10 replies to this topic

#1 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

So, I've had a huge crush on this name lately, but I'm really not sure how I want to spell it. I'll list my thoughts on each and you guys let me know what you think.

Ciaran

This is the original Irish spelling of the name, which I really like. It looks a bit tricky to pronounce, though, but it's not that bad.

Kieran

This is by far the most common of the three, which I see as a downside. Something about this spelling always bothered me even though I really like this name. I'm not a fan of the "ie" in it for some reason.

Keeran

This is how I always used to spell it, because it looks like it's pronounced and it's only a bit different from the ever-growing-in-popularity Kieran.

Also, what are you guys thinking for middle names? I'm tossing around Chase, Theodore, Alexander, and Thomas, but I'm not making any sure decisions until I decide how I want to spell it. This is currently my favorite boy name (or, one of several ;)) so I really need to figure out my opinion on this one.

Thanks for the help!

#2 ElizabethRuth

ElizabethRuth

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

I LOVE this name! I like the spelling Ciaran. I think Ciaran Thomas is very handsome :wub:

#3 PaigeA

PaigeA

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

I like the spelling Kieran because all the Kierans I know spell it that way :) I like Kieran Theodore or Kieran Chase <3 Lovely name!

#4 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the opinions ^_^ Yeah, I'm starting to lean heavily towards the traditional spelling. Ciaran Thomas & Ciaran Alexander are probably my favorites right now, and I like how Chase sounds with it but I'm not a fan of the CC initials.

#5 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

I like Kieran the best. It's not a popular name, so I don't think it's a big deal to go with the most popular spelling.

Ciaran is nice, but I think you'd have people mispronouncing it ALL THE TIME. I know about 5 Ciara's who pronnounce it like Sea-air-uh, so first looking at that name, I read it Sea-air-uhn

#6 const3llati0ns

const3llati0ns

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

My name is constantly mis-pronounced as this name!

#7 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

I like Kieran or Ciaran. I prefer Ciaran only because I prefer traditional spellings, but Kieran feels pretty traditional now adays as well (almost like the difference in Katherine and Catherine). I personally prefer to use the more popular spelling though, because otherwise he'd have to correct people on spelling "just to be more original" which is sometimes a pain <3

I think the middle names are all wicked handsome! <3 Honestly, Chase, Theodore, Alexander, and Thomas have all been off and on my list. All so handsome!! <3 And I think they'd all flow very well with the first name chosen <3 I kinda like Kieran Thomas best for some reason, not sure why :)

#8 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the input ;) Yeah, I don't mind Kieran that much but I'm a fan of traditional spellings as well, which might be what is leaning me toward Ciaran. But, like you guys said, it would be a bit irritating to constantly correct people, but I don't think it would be too much trouble once people heard it right a couple times. I have a friend named Lillya whose name is constantly being pronounced wrong (her last name is also difficult to pronounce, because she's Ukrainian) but people get it right after a little while, and she doesn't seem to mind. I feel like Kieran has a bit more of a "trendy" feel to it whereas Ciaran automatically brings "Irish" to mind, which might also be a reason for me preferring it.

#9 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for the input ;) Yeah, I don't mind Kieran that much but I'm a fan of traditional spellings as well, which might be what is leaning me toward Ciaran. But, like you guys said, it would be a bit irritating to constantly correct people, but I don't think it would be too much trouble once people heard it right a couple times. I have a friend named Lillya whose name is constantly being pronounced wrong (her last name is also difficult to pronounce, because she's Ukrainian) but people get it right after a little while, and she doesn't seem to mind. I feel like Kieran has a bit more of a "trendy" feel to it whereas Ciaran automatically brings "Irish" to mind, which might also be a reason for me preferring it.

Very true, if you say it to someone once or twice normally they catch on. And you'll really only be correcting places like schools and workplaces and all once. I entirely agree on Ciarans Irish feel - I happen to love Irish names :) So Ciaran is my personal favorite. Kieran is almost trendy I think. Sad <3

#10 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

I like Kieran. I'm a fan of traditional spellings, so it's appealing to me :)

#11 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

I prefer Ciaran. What about Ciaran Thaddeus, it's an alternative to Theodore and I think it's super handsome. Ciaran Thomas is also super cute.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users