As for combos, I've got Margaret Aven, Margaret Elise, Margaret Leia, Margaret Louise, Margaret Corinne, and Margaret Kay. For Margot, I thought of Margot Cecilia, Margot Louise, and Margot Priscilla.

6 for Rose and 1 for Rosa. I really love both of these, and I know I'm probably going to go back and forth, but for now I'm thinking Rose. Combos I've thought of are Rose Elizabeth and Rose Penelope. For Rosa, I have Rosa Catherine, Rosa Louise, and Rosa Penelope.

(underlined combos have family names for middles)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: name list, names

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users