Opie for a boys first name?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Carissa_*

Guest_Carissa_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

We are expecting our second son soon, and the naming process has been tough this time around! My husband loves the name Opie, but i think it's more of a nickname. His full name would be Opie Jeremiah Milam. I think it flows well, but still having reservations about the first name. Any thoughts?

#2 Jay.

Jay.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

Keep having reservations. How would you like to be a sixteen year old boy named Opie? Try Jeremiah Opie on for size :)

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Having grown up on Andy Griffith Show reruns...I automatically think of Opie Taylor. But that isn't necessarily a bad association. I think Opie Jeremiah is a nice combo. It does have a nickname feel but I think that "nickname" names are becoming rather mainstream and Opie would fit right in. I was curious to see if Opie was a nickname derived from another name but it looks like it is a name in its own right. I think Opie would be an adorable name on a little boy but I'm not sure I can picture it on an adult.

If you want some name suggestions that could give you the nn Opie, what about...

Opus
Opal
Leopold
Aesop
Bishop
  • Rissa8 likes this

#4 Untitled

Untitled

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

I don't like Opie at all, sorry. It makes me think of opium, as in the drug, and it's too nicknamey for my tastes.

#5 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

I have to agree with the above, first thing i associated the name with was opium!!! i think it could be a cute nickname but i wouldnt use it was his first christian name. i agree when he is 20 and going for job interviews it may not be on his side. im trying to think of names that may have that nick name but im not doing to well i cant add any Katie hasnt already mentioned. i did kinda think maybe Topher might work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users