• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MalloryMae

MalloryMae

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • Interests:Everything Disney, Marvel & Star Wars!

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

I like Bailey on both genders, I just wanted to know if anyone had a strong opinion. And also, for curiosity's sake, what names would go well with Bailey? (for a boy or a girl) unisex? Ending in -y? Girly? Boyish? Starting with B?

#2 DanielleH

DanielleH

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:12 PM

When I think about Bailey, I imagine a girl. I would pick a girly/feminine middle name and I usually prefer different initials.

#3 Laney

Laney

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,283 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Jem cartoon, ER, CSI: Miami, Full House, Sailor Moon (original anime and live-action), Flashpoint, Felicity, ID channel, Food Network baking competitions, MasterChef/MasterChef Junior/Junior MasterChef Australia, movies (mostly 80's and 90's), writing/reading fan-fiction, baking, vegan cooking, photography, traveling, cats, books and tv shows/movies about female murderers, swimming, bowling, drawing, surfing the internet, forensics, Netflix, 80's and 90's music, picture editing, shopping, coffee (decaf mostly, but I love mocha Frappuccinos too)

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:22 PM

I'm not a fan of Bailey for either gender, but it's a lot better for a boy, as it's originally a surname which makes it feel very masculine.  I can't picture it for a girl, especially when she's an adult.  I can't shake the association with Bailey's Irish Cream liquor so it feels unsophisticated IMO.

#4 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:58 PM

The only Bailey I knew in real life was a boy, and I prefer it on a boy because of that. I do like Bay for a girl though.

#5 Marvelous_Things

Marvelous_Things

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 6,663 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, psychology, history, literature, anime, cosplay, and names.

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:40 AM

The only Bailey I know is a girl, but I have no problem picturing it on a boy. It's one of the few names that I can see being truly unisex. 

#6 .:alexandra:.

.:alexandra:.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:linguistics, psychology, books, conspiracy theories (within reason), equality, space/astrology, names

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:19 AM

In the US I have only known girls named Bailey. So many girls with that name with various spellings. But, in Australia, I only meet boys named Bailey. But since I first only met girls with that name, I think of a girl when I hear that name.

I would pair the name with other gender neutral and/or popular (or somewhat popular) names. An example:

Bailey (girl)

Avery (boy)

Madison (girl)

Harper (girl)

Noah (boy)

When I think of the name Bailey, I think of very modern and popular names, although ironically Bailey has been around for quite some time, like since the 1800's at least. That being said, you could also pair it with other old-fashioned names or other surnames as first names. But, using names that end in -y or the sound "lee" would work as well.

#7 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:47 AM

I prefer it for a boy, but it doesn't seem out of place on a girl imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users