• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

Thats what my friend tells me every time I have an issue... its my Remma-Dilemma. Hah. And I'm definitely having
one now when it comes to girls names. I have those names on my list that I know I'll use someday. I love them, they are traditional, beautiful names that would age fabulously and just sound great. But they certainly do feel so boring at times! I'll always go back to them, I considered even taking them off my list for a while but I just couldn't give them up. I just know I'll use Charlotte, Amelia, Willow or something someday if I have a girl. But I still want to venture out a little more with names and see what I can come up with.

I've been peaking through nameberry and looking up names. Its funny, cause normally I veer towards traditional, old fashioned names. But I've been trying to expand my boundaries in hopes of finding something fresh to add to my list! So far, I have a few name thoughts. I'd love some opinions here!
Tessa - I talked to Mike about it, and he likes it! He never said if its a GP or really on the list (though he doesn't tend to specify right away). And ever since Heather posted a topic about names for her puppy, and since I saw Tesla, I've just been growing so much on Tess names!! And to be completely honest, I'd adore Tesla on my girls names list! Tessa is probably going to be a definite on the list... but what do you ladies think of Tesla? I don't have any issues with the association of Nikola Tesla, the electromagnetic inventor person thing haha. I don't know all that much about him, but I did watch a history channel thing about him before and never heard anything that popped out as horrible about him. So, do you think Tesla could be pulled off as a name? I imagine it aging fine, I don't see a huge teasing potential... do you? Hmm.

Katya - Mike was mentioning liking Kate names the other day, he loves Katelyn. My only problem with Katelyn is I have a close friend named that and I don't really want my future kid to share a name with her. No offense to her, I just don't care for it. He was okay with Katherine. Kate itself is just okay. But he liked Katya! I've mentioned it to him before and he liked it before, but I guess he likes it a lot again now. I do! I'd almost even prefer Catya, but I feel like that takes away from the traditional Russian spelling there. I think its short enough to not need a nick name, I pronounce this in two syllables like the russians do: almost like "catch-yeah". I don't want kat-tee-ah. I guess I'm just feeling on the fence about it, and would love some swaying for/against it.

Skye - I liked Skyler for a bit, but I think plain Skye is what I like. Mike said the same. Probably as a middle name.

Arden - boy or girl? It looks almost unisex, but it makes me think girl. Am I correct? It makes me think of this clothing store, Arden B. I went there a few times. Ari would probably be a nick name for it. Its just in the thought process for now, I'm not entirely sure of it.

Fern - I've had it on my list for a little while, and I'd like some honest opinions on it! When I asked about it before I got positive feedback. But once I made combo's for it people seemed to dislike it. Do you think this is a good name? It'd probably be a middle name, tbh. I really like how soft it sounds, and lately I'm loving nature names.

As you can tell, a lot of my names have been turning to nature names. Willow is an absolute favorite of mine. I have Skye, Arden (valley of the eagle), Fern, Hadley (heathery field), all on my list. I've been loving Rosalind, but I'm being unsure on that as well. And I'm all round looking for more nature names! Not necessarily obvious ones, like Willow and Fern are. But I also love how Arden and Hadley are nature names but not in your face sort. I'd love to have a sibling set of Willow and Hadley, they have that connection yet aren't an obvious pattern! Loooove it!

I'd love any thoughts you ladies could give me! I'm mostly looking for just opinions, but if you are bored or feel like giving suggestions, I'm always opened ;) haha <3 Love you girls!!

#2 coyote19

coyote19

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Traveling, Japan, Languages, and Names : )

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

A lot of the names you've added actually have a more old time feel to me.

Tessa- I like it and it is classical in my opinion, I actually made a thread a long time ago, like idk 3 years ago? On a different account about the name Tesla specifically inspired by the inventor. I really like the name, and the one person who posted liked it to I believe they said it had a certain spark to it and I agree. It's a nice alternative to the more boring Tessa and I don't see teasing potential.

Katya- Not a fan, I've never liked names that start with what sounds like the word cat in them...it's just abrupt and rough to me idk why. With the way you want to pronounced I like it a bit more but people are always going to see it and say "Cat-ee-ah" Katelyn, Kate and Katherine are alright but not names I adore.

