16 replies to this topic

#1 meg

meg

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:41 PM

Just wondering what people think of using two middle names. Lots of people seem to be against it. I personally like it and my girls have two middle names. That being said, feel free to give your honest opinion I won't be offended.

#2 bebeeg

bebeeg

Administrator

• Community Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

Just wondering what people think of using two middle names. Lots of people seem to be against it. I personally like it and my girls have two middle names. That being said, feel free to give your honest opinion I won't be offended.

I've never quite figured out the point. I believe a person with two middle names has to pick only one to use for legal forms. So that makes the others mostly for family use I guess. Which I guess could be special... if you have some sort of a secret middle name that no one knows but you and your mom and dad. I don't have anything against them, but I do not endorse the practice. I personally would not use two middle names. I do think that anything over two is excessive.

#3 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:55 PM

I've never quite figured out the point. I believe a person with two middle names has to pick only one to use for legal forms. So that makes the others mostly for family use I guess. Which I guess could be special... if you have some sort of a secret middle name that no one knows but you and your mom and dad. I don't have anything against them, but I do not endorse the practice. I personally would not use two middle names. I do think that anything over two is excessive.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

#4 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:29 AM

I agree with Peter, if you want to honour family or if there's a name you really love and can't let go of then it's fine, but otherwise it's just too much of a hassle when it comes to legal stuff. It's not something I would do except for one of the aforementioned reasons, but to each their own.

#5 Melissa

Melissa

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:My husband and I are very into basketball and soccer and our daughters are enjoying sports too. My oldest daughter does gymnastics, soccer, and dance and my youngest does soccer and dance, so those are my interests rights now. <br /><br />I also love kids and my job. My husband and I's jobs both involve children.

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:42 AM

One of my friends has a double middle name and she doesn't like it that much (other than the family ties). Her name is Elizabeth Alexandra Rose, and she goes by Liz, but still, I don't think her name fit on her birth certificate...and its' way to long. Plus, like said before, no one really knows the other middle name, and there's really not point to it.

#6 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:02 AM

My thoughts most similarly echo Kate’s: I think it’s absolutely, perfectly fine if you’re wanting to honor family or if there’s a name that you absolutely LOVE and can’t manage let go of. My mom has two middle names (Nicole Bethany Gail), and me and my cousin both almost had two: Emily Charity Helena and Adriana Gabriella Nicole, all of which were family names special to our parents. My godson's full name is Emmett Kyle James, with the Kyle being for the son she lost before she had him.

More than two is definitely overkill, though. And just using extra names to try to give off a sense of practical royalty or something is just idiotic. Otherwise, I think it's great.

#7 macchiatomom

macchiatomom

Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:29 AM

I don't personally like the idea or see much of a point to it (for me), but I can see how others might need to choose more than one middle name, especially if they're trying to honor more than one family member.

#8 Jennifer

Jennifer

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:I am a widow, I have 5 children, 3 at home still. Right now they keep me too busy to have my own interests or at least to give them much time. I do love taking pictures and changing backgrounds etc on the computer. I read when I get a chance.

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:58 AM

I seem to agree with the majority. I don't see anything wrong with it, but I do not really see a point to it.

#9 JENN2688

JENN2688

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

I agree somewhat, I have names that I like that have two middle names but the are hyphenated, this is the only case in which I would use a double middle name b/c it is more one name. The hyphenated name seems to be more one name than two. For instance:

Zoey Anna-Kate
Millicent Anna-Kate
Chloe Anna-Kate
Eleanor Mary-Anne
Ella Anne-Marei
Elinor Anna-KAte
Kyleigh Sara-Kate
Madelyn Anne-Marie

These are the only names for myself, would I use the double middle name.

