• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

Could you answer any (or all) of these questions? Any help is appreciated!! 

1. Vincent - what do you guys think? I can't decide if I want to go first or middle name. The name honors my grandfather. The only iffy part of it being a first name is the nick name options.. I kind of like Vinny, definitely not just Vince. 

2. Cedric - I'm loving as it would honor both my grandfather and my father through "rick" without being Richard. There are a ton of Richard's in my family. I think I'd use this only as a middle name, I don't like any of the nick name options. Plus it'd be a theme, Archer's first middle name starts with a C and this one could too. 

3. Crosby - It's really growing on me but I'd love opinions to push me either way :) Archer and Crosby sound really nice together, I think? I like that it isn't too popular, #614 on the SSA charts for 2014. Crosby Everett and Crosby Vincent both came to mind. 

4. Helen - does this name sound middle aged or old fashioned? I had originally thought it was on the older side but when I asked Mike his thoughts he said he knew a ton of people our moms ages with the name which takes away some of the appeal to me :( I've been watching a ton of Martha Speaks with Archer and Martha's owner is a 10 year old named Helen (Martha's a dog :P ). 

5. Phillipa / Philippa - I've seen it both ways.. which is it? Also, is it pronounced like Philip with an ah at the end, or like fih-LEAP-ah? Or other? I always pictured it the second way until recently :o I'm also iffy on nick names too. Pippa looks so cute but it doesn't flow off my tongue so well, maybe it's just my accent. Philly is definitely a no. Maybe Lil, I guess. 

6. Elodie nn "Lola" - I know I love Elodie, Lola has been growing on me. I don't know if I like Lola alone though. There aren't a lot of full name options though. Dolores is pretty but lately it doesn't feel like one I'd use in real life. I like the nick names Elle or Ellie but with Ella/ Ellie/ etc being so popular I'd rather not. A combo I considered is Elodie Scout but unsure. 

7. Freya - I'm always on the fence with this one. I kind of like it kind of don't. Sway me?  :rolleyes:

8. Mabel Riley - it's the name Mike and I are 100% sure would be our kids name if we had a girl. And our plan is we'd call her Mabel Riley all the time, not just Mabel. But I was watching Arrested Development and there's a character named Maeby and now I'm curious.. would Maeby work as a nick name? Even if we mostly call her Mabel Riley, nick names are a big thing to me. Otherwise I'm guessing we'd occasionally call her Mae. 

#2 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:57 PM

1. Vincent - I quite like Vincent, though I wouldn't use it myself. I don't like Vince, but for some reason I absolutely love Vin. I like Vinny while he's little. I think I prefer Vincent in the middle name spot, though. It sounds more regal there? Jasper Vincent, Carter Vincent, and Theo Vincent came to mind. 

2. Cedric - Never like Cedric, don't really have a reason other than I just don't. Oddly, it conjures up a demonic/sorcery image in my mind. 

3. Crosby - I love this!! Crosby is wildly handsome, especially with Archer. I like both of the combos you mentioned.

4. Helen - Helen is lovely. It sounds like a very "smart" name if that makes sense. I do prefer Helena (Huh-lay-nuh or even the Hell-ehn-uh prn) but I like just Helen, too. I don't think it sounds too old lady, I think it is ready to be used again alongside Hazel, Charlotte, and Beatrice. 

5. Philippa - [this is the proper spelling, I believe. it is how the royals spell it, ;)] I say fih-LEAP-uh. I don't mind Pippa and Lil is cute (Archie and Lil / Archie and Pippa would be sweet), but Philippa isn't for me. It sounds very middle-aged Hispanic to me.

6. Elodie "Lola" - Lola has been growing on me lately, but I, too, prefer it as a nickname. Also, I've been liking Lula lately instead. Elodie Scout is so lovely!

7. Freya - I adore Freya. She is nice and Scandinavian without being too much to handle. It is of course on my list. I like how soft she sounds, but with a bit of strength as well.

8. Mabel Riley - I absolutely love this, esp as a double name. Maeby/Mabey is the perfect nickname, and I'm sure you'd still call her Mae sometimes, too.

#3 Marvelous_Things

Marvelous_Things

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 6,668 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, psychology, history, literature, anime, cosplay, and names.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

1. Vincent - I like Vincent with no nicknames. If you're iffy because of the whole nickname thing, I'd suggest using it as a middle name.

