• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Barbie

Barbie

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, sign language, riding horses, volunteering, working with children, and teaching martial arts!

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:28 PM

I have three new boy names I've been tossing about my brain for a bit now. I would appreciate opinions on these!

Hawthorne--love the nn Hawk but also like for a mn possibility. So cool & literary. (Crushing on combo: Hawthorne Wilde--thoughts?)

Townley--my mom already said in a casual convo she's not a fan, but that doesn't really bother me. I heard it and thought it was cute and like that it's uncommon. First or middle?

Steele--the first name of a diver in the Olympics that stuck out to me. I find it cool and unique for a fn or mn.

Thanks ladies!!!

#2 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:13 AM

Hawthorne

I love this! It is cool, unique, AND sophisticated--  a rare combo. I don't like Hawthorne Wilde because they are both words, and Hawthorne is a plant so it sounds like a plant that has grown out of control and has become a pest. I would stick with a non-word name to pair with both Wilde and Hawthorne.

Townley

It is nice, especially as a middle. I would assume it had some sort of family significance, but even if not it is still cool. 

Steele

I definitely think of the diver, but that's a good connotation for me. I think the name is super cool as an mn. Makes me think of a superhero or something.

• Barbie likes this

#3 Riley_Jane

Riley_Jane

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Singing, Acting, Dancing, Writing, Names, Event Planning, Hiking, Fitness, Cooking, Baking, and Exploring new things!

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:37 AM

Hawthorne

Love it! Very masculine and not likely to be swiped by parents of girls. I think of Nathaniel Hawthorne, author of The Scarlet Letter and Young Goodman Brown. I’m an English education major though so it probably will not occur to everyone. Not a bad association though!

Townley

I’m not very into this one. I like Townsend, which I think would pair nicely with Hawthorne for siblings if you were to keep a surname name theme going.

Steele

I’m kind of in the middle on this one. If I were to ever use it I would only consider it for a middle name. However, If I met a Steele, I would think his name was pretty cool.

• Barbie likes this

#4 Marvelous_Things

Marvelous_Things

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 6,670 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, psychology, history, literature, anime, cosplay, and names.

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:15 AM

Hawthorne- This is a really cool sounding name with great literary associations. Hawthorne Wilde is a pretty cool combo.

Townley- I'm not as crazy about this one, especially for a first name. It could make an okay middle name, especially if it had some special significance for you.

Steele- I agree that this is a really cool name. Depending on what you pair it with, it could work as a first name or middle name.

• Barbie likes this

#5 maisieblue17

maisieblue17

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dance, and names!

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:03 PM

Hawthorne

I'm not honestly very big on this name. I find it interesting and I like the literary connection, but I just can't actually picture it on an actual kid.

Townley

Not my style, personally, but I would be intrigued to meet a little Townley! 

Steele

I've been looking at this too! Mostly as a middle name, but I think it's exceptionally awesome. Really cool name, definitely my favorite of the three.

• Barbie likes this

#6 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:27 AM

Hawthorne - I think it would make an awesome middle name, but I'm not sure I'd use it as a first name. The nicknames Hawk or Thor would so be cool.

Townley - Not a fan to be honest, it's just not really my style.

Steele - It doesn't sound like a name to me, or if I try to picture it on a person it just brings to mind a big muscly man with a beard.

• Barbie likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users