Photo

Names my husband is really pushing for...

name boy girl husband

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Htamath

Htamath

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

We're talking about having a baby, and the name debate has come up SEVERAL times. We both love unique names... but there's been a huge disaggrement over what they should be. Here are some of each of our top picks. I need some outside input please! Thanks!

His:
(Boy) Balarog (Bal-ah-rog)
(Boy) Cervantes (Sir-vanh-tess)
(Girl) Marrelle (Muh-rell)
(Girl) Beatrix (Be-uh-trix)

Mine:
(Boy) Eldridge (eld-ridge)
(Boy) Carlyle (Car-lile)
(Girl) Adeleigh (Ad-ah-lay)
(Girl) Lavinia (Lah-vin-ia)

#2 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

(Boy) Balarog (Bal-ah-rog)- Sorry, but not a fan of this one at all
(Boy) Cervantes (Sir-vanh-tess) It's nice, not my top pick but nice, good for a middle but perhaps could work for a first
(Girl) Marrelle (Muh-rell) Nice, though I almost can't tell it's for a girl
(Girl) Beatrix (Be-uh-trix) Nice, old fashioned and vintage. Nice as a first or middle

(Boy) Eldridge (eld-ridge) Not a favorite but its nice as a middle name
(Boy) Carlyle (Car-lile) LOVE! Either as a first or middle name
(Girl) Adeleigh (Ad-ah-lay) I prefer Adelaide over Adeleigh because it will mispronounced as Ade-uh-lee with all the Leigh (lee) names out there
(Girl) Lavinia (Lah-vin-ia) Not a huge fan but nice, could work as a middle name

#3 lovely_momma

lovely_momma

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

I enjoy extremely unique names as well, and it looks to me as if your husband put some real thought into the uniqueness of the names he suggested. I personally like Balarog and Marrelle the best. Second set would be Cervantes and Lavinia. Hope this helps :0

#4 Guest_Passionate Young Beauty 12_*

Guest_Passionate Young Beauty 12_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

What are the origins of such names? I have never heard some of them and can't even pronounce them well enough to evaluate....but of the ones I do know, I like 4 of them the most:

Adeleigh
Adelaide
Lavinia
Beatrix
Carlyle

Cervantes (SER-VAN-TESS) is handsome, but I'm pretty sure it's a surname. Sorry, but such a surname won't be too easily pronounceable in America. At least this is the situation of one guy I know who has that surname. How about Miguel or Michael instead, if you have Miguel de Cervantes in mind?

#5 MeganMoxie

MeganMoxie

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Education (I'm a teacher). Being online, reading and tv. I love to shop, but I can't afford it anymore lol.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

His:
(Boy) Balarog (Bal-ah-rog)-I don't like, sorry
(Boy) Cervantes (Sir-vanh-tess)-I kind of like this name, It is my favorite of all the boy choices
(Girl) Marrelle (Muh-rell)-its ok
(Girl) Beatrix (Be-uh-trix)-My favorite of the girl choices, LOVE

Mine:
(Boy) Eldridge (eld-ridge)-i'm sorry I don't like it
(Boy) Carlyle (Car-lile)-i'm sorry
(Girl) Adeleigh (Ad-ah-lay)-not for me, sorry
(Girl) Lavinia (Lah-vin-ia)- I like this name, I think Beatrix Lavinia would be really nice.

#6 Tora

Tora

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

I honestly don't think that these names are that far apart. You guys are definitely going to have to compromise on these things but that's with anybody having a baby! I would suggest that the two of you go through a name book together and pick out names that you like and most likely you'll find some names that you agree on!

#7 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

I love the name Adaleigh (ad uh LAY) however this spelling will definitely lead to confusion since most names with leigh are pronounced LEE. I prefer either the traditional spelling of Adelais or a more "english" spelling of Adalay.

Maybe you can compromise by one picking the first name and the other the middle? To make it fair maybe you could switch up who chooses what for a boy or girl (as long as you can live with the other's first name choice). A great way to compromise would be to veto the names that you could not tolerate and then allow the other person to choose from what is left. Maybe you could pick the first name for a boy and he could pick the middle name and then you could allow him to choose the first name for the girl while you pick a middle name...or vise verse.

I think Adalay Beatrix or Beatrix Adalay is lovely. Lavinia Beatrix and Beatrix Lavinia are also nice. I've never heard of Marrelle, but if I saw it I would think it was pronounced (Mare-elle) or (Mare-il) kind of like Meryl, so I could see pronunciation issues with this name as well.

As for your boys names, I think Eldridge is adorable :) and Carlyle is nice as well. Your husband's taste is definitely unique. Cervantes is nice, however I'm not a fan of Balarog.

I think your girl names go together nicely, however your boys names would definitely clash style-wise. Hmm....

#8 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

Balarog really isn't my style, maybe as a middle name? I prefer Cervantes of the two boy options he has. Beatrix is not an unused name at least, it has roots. I'm not a big fan, though I prefer Beatrice a little more. Feels a little softer I think. Marelle isn't horrible at all, just not my style.

Eldridge sounds very surnamey, which is very much in style. Another I don't love, but its not bad. Carlyle is handsome! I know more Carlyle's my fathers age, but thats not a bad thing at all. Its about ready for a comeback I'd say. Lyle is cute, almost just a less used version of Kyle. I like! Its my favorite of all the boys names selection. Carlyle Cervantes would sound quite fine! Adaleigh is nice, though I prefer the spelling Adalay. I see Leigh and I tend to think Lee, though in Leighton its used as Lay. Idk. Lavinia is very old fashioned which is very much my style. I love vintage names!! Lavinia has never been on my list personally, but it has a sweet feel to it I think. Vinny would be a darling nick name option!! Lavinia Beatrice would be cute!! Or Adalay Marelle!! I don't necessarily think all his names should be midle names by any means, I just think the flow is best in this order. Beatrix Lavinia would soun fine, Marelle Adalay okay. Lavinia Marelle is another option, though i think Lavinia Beatrix is great.

GL!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: name, boy, girl, husband

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users