• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Marvelous_Things

Marvelous_Things

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,670 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, psychology, history, literature, anime, cosplay, and names.

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:25 PM

A friend of mine is pregnant and is due in September. She already has a little girl, Amelia Leigh, a name which I think is beautiful and easy to live with. My friend recently found out that she's having a boy, and she and her husband have decided to call him Douglas Walter, a name that honors both of their fathers. While I can respect they want to honor the baby's grandfathers, I just can't get behind the name. To me it sounds like such an old man name, and I can't think of any good nicknames that they could use. I also think it would be a hard name to live with. What are your thoughts? Is Douglas Walter too much of a dated, old-fashioned name for a baby, or do you like it?

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:30 PM

Do they have a nn in mind or know what they will call him?

Doug/Douglas isnt really my style but I dont think it is a terribly "old man" name...more like a middle aged man name lol. Walt or Wally would be cute and quite wearable in my opinion.

#3 const3llati0ns

const3llati0ns

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:36 PM

I have an eleven year old cousin named Douglas and I don't find it old-fashioned at all. It works well for him. 

#4 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:46 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Douglas, but I do think Walter is cute. I agree with Katie that both Walt and Wally are cute nns, and I think that Dougie could be cute as well. They may be shortening using his initials too? Eg DW or something using their last initial?

#5 Marvelous_Things

Marvelous_Things

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 6,670 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, psychology, history, literature, anime, cosplay, and names.

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:37 PM

I think they're planning on calling him Douglas (her dad is Doug, so they don't want to use the same nickname that he does). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users