Skye- I feel kind of like it's gotten too much play as a name, it's like a song on a radio you hear it the first time and you're really into it then you hear it everywhere and begin to get irritated with it. I can see the appeal, it's short and graceful in sound and would make an interesting middle name when paired right. I'd consider it for a character maybe.

Arden- I see it as more of a masculine name because it sounds like harden which is a rough word with emphasis on the R. However I'd never use it for either gender because I think it has a lot of teasing potential since it rhymes with harden.

Fern- To me this is a really old name, it's in the grandma category to me. I always think of the movie/book that I believe is called Where the Red Fern Grows which is very similar to Ol' Yeller, both are great movies. Now the name, not one I'd use but it's definitely an interesting thought considering that nature names seem to be getting a lot of attention lately.

#3 coyote19

coyote19

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Traveling, Japan, Languages, and Names : )

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

I really love Rosalind, I associate it to the character from As You Like It which is my fav. Shakespearean piece : )

#4 ElizabethRuth

ElizabethRuth

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

Tessa- I really like this name and keep going back and forth on putting it on my list. The reason I don't is beacuse to me it sounds incomplete almost like more of a sound than a name if that makes any sense. Tesla, hmm... I really don't like it.
Katya- I don't really like this name. It sounds really harsh to me.
Skye- Definitly like Skye better than Skyler. Skye to me sounds like a good choice for a possible middle name.
Fern- Not my favorite nature name but as a middle name it could work.

#5 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

Tessa/Tesla - Tess used to be one of my favorite names. When I was in middle school I wanted to change my name to Tess. I think Tessa is spunky and sweet and would be super cute on a little girl yet still wearable on an adult. Tesla seems more modern. It also has a more grown up / no-nonsense feel about it while still feeling quite feminine.

Katya and Tesla have the same sort of feel to me. I think they would work great for siblings. They are both interesting and unusual yet still very recognizable and easy to pron. (at least IMO).

I definitely get the softness of Fern. Like Tess it has no-nonsense feel yet still very feminine. I think it would work well in the middle name spot.

Skye is very similar to Fern but where Fern has a softer sound, Skye is a bit more harsh sounding which also makes it sound a bit more modern. While I tend to stray away from harsh sounding names, I think this fits in with your other names nicely.

Arden - What I like most about this name is the similarity/illusion to the word ardent which I think has a great meaning. Like Skye, I think Arden has a bit harsher sound, plus the -n ending encourages the unisex use. But personally I think Arden fits more for a girl.

To sum up, I think all five of these names fit nicely together style-wise.
Tessa/Tesla, Katya and Fern are my favorite from this list.
Arden & Skye are a bit too modern for my taste. However they are both nice sounding names.

#6 Sami Marie

Sami Marie

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Names
    Movies
    Music
    Family

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Tessa - This is my "god-brother's" 4 year old daughter's name. I love it. I feel like her name just fits her (Tessa Mae).

Katya - I'm not a fan of "difficult" to pronounce names. Mostly because I do struggle to pronounce some words (yes, I'm 24 and have a difficult time with pronunciations). I'm a fan of Katherine names as well but mostly Kate, Katie, and normal variant spellings of Katherine.

Skye - Skye is a definitely middle name option for me. I'm not a fan of other Skye names.

Arden - I agree, I think of a girl. Arden "Ari" would definitely work.

Fern - I'm not a fan of Fern as a first name but as a middle name I'd love it.

Hadley - a town in my home state (MI). Thats what i think of when i hear it, well other than you of course.

Rosalind -I'm not a fan of this, I do like other "Rose" names like Rose (GP), and Rosalie. If I remember correctly Rosalie is someone in my family tree but it might take me forever to find it. LOL

There's a list of names on behindthename.com under name themes for various themed meanings (fiery, watery, earthy, airy, flowery, foresty, etc) and names that associated with things found in nature (flowers, ocean). Thats where I go when i redo my name list, I sit and go thru page by page of all the names in their database.
:) hope i helped!

#7 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

Tessa - I love Tessa! I have to admit I prefer Tessa over Tesla, but Tesla isn't bad.

Katya - I like it. It's definitely "Russian - sounding", but I think it could work. I can't decide whether I prefer Katya or Catya though.

Skye - I think I prefer Skye, too. And I agree, it makes a nice middle name.

Arden - I guess I can see it on a girl, but it does sound rather masculine to me.

Fern - I like it! I wish it were used more often because it's so pretty. I'td make a nice middle name, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users