7 replies to this topic

#1 Truffle_Berry

Truffle_Berry

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

Hey everyone, just looking for some feedback. For the last 10+ years my absolute favourite name has always been Olivia. My husband loves it too (yay!). Unfortunately I've watched the name become more and more popular over the years. We're hoping to start our family soon and would love to use it but is its popularity a bad thing? (It's only become popular in my area the last couple years so the only other Olivias will be my daughter's age.)

I've recently discovered the name Evia but am off and on about how much I like it. It is the name of a Greek island and also a variant of Eve. We would pronounce it Ev-ee-ah (ev like Evan) with the nickname Evie. I like that she would be the only one with that name. I found a video online where a mother is talking to her little girl named Evia and it sounded so pretty hearing it from that perspective. What do you think of it? Any middle name suggestions for Evia or Olivia? In our families it's tradition to use 2 middle names. (some family name possibilities: Yvonne, Yvette, Jacqueline, Marie, Rose, Rosemarie, Michelle, Elaine, Marcelle, Jeannette, Stephanie, Renee, Raymonde, Henriette)

Thanks! :)

(I should add that we don't care for Eve, Eva, Evita or even Evelyn as alternatives to Evia)

#2 flying-person

flying-person

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Everything that isn't maths or geography ;)

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

When I first see Evia,I immediately think eee-vee-uh, instead of ehv-ee-ah so you do run the possibility of your daughter's name being mispronounced if you choose that name. Despite that setback, I think it's really elegant and it will age well.

You could also consider more common alternatives to Olivia like Olive, or the nicknames Livy or Ollie. I knew a girl who just went by Liv, and never introduced herself as Olivia. Or, you could choose a different name for your girl and decide to name your boy Oliver, as a tribute to your favourite name. Oliver isn't as common as Olivia these days.

In all, both names are equally pretty, so ultimately you just have to ask yourself: do you want your daughter to have a unique name, or a name that is becoming common but is your favourite?

For middle names:

Olivia Rose Marie
Olivia Elaine Henriette
Olivia Michelle Renee
Olivia Marie Yvette

Evia Marcelle Stephanie
Evia Renee Jeannette
Evia Henriette Olivia
Evia Marie Raymonde

Hope it helped :)

#3 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

What about using Olivia as one of the middle names?

In saying that, though, I don't think you should worry too much about popularity. If you like Olivia, I think you should use it.

I instantly read it as Eee-vee-uh too. It's a really pretty name, but if you're not sure about it, then I suggest not using it.

#4 Madi Wolf Princess <3

Madi Wolf Princess <3

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Interests:Marilyn Manson, Five Finger Death Punch, being a creepy cute princess, being a wolf puppy, Harry Potter, Ravenclaw, Supernatural, Dean Winchester, the fall season, Halloween, sparkly things, the moon, the stars... The whole galaxy, the element air, learning of different religions/cultures, especially the more unconventional ones.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

I love it! I did not have the pronunciation problem. I said it as Ev-ee-ah. Evia is a great alternative to Olivia although I don't think popularity should be a problem. If you love the name Olivia, go for it! :-)

#5 CLA

CLA

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Evia is beautiful, and I love Olivia too...

#6 Truffle_Berry

Truffle_Berry

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback! Glad to know Olivia hasn't been used to a point that everyone hates it.

I've done random internet searches for the name Evia and many weren't fans. Several said it looked like a made up Eve name. I think it's influenced how I feel about its usability/appeal. I like a lot of different names but am not the bravest namer. Thanks again!

#7 CLA

CLA

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:40 AM

That's too bad. But you got to follow your heart.

#8 asjonesdpt

asjonesdpt

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

I like Olive as an alternative to Olivia. It's a family name for me but my husband won't go for it. Think it would be good for our second with our first as Violet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users