• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Scott&Ashlynn

Scott&Ashlynn

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

Hello; My name's Ashlynn and my fiancés name is Scott. We're currently expecting our first baby- A little boy! We're very excited but naming the little bugger has turned out to be so much harder than we first anticipated! Not because WE can't decide in a name.. Because we have! Our families on the other hand.. That's a whole 'nother ball game.

We've decided to name our little one Leland- A name we both fell in love with. Leland Michael-Scott D___, to be in fact. (:

Michael; After my father.
Scott; Obviously after my fiancé.

Now I've come to realize A LOT of people dislike double/hyphenated names.. But that's non-negotiable. My fiancé has a hyphenated middle name as well [Scott Parker-Alan D.] and that's something we decided to keep going with our child as well!

Both Scott and I's parents hate the name Leland and have been very, um, "helpful" with their MANY name suggestions.
My parents think William Michael or William Scott would be just perfect. As to honor my grandfather. And drop the double middle name in the process.
Scott's mother loves the hyphenated middle name but thinks our little man would be better suited as an 'Aiden'.
And my father in law thinks we should name him 'Jackson'. [After Fort Jackson, Where Scott shipped for BCT.]

So our question for you guys is do you really think Leland is that bad? That awful of a name, I mean? Asking you guys because we browsed around the site and everyone here seems to be very good with names! Do you think we should take one of our parents' suggestions and change it? If yes, which name?

This baby naming thing is turning out to be do much harder than we thought. :/

Thanks in advance,
Ashlynn&Scott<3

#2 ElizabethRuth

ElizabethRuth

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

My baby cousins name is Leland and to be honest I've never liked it and it hasn't really grown on me even though hes four now. That being said its not a horrible name just not appealing to me. I dont mind the hyphenated middle name. I like William a lot better than Leland but it is your child so obviously name him whatever you like.

Just do what my aunt did. Stop discussing the name and when he is first born say here is your grandson Leland. Can't argue once he is here and named.

By the way I really like Michael-Scott, it sounds nice even though it reminds me of that guy on the office. :)

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

I think Leland Michael-Scott is a great name. I'm also expecting my first child and we decided to go with a double middle name for a boy (something that not many of our family members were fond of, but like you both names have significant meaning).

Our second choice for a first name for a boy was also met with a lot of criticism. Theodore nn Teddy. My mom even went so far as to say "Do you want me to hate my own grandson?" We eventually decided on another first name for a boy but it was because me and the father both liked the other choice better and not because our families didn't like it. Theodore nn Teddy is still on my list in the event we have a second son.

In the end, go with a name you and your fiance love.

#4 PaigeA

PaigeA

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

I like the name Leland! This is the first time I've heard it, I think it's sweet. My girls have two middle names, I much prefer two to just one especially if both have some sort of significance :) When I had my first and we announced her name would be Athena my grandparents on my mother's side hated it, but my grandparents on my father's side liked it. Jai and I's parents both hated it. We were given many other suggestions starting with A like Amy, Annabelle, Ava, Audrey, Alana etc. But I stuck with my choice of Athena because I have always adored the name and I'm very glad I didn't cave and chose one of their suggestions. Now it seems to of grown on everyone and people tell me what a lovely name she has :) Everyone also calls her Tilly as a nn, though it's quite a stretch, it was to honor my great grandmother whose nn was Tilly too. Go with what you and your fiance love, it's your child after all! You don't want to regret not naming him Leland later on. Good luck

#5 Puppylover12397

Puppylover12397

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

While Leland is not a name I might use myself, it is a perfectly fine name. In the end he is your child and you should choose the name you want as long as it isn't something ridiculous. Leland is not ridiculous and actually works very well with your middle name choice and so I say go with it.

#6 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

I think Leland is a handsome name. It's not my taste, but I still think it's nice. I'd like to meet a little boy with that name :)

You have to remember this is YOUR baby and not your family members' baby. Go with what you like.

My only problem with Leland Michael-Scott would be the fact that the main character on the TV show "The Office" is named Michael Scott, as is a famous Irish author. I think that makes the name a little odd. Have you thought of using derivatives of either name? How about Leland Micah-Scott? That would be really handsome!

or Leland Mitchell-Scott? Mitchell is a nice derivative of Michael.

#7 Kaysee712

Kaysee712

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

Leland is 100x better than Jackson and Aiden. Those names are SO popular right now, so if you want your son to have 2-3 other boys in his class with the same name then I'd go with Aiden or Jackson.

#8 Scott&Ashlynn

Scott&Ashlynn

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:21 AM

Thank you everyone!(:
We really appreciate your suggestions, comments!

We've decided to stick with our main choice Mr. Leland Michael-Scott. We're hoping it will just grow on our families. Because we honestly cannot imagine our little one being named something other than Leland. It suits our little man so perfectly while also honoring both my father and his. (:
  • PaigeA likes this

#9 Truffle_Berry

Truffle_Berry

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

I like the name you and the fiancé picked for your son! Leland is really cute and will age just fine. It's too bad that your families are giving you a hard time and not respecting your choice but I'm glad you're choosing to stick to your guns! Aiden (and all rhyming names) are ultra popular right now and Jackson is pretty popular too. Leland is a much more refreshing choice and fits in with the other Irish/Gaelic names like Lauchlan/Loughlin, Logan, Ronin. Your fiancés' parents obviously like the name Scott or wouldn't have chosen it for their own son and with the other half of the middle name after your father, you've already done quite a bit to honour family. With any luck, they'll come around. Good luck and congrats!

#10 titi712

titi712

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

I like Leland Michael Scott even tho I'm not so fond of the double middle names.
  • Jennjenn likes this

#11 Erin91

Erin91

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Church, music, the show Ghost Hunters, internet, and baby names

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

Leland Michael-Scott is a fabulous name! The fact that it means so much to you both makes it even better. So glad you guys stuck to your guns and decided to go with it! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users