24 replies to this topic

#1 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:47 PM

So, Ive been thinking about what I would name my first daughter. And I really want to honor my dog Brandy. I really miss her and she was a big part of my life, I know some people won't get it.. But its my life and its what I want to do.
Now, I know Brandy is not really a.. good name for a person anymore. But I really love it.
I used to want to name her Elizabeth Brandy, that way I could honor my family and Brandy.. But (as much as I still love this) I was sitting in math class today (not doing my math as usual) and I was like .. "What about Brandy Elizabeth?" And I don't know.. I really liked it. Now, I'm really weird and I usually say Brandy really fast so it turns into "Branny" (I don't mean to, but I talk super duper fast like all the time). So I was thinking of potential nicknames and thought of
Bella..
Now, I'm not going to lie and say I am not a huge fan of Twilight (the books, I hate the movie [Twilight]). But I don't want to be like one of those mothers who name there daughter after Bella in the book. (My mom works with a man who's daughter named her daughter Isabella Marie.. :D )
So, I think she might be one of eight billion girls named Bella by the time I actually have her. But then, she won't be one of the millions of Isabella's in her class and I like that.
I really like the meaning of Bella and how it sounds.

So, the name I've been thinking of lately is ..
Brandy Elizabeth Cadhla I really like this name. Brandy honors my dog Brandy. Elizabeth is a family name (Shannon Elizabeth, and both my grandma's have Elizabeth as their middle name) And Cadhla is pronouced Kyla, its after my best best best best friend ever Kyla. And its Irish (I'm like SUPER close to being full Irish)

Soo... What do you think?

Brandy Elizabeth Cadhla = Bella

(Sorry for the long post)

#2 Wildflowerchild

Wildflowerchild

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 765 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:33 PM

DO IT!

It's really unique. And the meaning of the name makes it more unique! I love how you took the letters from all the names and made "Bella." I understand the attachment you have to your dog. I grew up super attached to my animals. And I have some cousins that were named after a few animals we have on our farm, so I totally understand where you're coming from. And yes, "Isabella" is a really popular name as it is.

And if you're open to suggestions;
If you were thinking of other ways to honor your dog, you could perhaps try a different spelling (i.e. Brandi/Brandie)?
I also used to know a girl named Brandilyn that went by Brandi.

Either way, your choice of names is creative and very cool. I really like it!

#3 Amsel

Amsel

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:33 PM

I like the spelling Brandy rather than Brandi or Brandie (I think both look kinda trashy.) That being said, I don't think the name Brandy is trashy, and I think Brandy Elizabeth is pretty. I totally get wanting to honor your doggy :D My dog is named Fozzie, so I don't think he will ever get the same memorial haha.

#4 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

DO IT!

It's really unique. And the meaning of the name makes it more unique! I love how you took the letters from all the names and made "Bella." I understand the attachment you have to your dog. I grew up super attached to my animals. And I have some cousins that were named after a few animals we have on our farm, so I totally understand where you're coming from. And yes, "Isabella" is a really popular name as it is.

And if you're open to suggestions;
If you were thinking of other ways to honor your dog, you could perhaps try a different spelling (i.e. Brandi/Brandie)?
I also used to know a girl named Brandilyn that went by Brandi.

Either way, your choice of names is creative and very cool. I really like it!

Thanks. :D

I've been thinking about it alot and I really want to do it (when I have kids).

I really just like Brandy. Brandi seems kind of.. not the same.
I don't know. It seems like a whole different name to me.. :D
But thanks for the suggestions! <3

Thanks! :)

#5 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

I like the spelling Brandy rather than Brandi or Brandie (I think both look kinda trashy.) That being said, I don't think the name Brandy is trashy, and I think Brandy Elizabeth is pretty. I totally get wanting to honor your doggy :D My dog is named Fozzie, so I don't think he will ever get the same memorial haha.

Aww, THanks. :) I'm glad some people don't think Brandy is trashy. A lot of people seem to think its "stripper-esque" but I don't see it.. I think its just a pretty name with great meaning.

Do you like Brandy Elizabeth Cadhla too? Or just Brandy Elizabeth?

