Photo

Aili hard to pronounce?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Baby Name Genie

Baby Name Genie

Baby Name Genie

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:06 AM

Name: mellissa

have you ever heard the name aili - do you think it will be hard for people to pronounce

#2 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:42 AM

Well, there are 2 offical pronunciations of that Gaelic name "AY lee" & "EYE lee". I tend to automatic use the former. I don't think there should be too much of an issue for her with this name.

#3 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:16 PM

i agree with the above, that i don't think it is that bad too pronounce, but if you do worry, i suggest using ayli or isli, though they look cutesy, based on other spellings of names alya and isla, i think they make it easier at first pronunciation.

#4 Liz

Liz

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:31 PM

I don't know that I'd consider it hard to pronounce (I'd say it AY-lee), but I think it would get misread as Alli a lot (and now Alli is a weight loss drug that causes "anal leakage").

#5 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

I've seen it once but I don't know how it was pronounced (it was written down). I'd say EYE-lee. Maybe you coul use Islee if you want that pronunciation, or Ayli/Aylee if you want it that way. Anyway, it's not too difficult to pronounce, people will guess it's one of these two, and if they get it wrong you just have to correct them.

#6 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:09 AM

Yep, I agree with everyone. It's only gonna be pronounced one of two ways, and that's the same with a lot of names, so I'd say go for it!

#7 Hannah

Hannah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:31 AM

Yep, I agree with everyone. It's only gonna be pronounced one of two ways, and that's the same with a lot of names, so I'd say go for it!

I agree with her completely!