9 replies to this topic

#1 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

So I have been rolling this name around in my head and was wondering how you guys pronouce it. Funny question I know.

So do you guys pronouce it At-i-kuss or Uh-TYE-Kuss?
I love both!

Thanks!

~Jaymey

#2 Malligal

Malligal

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Art, Writing, Books, Movies, Music, Concerts, Travel, Maps, Road trips

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

Atticus is one of my favorite names. It is pronounced the first way, AT-a-kuss. One of the main reasons that I like it is because it's the name of one of the main characters in Harper Lee's novel "To Kill A Mockingbird". I have this small tendency of falling in love with names of literary characters. Anyways... it's an amazing book, and you should definitely read it.

#3 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

Atticus is one of my favorite names. It is pronounced the first way, AT-a-kuss. One of the main reasons that I like it is because it's the name of one of the main characters in Harper Lee's novel "To Kill A Mockingbird". I have this small tendency of falling in love with names of literary characters. Anyways... it's an amazing book, and you should definitely read it.

So do I! Characters from anything, I always fall in love with them! lol. I may read To Kill A Mockingbird. I don't really like to read though :D

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:36 PM

I like Atticus- manly and handsome! And a great character association :) I haven't actually read the entire thing, just know parts of it :D surprising, seeing as I love to read... Ah well.

But, pronounced At-ih-cuss, stress at the beginning :D I think... <3

~ Haddie

#5 Malligal

Malligal

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,005 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Art, Writing, Books, Movies, Music, Concerts, Travel, Maps, Road trips

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:47 PM

But, pronounced At-ih-cuss, stress at the beginning :D I think... <3

Yep, that's it - stressed on the AT. Here, this might help:
http://www.howjsay.c...hp?word=atticus

And hey, you might get a chance to read it yet - it's required reading in most American high schools. That's where I first read it. :)

#6 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:54 PM

I get it now- thanks!!! Haha, you've been super helpful lately Mal! A zillion thank you'd from me! :D

But my bffs all read it and recommended it, but since I'm homeschooled now it's not required :/ I'll go to the library and read it though, I love classics! <3

#7 Malligal

Malligal

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

Haha, you've been super helpful lately Mal! A zillion thank you'd from me! :D

Aw! I'm glad I can help! :D

And yes, it's a great read - I definitely recommend it! (The movie version with Gregory Peck is pretty great too - if you like old movies. :))

#8 Amsel

Amsel

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:43 AM

11. Love that book. 2. Agreed.

#9 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:25 AM

I gotta read the book before watching the movie, but I do like old time movies <3

#10 Starlight

Starlight

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:06 AM

Atticus is a little too old-fashioned for me, but I like it prnounced as At-i-kuss. Then again im from Australia and we dont pronounce many name's the same way as you Americans do.. so :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users