• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BellaBoo

BellaBoo

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:The Boston Bruins. Harry Potter. My best friends. Country Music. London. Baby Names :)

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:34 PM

Hey everyone!

So my boyfriend and I were talking about baby names (just because I'm obsessed... not because we're planning anything) and according to him, my taste in boys names is... "wimpy" to put it nicely. I guess the boys names that I like don't sound strong and manly enough to him. I think he just has a complex cause his name doesn't exactly have a masculine connotation.

So here's my question to you:

In your expert and honest opinion, what are the most masculine boys names?? And why??

Thanks so much!

-Dani

#2 namewizard21

namewizard21

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, singing, drawing, cooking, kids, animals, TV/movies/actors, fashion.

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:12 PM

Ah, a manly-man. Every woman secretly wants one, but usaully won't admit to it... :)
You have James, Phillip and Robert.
Hm. While not the least bit feminine, they don't exactly give you the picture of a big strong man, so he may be partially right.
But we can fix that.
Names are usually made "manly" by whom you associate them with. Take "Hugh", for instance. I always thought it sounded like a sissy name, but after watching "House's" Hough Laurie and esp. Hugh Jackman of "X-Men", I now think "Manly" when I hear it.
So, I would suggest you try names of men (or,if they're actors, of any characters they've played), that the public considers "manly".
"Jack" is probably one of the most manly names of our time. There are SO many movies revolving around a manly dude named Jack it's almost not even funny, ("Jack Bauer","Jack Ryan", etc.). Can be short for John or Jacob, or just Jack.
Brad, Richard, Logan, Rocky, and Tony are some other good ones, and I'm sure if you try, you could think of some more. Of course, I'd be glad to dig around for more if you'd like.

#3 Anna.

Anna.

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:56 PM

Names that are quite "manly" in my opinon:

Gavin
Grant
Graham
Mitchell
Eric
Brian/Bryon
Adam
Thomas
Mason
Brent/Brett
Moses
Trevor
Greg
Timothy/Tim
Luke

I'm not sure why I think they are manly...they just are. They havn't been transformed into "unisex" names like Devon, Mackenzie, Peyton, & Avery have and have remained strictly "male" names.

#4 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

William
James
Eric
Caleb
Mike (not Michael)
Alexander and Alex
Damien
Dallas

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

~alyssa

#5 Lilah

Lilah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

Some names from my list that I think are strong and manly:

Andrew (not Andy)
Benjamin
Colton