8 replies to this topic

#1 JENN2688

JENN2688

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

Well, I have planned ( ever since I was little) to use Edward as a middle name for a future son, as is is my g-pa's middle name and I want to honor him! The only thing is now, everyone will assume that I chose this name because of Twilight! UGH! I mean I love the saga, but why do people have to make such a big deal out of nothing! I mean if a person wants to name their child after someone or something, why in green acres should it matter!

Anyways, it just bugs the pee out of me, when people assume!

#2 Anna.

Anna.

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:48 PM

I agree! Edward is my father's middle name and I've always kept it on my list as a name I might want to use for a middle name but I'm worried about associations with the Twilight Saga as well! I think if it's kept as the middle name, it won't be a huge problem.

#3 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

I'm sorry Jenn. I could understand how that would be annoying.

I like the name Lavender, but when I tell people about it they always mention Lavender from Matilda. Bleh. And when I say I like Lavender and Luna, they go "That's too Harry Potter! Which isn't even where I got the ideas from. I know its a little different because they aren't family names, but still, it sucks.

#4 Evy

Evy

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:04 PM

i totally get what yuo mean, Jenn.

now that im over my Twilight fad, it bothers me that my friends assume Isobels name is a 'made up version of Bella (Isabella) name"

#5 kate_madsen

kate_madsen

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:55 PM

i agree! Edward is a great name, but the assumptions people make a ridiculous! I would understand people making those assumptions if the name was more unusual, say, like Dumbledore or Hermione (obviously, with those names, it is understandable that people will assume you chose that name due to HP)

But, Edward has always been a fairly popular name for the past century, so i don't see why people think it's a Twilight thing. Same as Michael, there are a million Michael's, but people don't assume you named your child after Michael Jackson.

My advice, chose it if you love it, and forget about what others think. In a few years, Edward will be another Michael or Harry, in that no-one will associate it with a famous person / character.

#6 Fez

Fez

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:57 PM

I understand how you feel, Jenn!
I have the same problem with the name Isabella. I will use the name for one of my daughters, after my beloved aunt/godmother Isabel. But whenever I mention it to anyone, I almost always get one of the following reactions: "great, like Bella Swan!" or "argh, why would you want to name your daughter after the Twilight girl, she's so annoying! and those books are so badly written!"
So, yes, I completely understand you. Why do people have to make such a big deal out of nothing?

On the other hand, when I say that I plan to use Emma for my first girl, almost nobody makes a connection with Jane Austen's book. The literary connection is one of the reasons why I want to use it. Paradoxical, isn't it? (the other reason is that I am unconditionally and irrevocably in love with the name Emma!)

PS. Jenn, I love the P&P quote!

#7 JENN2688

JENN2688

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:47 AM

On the other hand, when I say that I plan to use Emma for my first girl, almost nobody makes a connection with Jane Austen's book. The literary connection is one of the reasons why I want to use it. Paradoxical, isn't it? (the other reason is that I am unconditionally and irrevocably in love with the name Emma!)

PS. Jenn, I love the P&P quote!

Thanks so much Fez!
I love that!
I love my P&P!
Jane Austen is so awesome!
I plan on using Elinor b/c of her!

I really don't care anymore, but it does bother me how that happens, no one notices poor Jane Austen!

#8 JENN2688

JENN2688

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for the awesome feedback everyone!

I just needed to rant and now I could care less!
People can think what they want, when I name my children!

#9 Momo Cicerone

Momo Cicerone

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,022 posts
  • Interests:-Manga/Anime
    -Reality shows
    -Fanfiction (ages ago)
    -Books (Science fiction, Romance, Fantasy, Poetry, Adventure, Suspense, etc)
    -Shopping (shoes -watched too much Sex & the City)
    -Movies (and popcorn)
    -Surfing the internet
    -Video games (ages ago)
    -Dogs (Have an Alaskan Malamute named Zoe)
    -Karaoke (could stay all night long)
    -Drawing (ages ago, already lost my touch)

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:20 PM

Well said, Jenn!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users