Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

What are your thoughts on these names?

Augustine
[AH gus teen]
August may be all boy, but Augustine has been used for both genders. However, it hasn't been popular for the girls in the US since 1930.

Esmeray
[Ehz mer ay]
Its Esme meets Rae.
Turkish name derived from the words esmer 'brunette' and ay 'moon'

Alea
[Al ee]
Pronounced like Ally as a nickname for Alexandrea pron. [ah lek zan DRAY ah] rather than [ah lek ZAN dree ah]

Laurien
[Lah ree uhn]
Variant of spelling of Lorean derived from the same root as Lauren

Eugenia
[yoo JEEN yah]
Feminine form of Eugene. Reminds me a lot of the name Virginia which was my grandmother's name.

Elladie
[El uh dee]
Like Melody without the M, somehow removing the M makes this name even more melodic :(

#2 VictoriaRose

VictoriaRose

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

I love the names August/Augustine for both genders! I think that they are unique and different yet still very wearable and stylish.
I'm not a fan of the way that Esmeray looks but I do like the sound of it. It's a great alternative to Esmeralda as a longer version for the nn. Esme.
I'm not a fan of Alea spelled this way but I do like the nn. Ally for the name Alexandrea
I love Laurien! It seems more feminine than Lauren and very fresh.
I think that Eugenia is definitely an older name that is ready for a comeback!
I love the name Elodie but I prefer this spelling. It just looks more natural to me than Elladie but I love the sound of it!

#3 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

I can actually see how Augustine could be used on either gender, though its not my style either way! <3

I'm not a big Esme fan, I actually quite dislike it minus the association of my aunts chicken named Esme [who's actually quite the beautiful chicken, actually! :lol: she almost looks like an eagle.. so peculiar!]. I don't care for Rae either... but they honestly do sound nice together :(

That alternative pronunciation on Alexandrea is quite interesting!!! I actually really like it, though I do prefer the pronunciation i'm used to :) My best friend had a friend named Andrea [ahn-DRAY-uh] from Romania, and though I don't like the name Andrea [ANN-dree-uh] at all, the other way of saying it is lovely! <3 Not a name I'd use, but sounds really nice on another person type of name :P Alea is okay, though I see it as a-lee-uh, so I'd be confused for a bit. I know Lea technically does make the lee sound as well as leah, but it has an A in it, so I think the A deserves to be heard ;) hehe!
Au
I really like Laurien!!! <3 I think it would be confused with Lauren very often and look kind of miss-spelled, but its really pretty!

Eugenia I have been seeing a lot of lately! Searching around Nameberry, I think it was! <3 I'm still iffy on it, but its pretty!

Elladie, hehe I love. Like Elodie, except spelled more... phonetically? I suppose thats the word. I much prefer Elodie, rather than Elladie. because it looks like Ella-die. However, the sound is quite nice!!!

Thanks for sharing these! I love it when you post names like this-- I get to learn either interesting facts about names I'm only kind of familiar with, or just generally interesting names! I thought of you, actually. Because I was searching for some boys names and came across some neat ones I almost posted on, but forgot by the time I got home from work :( But this one caught my eye:

Cadby - Old Norse, meaning "the warriors settlement". I thought it sounded really nice. though I have a tendency to prefer C names.

Random, hehe. I saw others that I liked, but they were moreso familiar to me. Calder, Calista, etc <3

:)

#4 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

I'm surprised that you both mentioned Elodie. I didn't really think of it being the same/similar to Elladie. I pron. Elodie (EL oh dee) and Elladie like (El lah DEE). But I guess they are very similar.

Remy: I feel the same way about ANN Dree uh and Ann DRAY uh. And I do like Cadby...It kind of reminds me of Cadbury eggs. :(

#5 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:47 AM

First thing I thought of when I saw Elladie WAS Elodie too! :(

When I speak in English, I prn. Elodie "ELLE-ah-dee", but in French "El-oh-DEE".
Same with Andrea!
Prn. in English "Ann-DREE-uh" but in French "On-DRAY-ah".

#6 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

First thing I thought of when I saw Elladie WAS Elodie too! :(

When I speak in English, I prn. Elodie "ELLE-ah-dee", but in French "El-oh-DEE".
Same with Andrea!
Prn. in English "Ann-DREE-uh" but in French "On-DRAY-ah".

Is it weird that I never even considered pronouncing Elodie "ELLE ah dee"?...I've always pron. it "El oh DEE"

#7 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

Is it weird that I never even considered pronouncing Elodie "ELLE ah dee"?...I've always pron. it "El oh DEE"

It's not weird at all!
Maybe it's just my accent that makes it sound like that, I'll never know.

But when I speak French, it just comes out "El-Oh-DEE".. it's not really something I think of! :(

If that makes any sense at all....

#8 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Its funny, cause I've always pronounced Elodie like ella-DEE. In the same way when I say Melody, it emphasizes the ending as well. However, in saying Eloise, I've been forcing myself to have to say ELLE-uh-weeze, otherwise the emphases on the wheeze part would bother me :( I think the Elodie thing is all just an accent difference, hehe! Though, its awkward that everyone else in English says it ELLE-ah-dee, when I must be saying it "wrong"? Well, not necessarily wrong per say. Just in accordance with my accent? Idk! ;)

But lol! Maybe thats why Cadby sounded so sweet to me! :) Its funny how putting the emphases on another section of a name can turn a name into an entirely different name, really! Like if people said Jessica like jeh-SICK-ah, then I feel like less people would find it as attractive than JESS-ih-cuh. It makes the entire name sound a whole lot softer, with the softer syllables being emphasized or something. But its the same with Andrea. Emphasizing the DRAY, instead of the ANN, makes the name sound softer to me. And I think I prefer softer sounding names :P

Lol, running a rabbit trail here! :) Don't mind me! I'm a scatter brain :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users