• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kivagurl

kivagurl

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

I *think* we have decided on the name Berkeley for our first little boy. I love the name, but am worried about how it will be received? Berkeley? Like the school?

What do you think of this name?

We are also having a really difficult time coming up with a middle name that we like. I think I want something a little more edgy to contrast with the first name, but haven't been able to come up with anything. Please help!

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

I think Berkeley is a nice name. Yes, I think of the school but there are a lot of kids receiving surnames for first names these days. I think Berkeley (nn Berk ?) should fit right in, yet still stand out. :( As for middle names...MORE EDGY? Okay...

Berkeley Axel
Berkeley Cruz
Berkeley Diesel
Berkeley Jax
Berkeley Kane
Berkeley Thorn/Torn
Berkeley Phoenix
Berkeley River
Berkeley Sawyer
Berkeley Xander
Berkeley Castor
Berkeley Zane
Berkeley Pierce
Berkeley Oisin
Berkeley Valen
Berkeley Hendrix
Berkeley Quade

...like any?

#3 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Berkeley Hayden
Berkeley Noah
Berkeley Lawrence
Berkeley Zeus
Berkeley Donald
Berkeley Quinton
Berkeley Ross
Berkeley Owen
Berkeley Everett
Berkeley Sanders

#4 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

I think Berkeley is a nice name. Yes, I think of the school but there are a lot of kids receiving surnames for first names these days. I think Berkeley (nn Berk ?) should fit right in, yet still stand out. :( As for middle names...MORE EDGY? Okay...

Berkeley Axel
Berkeley Cruz
Berkeley Diesel
Berkeley Jax
Berkeley Kane
Berkeley Thorn/Torn
Berkeley Phoenix
Berkeley River
Berkeley Sawyer
Berkeley Xander
Berkeley Castor
Berkeley Zane
Berkeley Pierce
Berkeley Oisin
Berkeley Valen
Berkeley Hendrix
Berkeley Quade

...like any?

Ditto!

I loved Katie's suggestion of Berkeley Pierce.
Personally, I'd pair it with something a little more traditional, but you could go either way really! :(

#5 kivagurl

kivagurl

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

I really like Berkeley Zane and Berkeley Phoenix, as well as several others. However, I am also getting feedback on another forum that Berkeley is a girl's name. I haver never personally met anybody named Berkeley, which was my initial hesitation on using it. I definitely don't want to use a girl's name for my boy! Does it sound girly?

#6 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Considering it is a surname...it really could go either way. But I wouldn't necessarily think 'girl' when I hear Berkeley. The only thing that I would consider feminine would be the -ley ending, but their are plenty of boys names that have the -ley ending as well (Wiley being one of my personal favorites). The Berke (Burk) sound is very masculine to me. Plus I think of Charles Barkley when I hear it so I think of it as being a masculine/sporty name.

#7 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

Considering it is a surname...it really could go either way. But I wouldn't necessarily think 'girl' when I hear Berkeley. The only thing that I would consider feminine would be the -ley ending, but their are plenty of boys names that have the -ley ending as well (Wiley being one of my personal favorites). The Berke (Burk) sound is very masculine to me. Plus I think of Charles Barkley when I hear it so I think of it as being a masculine/sporty name.

I was just going to say that "Berke/Burke" sounds very masculine to me. <_<
I think it could work on both sexes {I could imagine a girl named Berkeley, kind of like I could see a girl named Sawyer or Rowan.. just a bit more of a tomboy name than anything}. I personally like the idea of it on a little boy and it's also a name that I see ageing well!

It's a little like the Mackenzie, Addison, Delaney, Harper, Riley, Taylor, Preston, Carter, Kelly, Lane, Jordan, Ellis, Blaire, Reese and Tate's of the world. All surnames, all now considered unisex.

But I have a thing for surnames as 'first names'. I'm a fan of the likes of Warren, Gray, Broderick, Perry, Anderson, Dawson, Warner, Pierce and Brennan for little boys.

#8 xxThePumpkinQueenxx

xxThePumpkinQueenxx

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:singing, writing, reading, psychology, science, math, forensics, children, going to church, being with my family and SEC football. War Eagle!

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

I personally think it sounds fine for a little boy, and I like it much better for one that a girl.
<_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users