2. Cedric - I love this name, and it's been growing on me a lot recently. Again, I see no reason to shorten it, it's a good name on it's own. 

3. Crosby - I'm not too crazy about it, but I do agree that Archer and Crosby make a good sibset. I like the combo Crosby Vincent, especially considering it allows you to use two of your favorite names.

4. Helen - I've always liked Helen, even when I was younger and it seemed more like an "old lady name." But I don't think that's the case anymore. I worked at an elementary school and there were two or three girls named Helen in kindergarten. It's definitely coming back around as a new name.  

5. Phillipa / Philippa - I've heard it pronounced both ways, so I guess both are correct. I prefer it pronounced like Phillip with an A on the end. As far as nicknames go, I like Pippa, but Lil is cute too.

6. Elodie nn "Lola" - I love the name Elodie, and if you like Lola, using it as a nickname for Elodie is a great idea. Another nickname idea for Elodie could be Edie.

7. Freya - I like it, but I don't know if I'd use it myself.

8. Mabel Riley - I like Mabey. It's got a cute sound, and is a combination of both names without being as much of a mouthful as Mabel Riley. 

#4 A.Camille

A.Camille

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Fashion, literature, sports, cosmetology, + daydreaming!

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:52 PM

1. Vincent - Vincent isn't my style but I can see its appeal! I would prefer it in the middle spot. Vinny is a nice nickname, but for me, it's completely associated with Jersey Shore! I always love to honor family members with names. I think in that case, I think it would be so handsome as a first name.

2. Cedric - Oh, Cedric is kind of cool! Definitely reminds me of Harry Potter, but I totally love that. Ithink this would be a great middle name. 

3. Crosby - Archer and Crosby are AWESOME. I love this as a sibset. Oooooh, Crosby Everett is so handsome. What do you think you would use as a nickname (if any)? 

4. Helen - This definitely sounds a bit dated to me and I'm not quite sure if its quite ready for a comeback.

5. Phillipa / Philippa - I LOVE Philippa! I have always dreamed of a twin set of Philippa & Vivienne. I prefer to pronounce it, like Philip with an ah at the end. I'm sorry Pippa doesn't sound quite right for you, because that is the selling point for me! 

6. Elodie nn "Lola" - Be still my heart. This is by far my favorite name from this list. I had an Eloise "Lola" on my list as well. I've recently fallen in love with Elowen and love that the nickname can apply to any of them. Lola is definitely good for a nickname. You're on a roll with these combos! Elodie Scout is adorable! 

7. Freya - Love it. Works well on all ages in my opinion. 

8. Mabel Riley - Love this combo. Your child would be lucky to get this name! I definitely think Maeby would work. It's quite cute! Though Mabel Riley definitely has nice ring to it. Something feminine and a touch Southern about it. Mae is also an awesome nickname. 

#5 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:17 PM

Thanks so much guys!! And sorry it's taken so long for me to reply. Life is so busy with a toddler :)

I think I'm liking Vincent as a middle name. I'm loving the combo Crosby Vincent a ton! I still love Crosby Everett but.. Ahh <3

I'm iffy on Cedric now. It'd only be a middle name definitely. I'm very much a nick namey person so I need names with nick name potential (even if we don't end up using it, it'll bother me if its not an option).

I'm not sure Helen or Philippa/Phillipa are for me either. Mike doesn't like them anyway so I guess it settles that ;)

Elodie Scout "Lola" is definitely on my list :) I'm reallyin love! I'm loving Freya as well but I might use it as a MN for now.

I'm glad Mabel Riley "Maeby" is a hit! I wasn't sure if it made as much sense to me as it did to others.. Comforting :) I feel like even if Mabel Riley is longish it's got flow and it's not insanely long. It has the same number of syllables as Alexander and there are Alexander's who don't use nick names.

#6 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

1. I really like Vincent!  It's funny, because I'm a writer, and I've been thinking about naming a character Vincent with the nickname Vinny... I definitely prefer it to Vince.  I think it would work as either a first or middle name, depending on what you prefer, and I like that it honors your grandfather.

2. I agree that I would prefer Cedric as a middle name... it reminds me of Harry Potter, and I just don't know how usable it would be as a first name.  But I like it as a middle name, and I like the potential theme of your kids having C middle names.

3. I think Archer and Crosby sound handsome together.  I like the association with singer Bing Crosby, but I wonder if a lot of people would associate it with Bill Cosby, who has garnered a lot of negative media attention recently?  Just a thought.  Anyway, I think I like the flow of Crosby Everett better than Crosby Vincent, though both combos are nice.

