3 replies to this topic

#1 kwatts

kwatts

Superstar Baby Namer

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

So, at my Church there was a baptism recently, and I heard a rather unusual name used. At first, I thought the baby girl was named Amanda, but listening to the priest say it more and more I found out it was Arminda. The family's Hispanic so I thought it might be a Hispanic name, but I'm not sure. Has anyone heard this name or know anything about it?

To be honest, it's not a name I'd ever consider using, but it just perplexed me a bit when I heard it, and I thought I'd see if anyone knew anything about it.

Thanks!

#2 Lilah

Lilah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:18 AM

Well it seems like Arminda comes from the name Armida (just take away the N). It is Italian and Spanish. It was first used in the 16th century by an Italian poet Torquato Tasso. He used the name Armida as a character in his epic poem "Gerusalemme Liberata", meaning "Jerusalem Liberated".

Another website that I checked out says that Arminda is of latin origin, and means "the protector; little armed one"

This name is not one that I would ever consider using either. And I've never really heard of it before now. But I hope I helped you a little.

#3 Guest_Evy_*

Guest_Evy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:56 PM

I'm Spanish, and the only name I've heard that sounds like this is Armando. But that's a male name. I personally would not use it.

#4 Filly

Filly

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:49 AM

I went to school in Ft. Lauderdale and there was a Fashion Design student whose name was Arminda Lucia. Everyone called her Minda Lucia.....I thought it fit her, but it's not so pleasing to my eye or ear either. It is unique though. I also knew a girl named Milda (shudder), but I don't think she was Hispanic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users