• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Killing time at the library today I saw two new names in the name book I was flipping through: Jesen and Tariel. Jesen was listed as Scandanavian for Autumn and Tariel is Biblical being the angel of the day. However I can't find pronounciations for either so I'm going to assume that Jesen is pronounced like Jensen but without the 'n' and Tariel like Tara, minus the last a, and then the standard -iel ending, like in Nathaniel.

Opinions?

#2 AmyB

AmyB

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

Neither are my style...AT ALL...but I can see Tariel making a really nice middle name. Jacob Tariel, Evan Tariel, Zachary Tariel...and so on.

Unless both are supposed to be girls names, and then I can't picture them ever working! Tariel and Jesen are both very masculine sounding, too masculine for a girl in my opinion.

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

I would pron. Jesen (GEE sen) like the begining of Je/sus and the end of Jen/sen. I'm not a fan of the GEE sound. However, you could pron. it (JES in) like Jesse, of course I see that giving it more of a feminine sound.

As for Tariel, I would pron it like you described. It definitely brings to mind the meaning of the earth (terra, dirt, ground) sort of like the opposite of astral, except the real word would be terrestrial not tariel/terrial but that is what I think of when I see it.

#4 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Thanks guys!
Katie: I was thinking of pronouncing it like JES-in. I love the nn Jess but I don't love Jessica/Jesse due to a few unfortunate things a few years back. And I think that since one of the things was often called Jess it too is ruined. :(
I totally get what you mean be thinking terrestrial. Which leads me to the song Extraterrestrial which Martin will sing ten million times a day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users