#1 heimarmene

heimarmene

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

Hi guys :wub:

I'm naming the three major characters in a novel of mine, and they're giving me a good bit of trouble - the main character, the main character's brother, & the brother's girl. The setting is London, England, but the main & her brother were born & lived in New York City for about 17 years.

The main character is 19 & an art major. She's not a huge talker, & is sweetly spunky. She doesn't usually go bothering other people, but is pretty nosey about her brother/family's life. I'm looking for something olde-fashioned, nicknamey, short & sweet, but with an edge of spunk. Nellie & Lottie both crossed my mind, but Nellie's a bit too sweet & I'm a Charlotte so Lottie wouldn't work Willa & Lizzie were two others that could possibly work. Tessa is a definite favourite, but there's a character from a YA fiction series with a heroine named Tessa - some of the familial plotlines are scarily close, & I'm worried about overstepping the line, even though Tessa suits my character perfectly. Gemma was another option.

Anyways, the main character has an older brother named Crispin, who's an English major; they're about two years apart in age. He's 22 & gentle/humble/kinda awkward with most people. He grew up taking care of himself, his little sister, & their scatterbrained parents/aunt. He's Cris to most people, but the main calls him Pip. His name is pretty integrated with the character.

Crispin likes a girl who's snobby & hates his guts. Her name (so far) is Philippa - she's London-born to celebrity parents, & is a year older than the main. She's really horrid to Crispin at first (they're in the same extracurricular drama class). She's very aloof to everyone but a select few because she was taught to avoid potential cling-ons/paparazzi/people in general by her famous parents. The only beef I have with her name is that her nickname ends up being Pippa - is it weird/cutesy to have a couple go by Pip & Pippa (though only to the main)? If so, I'd love to hear suggestions for the girl's name B)

Crispin & the main were born in New York City to rather eclectic boho-cool parents who dumped them to live with their artist aunt when the main was 3-5 years old. Not sure if that'll help with the naming criteria, but they were kind of yupster-quirky-cool. Philippa comes from a large family full of pretentious-sound names.

Thanks! ;)

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

What about Betty or Betts for the main? Billie, Bobbie, Babs? Em (for Emilia) or Im (for Imogen)? Dee?

#3 Mahrukh

Mahrukh

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

Your idea is very good...

call the main character Samantha, and short form could be Sam.

Crispin is a nice name, and Phillipa is good too.. and Pip and Pippa sounds soooooooooo cute.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users