• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

I feel annoying making so many threads, but I thought this would be fun! If you have kids of your own, what are their nicknames? If you don’t, what are some of your favorites, or some that you have? Feel free to elaborate if the names have any story behind them :D

For Sinéad, we sometimes call her either “Shay” or “Nade” -- usually the first. I’m also getting a little more dependent on calling her Shay while using my laptop, as the darned thing doesn’t have a numbers pad capable of writing the accented ‘e’.

As for Shelby, we really just call her “Bee” -- I love it, even though it’s sometimes confusing because my car is named Bumblebee :unsure: (I really hope I'm not the only one with their car named...)

#2 Danni

Danni

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:I love reading...Romance and fantasy novels mostly, though I do get into some other genres every now and then. I also LOVE music...Mainly older music, but some newer stuff, also. I LOVE the Beatles! They are the greatest! lol. I also love to just drive around in my car...And shopping! When Ihave money, I LOVE to shop!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:30 PM

Well, I go by Danni (real name Danielle) and my sis Destiny goes by Des...

Sailor has too many nicknames to count. I call her Sai and Sail a lot...Sometimes I call her captain, because of the whole "sailor" thing, of course. lol. My grandmother calls her patat (dunno if I spelled that correctly), which is French for potato...She said she looked like a potato in the womb and so she keeps calling her patat...

#3 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:31 PM

Lol! Well, I didn't name this car, but my first one was a Blue Dodge Spirit we affectionately called Little Blue. OMG, that car made oodles of trips to and from Boston SO many times during college. I was kinda sad when the engine was about to give out and my step-dad finally said he wasn't rebuilding it a 3rd time. :unsure:

*sigh* back to the issue at hand.
My full first name is Cecilia Caitlín and I've always gone by Cait (pronounced just like Kate).
I do like nicknames for most people. Like my sister Fiona is "Fi" (like fee) and my husband Brian is "Bri", but my mother-in-law is Nancy and nicknames just don't suit her.
My first daughter will be Alana/Alanna Hazel and I know I'll probably end up calling her Lana.
My husband really likes the name Henry for a boy. I think it's nice, but my son will not be called Hank. Harry would be OK, but Bri's not a big fan. He thinks that people will always associate him with Harry Potter.
I also like James Edward, nn Jamie.

#4 Danni

Danni

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:I love reading...Romance and fantasy novels mostly, though I do get into some other genres every now and then. I also LOVE music...Mainly older music, but some newer stuff, also. I LOVE the Beatles! They are the greatest! lol. I also love to just drive around in my car...And shopping! When Ihave money, I LOVE to shop!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:34 PM

...I never named any vehicle I had, though Blake named his Mustang Sally...As in the car's name is Sally and it is a Mustang...He did that because we used to be obsessed with the songs "Mustang Sally" and "Hot Blooded", and he couldn't get a name out of the latter...We're very into the older songs and newer ones, but mostly older ones...

#5 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

Well, I go by Danni (real name Danielle) and my sis Destiny goes by Des...

Sailor has too many nicknames to count. I call her Sai and Sail a lot...Sometimes I call her captain, because of the whole "sailor" thing, of course. lol. My grandmother calls her patat (dunno if I spelled that correctly), which is French for potato...She said she looked like a potato in the womb and so she keeps calling her patat...

hmm... I've always known a potato as pomme de terre. Maybe it's a dialect or colloquial term I'm not familiar with.

Sorry, I know that was a bit random

#6 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:36 PM

My grandmother calls her patat (dunno if I spelled that correctly), which is French for potato...She said she looked like a potato in the womb and so she keeps calling her patat...

That's adorable!

Lol! Well, I didn't name this car, but my first one was a Blue Dodge Spirit we affectionately called Little Blue. OMG, that car made oodles of trips to and from Boston SO many times during college. I was kinda sad when the engine was about to give out and my step-dad finally said he wasn't rebuilding it a 3rd time. :unsure:

Aww, poor Little Blue :D My Bumblebee is a yellow (who would've guessed) Ford Mustang -- Josh insists that I need to trade him in for something bigger, but I just can't! I can just steal his SUV whenever needed ;)

And since I forgot to mention mine... well, no one seems to have a good nickname for "Charity". My mom still calls me Emmy sometimes, though, and apparently my dad did, too.

#7 Danni

Danni

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:38 PM

Yeah, no good nicknames for Charity...The only thing I can come up with is Chair, and that doesn't sound very pleasing...

#8 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:43 PM

Yeah, no good nicknames for Charity...The only thing I can come up with is Chair, and that doesn't sound very pleasing...

yeah... not too many nicknames go with Charity. :unsure:

#9 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:53 PM

yeah... not too many nicknames go with Charity. :unsure:

It's okay :D On the bright side, there were really never any teasing names, either... worst (and only) I've ever got was "charity case", I think.

#10 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

worst (and only) I've ever got was "charity case"

Oh, that's bad. I mean really corny. Please tell that was only in elementary school or middle school. The idea of older kids using that is rather disheartening, even if it never "got to you". :unsure:

#11 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:03 PM

Oh, that's bad. I mean really corny. Please tell that was only in elementary school or middle school. The idea of older kids using that is rather disheartening, even if it never "got to you". :unsure:

Actually, I think I heard it more in middle and high school than anywhere else -- scary, isn't it? I was always really sensitive to teasing, but that one was so pathetic that I never really cared :D

#12 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

Well aren't you happy to be an adult? All that teenage melodrama is gone, until your own kid gets to that stage and it all starts over again. The scary thing is you're going to be on the other side. :unsure:

#13 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

I'm seriously not looking forward to that

#14 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

I'm seriously not looking forward to that

Neither am I :unsure: I'd love to freeze time right about now!

#15 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

LOL :unsure:

#16 Danni

Danni

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

Well aren't you happy to be an adult? All that teenage melodrama is gone, until your own kid gets to that stage and it all starts over again. The scary thing is you're going to be on the other side. :unsure:

Every parent's worst nightmare: adolescents. lol. I'm kind of scared, looking back at how I used to be a few years ago and how life was in high school and how I was with my parents...

#17 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:21 PM

Every parent's worst nightmare: adolescents. lol. I'm kind of scared, looking back at how I used to be a few years ago and how life was in high school and how I was with my parents...

Amazingly enough, I was pretty much the epitome of "good girl" as an adolescent - my mom and I have always acted more as best friends than mother/daughter, and I cannot for the life of me fighting with her even once. Even still, I think what scares me the most is just... losing what I have with them now, really. I just got Shay and Shelby settled into bed and just... watching them sleep is the most amazing thing in the world to me. I'm going to miss that.

Luckily we still have plenty of amazing years ahead of us :unsure:

#18 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:16 PM

*sigh* I can't wait for that feeling

#19 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:20 PM

Trust me, when it gets here it will be the most incredible feeling in the world :unsure: Worth any wait.

#20 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

Yes, well... we'll know in a few weeks if we were successful yet or not. I'm anxious, torn between impending joy and disappointment. But this is just one of those things that is out of my hands, which drives me nuts b/c I like to plan everything. *sigh* The waiting is what's killing me right now. I hate the unknown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users