#1 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:44 PM

Right now I have a major crush on the name Rue

I love that it's the name of a pretty little flower, but a couple things bother me...

1. With how popular the Hunger Games has become, is the association too much? I definitely don't think it's as bad as Katniss. I have this same problem with Primrose, another name I adore, though I'm even more fond of Rue.

2. Rue is also a word name that means 'regret.' It's interesting to me, but I don't like the idea that it brings up that if I used it as a first or middle it would be like calling my beautiful daughter a regret, which will never be true.

3. I also like Rue as a nickname for the boy name Rudy, which I'm not sure I would ever use, but still. I'm usually set in stone about the gender of names, so this throws me off a bit.

I'm most likely to use Rue as a middle for a girl, because it's so short, but what do you think of it? Usable or not so much?

#2 RMC9514

RMC9514

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:41 PM

As a first name, I wouldn't use it on its own. It could work as a nickname for Ruby or Rumer. It could work as a middle name, I think.

It does remind me of The Hunger Games. That's what I would assume you were thinking of when you chose it.

I don't think anyone would think you were trying to say your little girl was a regret or mistake. I bet a lot of people don't even know what the word "rue" means.

I wouldn't use it myself as a first or a middle, but if you really love it, I don't think it's a terrible name.

#3 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for the input! I did first discover Rue when reading The Hunger Games, but I love it as a name, not necessarily because of the character association. And I do like Rue as a nickname for Ruby, but unfortunately I had a wonderful cat who died last July. So I can't exactly ever use Ruby  :blush: 

#4 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:57 PM

I adore Rue. I came across it way before hunger games and i think of the cooking term or french street more than i think of the regret aspect but still lends some sadness to the name that i find beautiful. Hunger games just enhanced that even more. I think it could work as a nickname for the names above, i also like it as a nickname for Rooney or Rouen or it could stand on its own spelled Rue or Roux.

#5 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:01 PM

I love Rue as a nickname for Andrew (on boys, obviously). I do know a girl named Ruth who goes by Rue. She's about 2. I like it ok, but really prefer it on boys.

#6 LiteBrite

LiteBrite

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

I also adore Rue, but am hesitant for all the same reason you are. The one that got me the most was the meaning. For that reason it is now on my middle name only list, which breaks my heart.

#7 HolzP23

HolzP23

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:32 PM

I love Rue! I hope to use it one day for a baby girl. I was trying to think of how to combine two family names of Ruth and Sue, and Rue was perfect. It's a very cute name, short and sweet. It would be a great middle name as well. Just because a name "means" something doesn't mean you are naming your child because of that meaning. My name is Holly and literally means bush with red berries.. I'm not a bush lol My mom simply loved the name.

#8 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for all the input! If anything, I'll use it as a middle. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users