#6 Amsel

Amsel

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

Aww, THanks. :D I'm glad some people don't think Brandy is trashy. A lot of people seem to think its "stripper-esque" but I don't see it.. I think its just a pretty name with great meaning.

Do you like Brandy Elizabeth Cadhla too? Or just Brandy Elizabeth?

I like Brandy Elizabeth Cadhla and just Brandy Elizabeth. Both are pretty.

#7 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:42 PM

I like Brandy Elizabeth Cadhla and just Brandy Elizabeth. Both are pretty.

Okay, :D Thank you!!!!

#8 Untitled

Untitled

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:00 AM

I do find it rather strange to name your child after a dog. If I were going to do that, I think I would use Brandy as a middle name. I like Elizabeth so I think Elizabeth Brandy sounds a lot better than Brandy Elizabeth.

If you don't particularly like the fact that, using the name Bella, people would think of Twilight, and that it would be so popular, then I wouldn't use it. If you used Elizabeth as the first name, there are loads of more original nicknames you could use such as Betsy, Bessie, Bess, Libby, Lizzy, Liza or Beth.

Cadhla is OK, but I think a lot of people would have trouble pronouncing it (and it would get spelled Kyla all the time) However, it is only her second middle name, so it probably won't be much of a problem.

#9 Amsel

Amsel

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:25 AM

I do find it rather strange to name your child after a dog. If I were going to do that, I think I would use Brandy as a middle name. I like Elizabeth so I think Elizabeth Brandy sounds a lot better than Brandy Elizabeth.

Cadhla is OK, but I think a lot of people would have trouble pronouncing it (and it would get spelled Kyla all the time) However, it is only her second middle name, so it probably won't be much of a problem.

It's not that weird. People name their children some pretty strange stuff. I think Brandy is pretty tame.

As someone who has an oddly spelled name, I think Cadhla is okay. It's a middle name, anyway.

#10 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

If you don't particularly like the fact that, using the name Bella, people would think of Twilight, and that it would be so popular, then I wouldn't use it. If you used Elizabeth as the first name, there are loads of more original nicknames you could use such as Betsy, Bessie, Bess, Libby, Lizzy, Liza or Beth.

Oh..

If I did use Elizabeth I'd use Libby.

Its more to honor my friend then anything else so I don't have an issue with it being spelled Kyla.

#11 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:57 PM

It's not that weird. People name their children some pretty strange stuff. I think Brandy is pretty tame.

As someone who has an oddly spelled name, I think Cadhla is okay. It's a middle name, anyway.

Thanks!
:D

Your name is pronounces Seer-Sha right?

#12 Amsel

Amsel

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:51 AM

Thanks!
:D

Your name is pronounces Seer-Sha right?

Yes, I say seer-sha. Some say sair-sha. I have an older sister named Seonaid (sho-nah).

#13 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:21 AM

Bella is a cute nick name! :D

It's kinda cute to name a kid after a well loved dog <3 I never had a dog :/ but, I do have a cat! I got him when I was ten, and he's the best cat ever! :D though... His name his Cuddlebug... Haha! I call him CuddleBoo a lot, and I am thinking I'll have a kiddo named whatever then use Boo as a nick name, cause it's kinda really cute <3

Brandy Elizabeth Cadhla is cute! I'm not personally fond of Brandy, but if you like it <3

One kinda cool idea would be to make her initials BEL or something, then Bela would make a little more sense! Cause the other way would be a stretch, and no one else would really see the connection so well without a long explanation haha! So maybe if you named her Brandy Elizabeth Leila, Brandy Elizabeth Louise, or maybe Brandy Elizabeth Lark you could have the initials work out as Bel, in which is an easy transition into Bella :) maybe you'll get lucky and marry someone who's last name starts with an A! :D

I hope this helps! <3

#14 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

I do find it rather strange to name your child after a dog. .

LOL...I'm sure most people would but that's sort of what my sister Maddie did. We had a doxy named Lucy (registered Lucy Goosey, we called her Lulu or THE GOO :D ) that we inherited from my mom's boyfriend's father when he passed away. She was pretty old when we got her (~9years) and she was the sweetest/smartest dog and really became one of the family. She went practically everywhere with us and loved to go for car rides. She died when she was ~13 years old and my mom took it really hard, so we got another doxy right away, a male we named Boogie (his registered name is Samuel Louis after Lucy).

