8 replies to this topic

#1 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:18 PM

So...I'm not pregnant, but I have been thinking about names a lot lately, more than usual, and I thought I had decided on the names I would use for my first child. I have Brooklyn Jane if it's a girl and Aiden James if it's a boy.

I've recently read some articles (and seen some comments on those articles) that are focusing on all of the baby name trends and how horrible and irritating and disgusting they are. Many of those articles were about the Aiden names and how disgustingly popular they are and how the people who use those names are just mindless trend followers. And...I know not to take things personally, and usually I am very good at it, but this has just got me overthinking and analyzing the heck out of the names I like. And I don't know if it's in a good way.

See, I love Aiden. I think it's strong and handsome and I love the way it sounds and looks. I don't love it solely because it's trendy and "cool" or for the fact that there are a million other names that rhyme with it. I just like the freaking name! And these articles with very opinionated authors have got me thinking that I may have to rethink this name choice just because of the connotation. And I hate that. Just because it's a very popular name doesn't mean I should feel bad about liking it. :)

With Brooklyn, there is always the association with Brooklyn, New York, which isn't very, um, glamorous, but I don't care because that's not why I would be naming my daughter that. Once again, I just like the name. I like the way it sounds and looks.

*sigh*

I apologize if I sound whiney or anything it's just that this has been on my mind recently and its been really upsetting me. I know there are bigger problems in the world....but I just had to let it out and ask your opinion. Not necessarily on the names themselves, but more on my concern for the associations with Aiden and Brooklyn. What do you think when you hear them? Does that change given that you know me (sorta :) )?

Thanks so much for reading this. :)

~alyssa

P.S. In case anyone was wondering, Jane is after my grandmother, the one who recently passed away. I wanted to honor her for a long time, but even more now that she's gone. James is a family name, but it's also probably my all time favorite boy name. I just love it. :)

#2 Rosie&Scott

Rosie&Scott

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

I've read a few of the articles that have, in my opinion, slated all popular names of the moment. I think this is unkind and it seems to me that they want people to change their views to match theirs.
I read an article recently and also read the comments below. There was a comment from one lady who had named her daughter Annabelle which had been mentioned in the article as it ends in 'elle', it's prissy etc. The author of the article then seemed to retract what she'd said saying that Annabelle is a beautiful name, so it seemed to me that the woman was unable to stand by her word. It also showed me that it doesn't seem to be the individual names that are the "problem" but the bunch together. Which leads me to believe that if you name your son Aiden for example, you'll be judged for that alone and not the catergory it falls into.

It seems to me that these authors are just eyeing trends but not thinking about the impact of their words. They should realise that as these names are among the most popular in the names lists, then a lot of people will see their child's name on in the article.

Personally, I love the name Aiden. When I hear the name I don't think of the names it rhymes with, I just see Aiden. I think this is what people will see too. Aiden James is a great combo too!
I think that Brooklyn has now become a name in it's own right and is not associated with the place so much. Of course, I wouldn't suggest Brooklyn if you live in Brooklyn, but besides that, I think it's fine as a name. Brooklyn Jane is another great combo.

Another thing that I would say to you is that as you're not having children right now, try not to focus too much on what these people are saying as it could all change very quickly.

The beautiful thing about names is that it's not the name that defines the person; the person makes the name their own.
When we introduce the girls, I sometimes see people's initial reaction to Alexia, yet all we get are compliments, people get to know her as Lexy and she owns the name.

Don't let these people sway you!

Rosie x

#3 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

I usually don't find myself leaning toward trendy names, but that's just my taste. I think that everyone has their own naming style and that's great! Even though there are trendy and popular names, everyone has such different view and that's what makes such a wide variety of used names! Just because a name has a certain stereotype doesn't mean that you should or should not use it. You should use a name you love, regardless of the things other say about it. BUT I also think you need to understand how others will view it as well.

So basically, you need to find a good mix between listening to others--because lets face it, there are some names that really shouldn't be used, no matter how much you love it. But you should not feel inclined to not use a name soley based on what others say....

As for Aiden and Brooklyn:

I don't like either very much. I'm not very fond of Aiden at all. Brooklyn is okay, but I like just Brooke so much more.

But who cares if I like them or not. You do---and they are both beautiful names---yes, maybe a bit popular, but there is no reason that you shouldn't use them.