#10 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:48 PM

i agree with many statements said here.
i partially am not a fan of it. some names, don't ge tme wrong, two names sound really nice. if it has family importance, it's even more beautiful, and if ones real popular, then it gives the name a different feel. hyphenated names or names that have two names persay in them i like like annabelle, anneliese, i do liike those for middle names but don't really consider them two middle names. i much prefer two first name combos, like the maribeths, sara lees, mary-kate, etc. etc. as others said, i have no problem with it, but i don't think it's something iw ould chooes to do for my children. with that being said, who knows, i can't tell the future and their are still a few years for children :)

#11 Tyler

Tyler

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:09 PM

I hate it! I think it's waaay excessive and almost primadonna-esque. I once knew a girl named Jessica Angelina Mary Kathleen Darnell. That's the way she introduced herself in third grade. It was god-awful.

#12 Alexis!

Alexis!

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Bones
    Mysteries
    Baking
    Photography
    Science
    Writing
    Reading

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:21 PM

I love two middle names myself. I plan to give my kids two.

Anything over two is totally over killing it. My best friends has 3 middle names, Ashton Noelle Lynn Marie. She HATES her name so she goes by simply Ashton Lynn.

My best friend plans to name her first daughter Spencer Isabella Brooke. Spencer cause shes in love with it, Isabella for our best friend Taylors love of Twilight and Brooke after my middle name cause of my impact in her life. I think it's pretty, unique and honoring.

#13 Jellybean

Jellybean

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:-Watching movies<br />-Reading (specially poetry)<br />-Writing<br />-Playing with my daughter<br />-Travelling<br />-Learning different languages

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:21 PM

I really don't like this idea.In Brazil we usually have a first name, mother's last name and then father's last name.Initially I didn't even like the idea of having a middle-name,but DH convinced me.

#14 ~Liz~

~Liz~

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:My top peeve is when people use offensive, sacrilegious names that are supposedly Native American but aren't, just to be cool. Please, ASK about the culture before you name your kid Dakota, Cheyenne, Nayeli, etc.

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

I think it's completely fine to have more than one middle name. Usually people don't do it just for the fun of it, there is usually some sort of a tradition that goes with it. For example, Hispanic cultures often add an extra middle name after a saint. Catholic families often add an extra middle during their child's confirmation ceremony. I think these traditions are very exciting. I do not participate in them myself, nor do I plan to give my children multiple middles, but I respect the traditions behind it.

Yes there are realistic obstacles to multiple middles, like no room on documents, etc. But usually people pick only one middle name to "go by", and the rest are just there. One of my closest friends is named Grace Katherine Angela. Angela was given to her during her confirmation. It's just a traditional name, for her heritage; she never refers to Angela. In fact, she goes by "GK" (not "GKA" :) ).

Like I said, I have no problems with multiple middles, and i think they are a nice part of culture.

#15 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

I don't see anything wrong with having two middle names but the names need to flow well together and each hold a special place in your heart just like I think a name with only one fn and mn should do. I know if I had a son right now I would give him the mn Lark-Alfred which is my grandfather's name. Even though people have suggested that I use only one or the other, to me it wouldn't make sense to do that because his name isn't just Lark, he goes by L.A. So, to me, it makes complete sense to honor him by using the full name as a mn.

I think that if you love the name and it means something to you it shouldn't matter.

#16 Dominique

Dominique

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:27 PM

I personally dont care for the idea, but I do understand it when people do it for family purposes. Sometimes you want to honor family members because they mean so much to you and using their names for middles names is the best option. My brother did that with his son. He named his Elijah Edward Sadus Boivin. Elijah because he loves the name, Edward after our uncle who just passed away after suffering from cystic fibrosis and Sadus from our mothers maiden name which is also his middle name. Then of course Boivin is the last name. I just feel bad for the kid because nobody will ever say his name properly because of the 2 last names are never pronounced correct lol. Ones polish (Sadus) and the others french (Boivin).

I dont plan on doing that because I think its too much and like someone else said, you only use one legally, plus I plan on hyphenating my kids lastnames for so to give them 2 middles names would just be cruel on my part lol. :)

#17 chloe88

chloe88

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:25 PM

i know 3 people with 2 middle names, and i think its cool.

Laura Lynn Rose
Megan Elizabeth Anne
and
Trinidi Elizabeth Marie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users