Anyway when Maddie found out she was having a girl, she said there was really only one girl name that she ever really liked and could picture herself using...Lucy! She changed the spelling to Luci because she liked the way it looked but basically our little Luci Rose is named after the family dog :)

So to get to the point and answer your question, I can understand somewhat wanting to remember your dog in your daughters name...Brady Elizabeth Cadhla is sounds nice and the nn Bella isn't such a stretch...If you LOVE it go for it!

#15 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

Yes, I say seer-sha. Some say sair-sha. I have an older sister named Seonaid (sho-nah).

Thats cool. :D

#16 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:43 PM

Bella is a cute nick name! :D

It's kinda cute to name a kid after a well loved dog <3 I never had a dog :/ but, I do have a cat! I got him when I was ten, and he's the best cat ever! :D though... His name his Cuddlebug... Haha! I call him CuddleBoo a lot, and I am thinking I'll have a kiddo named whatever then use Boo as a nick name, cause it's kinda really cute <3

Brandy Elizabeth Cadhla is cute! I'm not personally fond of Brandy, but if you like it <3

One kinda cool idea would be to make her initials BEL or something, then Bela would make a little more sense! Cause the other way would be a stretch, and no one else would really see the connection so well without a long explanation haha! So maybe if you named her Brandy Elizabeth Leila, Brandy Elizabeth Louise, or maybe Brandy Elizabeth Lark you could have the initials work out as Bel, in which is an easy transition into Bella :) maybe you'll get lucky and marry someone who's last name starts with an A! :D

I hope this helps! <3

Thanks! :D

Thats actually a REALLY good idea!!! <3
Thanks a lot!!! <3

#17 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

LOL...I'm sure most people would but that's sort of what my sister Maddie did. We had a doxy named Lucy (registered Lucy Goosey, we called her Lulu or THE GOO :D ) that we inherited from my mom's boyfriend's father when he passed away. She was pretty old when we got her (~9years) and she was the sweetest/smartest dog and really became one of the family. She went practically everywhere with us and loved to go for car rides. She died when she was ~13 years old and my mom took it really hard, so we got another doxy right away, a male we named Boogie (his registered name is Samuel Louis after Lucy).

Anyway when Maddie found out she was having a girl, she said there was really only one girl name that she ever really liked and could picture herself using...Lucy! She changed the spelling to Luci because she liked the way it looked but basically our little Luci Rose is named after the family dog :)

So to get to the point and answer your question, I can understand somewhat wanting to remember your dog in your daughters name...Brady Elizabeth Cadhla is sounds nice and the nn Bella isn't such a stretch...If you LOVE it go for it!

Thats cool!
I really like the way Luci is spelled, its so pretty. <3

THANK-YOU!!!!!

#18 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:48 AM

Your welcome :D would you like some L name suggestions? :D

I'm glad I helped! :)

#19 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:43 PM

Your welcome :D would you like some L name suggestions? :D

I'm glad I helped! :)

Oh! Yes please! :D If you don't mind at all?

I like Louise, its pretty. :D

#20 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:10 AM

I'd love to! :D

Louise is pretty, and I really like it with Brandy Elizabeth actually! :)

Brandy Elizabeth Lacey
Brandy Elizabeth Lainey
Brandy Elizabeth Lara
Brandy Elizabeth Lauren
Brandy Elizabeth Leah
Brandy Elizabeth Leanne
Brandy Elizabeth Lenka
Brandy Elizabeth Lenore
Brandy Elizabeth Lexy
Brandy Elizabeth Liberty
Brandy Elizabeth Liesel
Brandy Elizabeth Lila
Brandy Elizabeth Lilianna
Brandy Elizabeth Lindsey
Brandy Elizabeth Lynette
Brandy Elizabeth Lisa
Brandy Elizabeth Lissa
Brandy Elizabeth Lorelei
Brandy Elizabeth Lucia
Brandy Elizabeth Lucy
Brandy Elizabeth Lydia
Brandy Elizabeth Lyra

Haha, raided my name book! :D If you want more... I'll need another name book :'D I picked the good ones out.. Cause I don't particularly like names like Laasya, but if you do... I can always add some :D

~ Haddie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users