The only things you need to think about when using these names:
They are a bit trendy so A) your child might meet a lot of other children with his/her name---are you opposed to that? and B) people might "label" you as a trendy namer---but who really cares? Just tell them that you prefer different names than they do! Names would not be trendy if a lot of people didn't like them and use them, so I don't think you should really have a problem at all naming your kids Aiden and Brooklyn.

I hope that makes sense......

#4 Anna.

Anna.

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:59 PM

I can't say trendy or popular names are "my style" but there are some I like. I love Aiden but I strongly dislike all other names that rhyme with it. I think Aiden is a great, classic name and Aiden James sounds so good. I'm not crazy about Brooklyn, but you are! Brooklyn Jane sounds so sweet! Don't worry what other people think! If you love the name don't worry about their "classification".

Rose makes a good point...the only thing about currently popular names is that you do have to consider they may meet several other Aiden's or Brooklyn's. Other than that, I don't see a problem with it. You have your own naming style as does everyone else and that's the great thing!!

You have plenty of time to think about this and by then, those names may not be "popular" or "trendy" anymore!

#5 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

I wouldn't think trendy when you'd say you like the names, cause it's so true! I like some trendy/popular names, but only cause I like the name! Aiden James is super handsome, and Brooklyn Jane is absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully, in the years between now and when our generation starts having kids, those names may die down and other names may rise. I so hope so!!

But, I also agree with Rose :) Lol, I tend to agree with Rose! I agree with everyone, really. But GL! ~Haddie

#6 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:14 AM

Thank you all so much.

Rosie,
Everything you said has helped. :)
I especially loved where you said the author seemed to retract her comment and was unable to stand by her word.
I never thought of the fact that when I have kids it will be around ten years from now (hopefully!) so these names may not be as popular then.

Rose,
Thanks for reassuring me that everyone has their own taste and that it's a good thing!
I don't care when people don't like my style, I was just worried about being judged on the connotations with Aiden and Brooklyn.
But, you helped reassure me. :)

Anna,
I'm so happy you said I have plenty of time to think about this!
Chances are these names won't be popular (or as popular as they are now) in ten years!

Hayden,
Thanks for the reassurance!
I seemed to have forgotten that since the names are popular that means there are at least some people in the world who like them!
:)

Thanks again everyone.

~alyssa

#7 JENN2688

JENN2688

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:06 PM

Alyssa, I just think that if you love the name, what the heck does it matter, use it!
It will be your child and more than likely, the people who say something about you childs name, they probably will have children with names that were very "trendy" / "popular" at one time, so just throw that back at them!

I believe that names are in a continous pool and get thrown into liking every so often, so who cares if no one else likes the name!

I personally love the name Aiden .... Aidan Lucas is in the top 10 on my list!
I myself have only met 2 Aiden's in my entire life!

I say pish poss, use it if you love it!

#8 Guest_Zayda_*

Guest_Zayda_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:52 PM

I'm a bit late to the conversation, but here are my thoughts:

Apperantly all of my children have popular and trendy names. Evy - Noah - Isobel. However, I have never met another Evy or Noah, and I've only ever met 2 Isabel's/Isabellas.

I knew that when I named Isobel, her name was 'popular' and such. I did not care. I always loved the name Isabella (had to change it to Isobel because my hubby was dead set agaisnt Isabella 'like Isabella Swan') and I knew that I was going to use it.

All that being said, here are my opinions to the names you love:

Aiden James - I love James. Not a fan of Aiden because of the -den trend going on right now. ie: Caden, Aiden, Braden, etc... However, your combo is great, and together, I love it!

Brooklyn Jane - I love Jane. Its underused and a great name. Again, not a fan of Brooklyn because it does remind me of Brooklyn, New York. And there's usally about 2-4 Brooklyn's in my classes. However, I do like the combo together.

As for the names being popular right now, its going pass. Remember how in the 90's the trend was 'Jessica, Brittney, Alison'? You still have time to think and decide. I remember when I was your age -thanks for making me feel old, Alyssa- I was sure I was going to call my child 'Rubie Skye' because it sounded amazing. I matured a bit and decided agaisnt it. Instead poor Evy got stuck with a name that sounds more like a nickname than anything :)

#9 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

Jenn,
You're right. If I love it I shouldn't care what others think. Aiden James and Brooklyn Jane are officially top on my list again. :)

Zayda!,
You make me smile! Thanks so much for reassuring me on the names I love. You're right: It shouldn't matter if a name is popular right now because chances are in ten years they won't be nearly as popular!

And sorry for making you feel old!!! :)

:)

thanks again, everyone.

~alyssa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users