4. I think Helen is really pretty.  I looked it up on Nameberry, and it was consistently a top 50 name (even top 10) from 1880-1950-ish.  Then its popularity declined, and it's now at #404.  So I would say it's more old-fashioned than middle-aged, though there are plenty of middle-aged women named Helen.  If you're iffy on it, you could use it as a middle name, or perhaps use Helena, which I think has a much more modern vibe.

5. I like Philippa, and I pronounce it like Philip with an "uh" sound at the end.  I don't know how usable it would be though... even Pippa, which is super adorable, sounds a bit juvenile to me... I can totally see a cute little girl named Pippa, but not so much a grown woman.  Lil is cute, but if you want that nickname, I would go for something more obvious, like Lily, Lillian, etc.

6. I like Elodie a lot, and I think Elodie Scout is a cute combo.  Elodie nn Lola again seems like kind of a stretch to me, but I suppose it could work.  I personally think Lola on its own would be the best option.  It's spunky and cute without being too out-there.  Maybe Lola could be a nickname for Lorelei or Magnolia?  (I don't know if that's too much of a stretch though.)

7. I'm kind of on the fence with Freya too, so I don't know if I can sway you!  It's pretty and interesting, but I'm not crazy about it.  I think using it as a middle name is a good solution.

8. Mabel is adorable on its own to me, and I like the nickname Mae but not Maeby... it sounds too much like Maybe, which I would imagine would become confusing.  Mabel Riley sounds nice to me, though Riley seems very masculine to me, while Mabel sounds more soft and delicate.  Aside from that though, I think it's a lovely name.

#7 RaeMarieSmiles

RaeMarieSmiles

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Names
    Reading
    Writing

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:46 PM

Vincent: I don't like Vinny or Vince so I would leave it in the middle name spot if I was you.

Cedric: I like this name and think it is short enough to not need a middle name. Cedric and Archer sound really cure together.

Crosby: nms

Helen: I thought It was kind of old-fashioned/vintage. Middle aged didn't come to mind at all. I have never met a Helen which adds to the appeal imo

Phillipa: I pronounce it as phillip-ah and again it is nms. I also don't like the middle name options.

Elodie: cute cute cute perfect adorable. I prefer Edie to Lola though.

Freya: I have never heard this name aloud so I don't feel I can give an opinion.

Mabel Riley: like Mabel and I'm normally against Riley but it sounds cute here. Maeby is a cute nickname. With a name like Mabel and a nickname like Mae I am against Mae as a nickname since it lacks the originality that all of your other name choices have.

*also I have to say that I saw your sons full name on another post and I adore it*

#8 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:02 PM

Thanks so much! :) 

I don't follow celebrities or any social media really, so I had no idea anything negative was going on with Bill Cosby (and I only know who he is because I live with my grandfather who occasionally watches a show of his). I'm guessing this sort of news will flow by like any other news? 

Good to know on Helen's front :) I hadn't thought to check the popularity of the past, strangely enough as I've been searching the SSA lists a lot and studying the newer charts :) 

I don't particularly love "lil" as a nick name. I'm thinking Philippa isn't for me as I'm not loving the nick names. I'm really big on nick names so it's a must to me to have one. 

I was worried that Elodie "Lola" would be a stretch :( I'm adoring Elodie Scout as a combo regardless it's staying on my list. Edie is a cute nick name option as well as Dee but... oh well. Lorelei tends to go off and on my list, I don't love it enough that it ever remains a keeper. I kind of like Magnolia, except the "Nole" sound is a real turn off to me. I think it's because every time I hear it I think I'm hearing "mole" lol. Which is a bummer as I also like the nick name Maggie. 

I agree that Freya would make a good middle name. It's short so even easier to pair with a lot of first names. 

I'm normally against Riley myself but it's my partners favorite girls name, besides Emma. I like that I can get both our favorite girls names into one combo that sounds nice. I originally didn't like "Maeby" as a name until I met a mom through FB on a mom group who has a daughter named Maeby and it suits her so perfectly.. I guess seeing it in real life makes it feel more usable. I'm not sure if we'd really use it or just end up using Mae as it's short and quick but.. options are always nice :) 

RaeMarieSmiles - thank you!! The name really suits him. I'm so happy with our decision for his name :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users