• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Laney

Laney

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Jem cartoon, ER, CSI: Miami, Full House, Sailor Moon (original anime and live-action), Flashpoint, Felicity, ID channel, Food Network baking competitions, MasterChef/MasterChef Junior/Junior MasterChef Australia, movies (mostly 80's and 90's), writing/reading fan-fiction, baking, vegan cooking, photography, traveling, cats, books and tv shows/movies about female murderers, swimming, bowling, drawing, surfing the internet, forensics, Netflix, 80's and 90's music, picture editing, shopping, coffee (decaf mostly, but I love mocha Frappuccinos too)

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:35 PM

What are some nice middle names for Dmitri that would fit with my last name (McDonald), besides James or Michael? I like them and both are family names, but they're overused.

What other boys' names do you think I'd like? I'm trying to add to my name list, since I only have a few boys' names on it. I'm really picky about boys' names. lol I'd prefer something not in the top 200, but not weird either. I tend to go for Latvian/Russian (or Slavic names in general) and Irish names. That's not a requirement though.

My boys' list so far:
Eamon William (William honors my maternal grandfather and half-brother)
Eamon Francis 
Rhys Alfred (Alfred honors my paternal great-uncle and great-grandfather)
Ronan Jesse (Jesse honors a late great-great-uncle on my dad's side)
Ronan Alfred
Darius Joseph Vincent (I'm not sure about the middle name combination. Joseph honors a late great-uncle on my mom's side and a paternal uncle and 2nd cousin and Vincent honors a friend of my cousin's)
Dmitri _______

I'm not really loving Eamon or Rhys as much as I used to. They feel too close to the popular -aiden names and Reese (which is now more common for girls), respectively.

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:20 AM

I adore the name Rhys and don't think you should exclude it just yet. Although Reese is still more popular as a girls name than a boys, I believe overall, Reese/Reece/Rhys are declining in popularity for both boys and girls.  The spelling Rhys has been almost exclusively used for boys, so that helps avoid any gender confusion.  Rhys Alfred is a great combo and one of my favorites from your list.

You seem to prefer honoring names in the middle name spot. Its hard to come up with other options.  I think Dmitri James and Dmitri Michael McDonald sounds nice, but you could always go with a less common variant...Dmitri Jamison, Dmitri Jacob, Dmitri Seamus, Dmitri Miles, Dmitri Micah, Dmitri Mitchell, etc.

Of your other names, Ronan is nice, but a bit too similar sounding to Ronald McDonald for my taste.  I'm not a huge fan of Darius, but Darius Vincent McDonald sounds nice.

Hope this helps.  Good Luck!

#3 Laney

Laney

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Jem cartoon, ER, CSI: Miami, Full House, Sailor Moon (original anime and live-action), Flashpoint, Felicity, ID channel, Food Network baking competitions, MasterChef/MasterChef Junior/Junior MasterChef Australia, movies (mostly 80's and 90's), writing/reading fan-fiction, baking, vegan cooking, photography, traveling, cats, books and tv shows/movies about female murderers, swimming, bowling, drawing, surfing the internet, forensics, Netflix, 80's and 90's music, picture editing, shopping, coffee (decaf mostly, but I love mocha Frappuccinos too)

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:12 PM

You have a good point about Ronan sounding similar to Ronald.  I never realized that until you said it.  lol  I was teased with the Ronald McDonald thing all the time when I was a kid.  Maybe as a middle name it would be better then.

From your suggestions, I like Dmitri Jacob and Dmitri Mitchell.  I hear Jacob a lot as a first name, but hardly as a middle and Mitchell isn't heard much around here either.

The middles don't have to honor family or friends (Francis doesn't, as far as I know).  Most of them tend to be honor names, though I also prefer classic, but not overly common ones.  Then again, I've used Rose a lot on my girls' list, and Elizabeth too.   I'm just getting around to editing those.  One of my GP names Xanthe is very unusual so Rose works perfectly, but it sounds boring when it's paired with something more common.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users