• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Laney

Laney

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Jem cartoon, ER, CSI: Miami, Full House, Sailor Moon (original anime and live-action), Flashpoint, Felicity, ID channel, Food Network baking competitions, MasterChef/MasterChef Junior/Junior MasterChef Australia, movies (mostly 80's and 90's), writing/reading fan-fiction, baking, vegan cooking, photography, traveling, cats, books and tv shows/movies about female murderers, swimming, bowling, drawing, surfing the internet, forensics, Netflix, 80's and 90's music, picture editing, shopping, coffee (decaf mostly, but I love mocha Frappuccinos too)

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:06 PM

I really like the name Amara (ah-mar-ah) for a girl, but is it too close to my given name, Amanda, or is it still usable?

#2 Barbie

Barbie

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, sign language, riding horses, volunteering, working with children, and teaching martial arts!

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:09 PM

I think it's not too similar, but that also depends on if you were to hear it, would you hear your name? My cat's name is Clarice and I'm Grace. Sometimes when my family says Clarice I think they're calling for me. So, if someone in your house says Amara and you don't think they said Amanda, then I think you're fine to use it ;)

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:26 AM

I don't think they are too similar...plus you could use the nn Mara (if you like) and it would be even less so.   

• indi1993 likes this

#4 Laney

Laney

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Jem cartoon, ER, CSI: Miami, Full House, Sailor Moon (original anime and live-action), Flashpoint, Felicity, ID channel, Food Network baking competitions, MasterChef/MasterChef Junior/Junior MasterChef Australia, movies (mostly 80's and 90's), writing/reading fan-fiction, baking, vegan cooking, photography, traveling, cats, books and tv shows/movies about female murderers, swimming, bowling, drawing, surfing the internet, forensics, Netflix, 80's and 90's music, picture editing, shopping, coffee (decaf mostly, but I love mocha Frappuccinos too)

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:40 AM

Thanks!  :)  I like Mara as a nickname.  It's cute and works for any age.

#5 Sparkle

Sparkle

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:29 AM

They do look a bit the same but they don't really sound that similar which is probably the more important thing.

#6 JennyB

JennyB

Superstar Baby Namer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:12 AM

I don't think that they are too close. Amara is beautiful! I hesitate on Mara. In the Bible, Naomi changed her name to Mara, which meant "bitter," after her husband and sons died. Because of that, I personally wouldn't choose that for a nn.

Go for it with Amara!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users