wigi08

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

My husband and I have two top girl name choices:

Alora Grace (or Elora Grace)
Helena Hazel

Do you think these names will get mispronounced? The first one should be pronounced uh-LAUR-uh, and the second one should be pronounced hel-AY-na (NOT HEL-uh-na).

Also, for the first choice, which spelling seems more logical - Alora or Elora?

Thanks!!

#2 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

I would automatically pronounce Helena as HEL-uh-na, and I think most people will. If you want the pronunciation hel-AY-na, then I'd suggest Helaina.
I prefer Alora over Elora, but either is very pretty.

#3 Jennifer

Jennifer

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:I am a widow, I have 5 children, 3 at home still. Right now they keep me too busy to have my own interests or at least to give them much time. I do love taking pictures and changing backgrounds etc on the computer. I read when I get a chance.

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:11 AM

Alora Grace I pronounced correctly and I think most people would.

Helena Hazel I mispronounced. I think most people would say Hel Uh na.

Alora Grace is very pretty.

#4 Adriana

Adriana

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:19 AM

I also pronounced Alora Grace correctly, and I think it's a lovely name for a little girl! As for Helena, I think it just depends on the person. It's kind of a traditional name in our family and we usually pronounce it as Hel-AY-na, but we seem to be in the minority. I think either version is beautiful, but if you really want the "ay" sound and for people to always know which way to pronounce it, I think Helaina or Helayna would be best.

#5 Melissa

Melissa

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:My husband and I are very into basketball and soccer and our daughters are enjoying sports too. My oldest daughter does gymnastics, soccer, and dance and my youngest does soccer and dance, so those are my interests rights now. <br /><br />I also love kids and my job. My husband and I's jobs both involve children.

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:40 PM

Alora Grace I pronounced correctly and I think most people would.

Helena Hazel I mispronounced. I think most people would say Hel Uh na.

Ditto, and Alora Hazel is pretty, too.

#6 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

I pronounced Alora Grace correctly, but I say Helena (my oldest's name :)) as HEL-en-a, so I got that wrong. I think you could correct people on the pronounciation and get them to say it hel-AY-na, or you could change the spelling to Helaina or drop the h and go with Elena (Spanish form, I'd pronounce it as eh-LAY-na). Or you could use an accent and make it Heléna, which at least in French would give you the pronounciation you want; the problem with this is that accents don't show up on a lot of computers (especially those that deal with health services and services of the like).

#7 Onceuponatime

Onceuponatime

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:14 PM

Helena in my opinion is pronounced Hel-AY-na and I like Alora

#8 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:29 PM

I pronounced both correctly at first glance. They're both beautiful names! If you really love Helena, you could always tell people how to pronounce it correctly and I'm sure they'd remember. I do prefer Alora Grace, though. Unique, classy, beautiful. :]

#9 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:53 AM

WHenever I just look at HElena and pronounce it, I personally always say Helaynuh. I also would say Uhlora with the Alora spelling as well. I could see more of a problem with Helena, but I think it would not be a huge setback.

#10 Hannah

Hannah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,785 posts
  • Interests:I love writing, reading, sports of any kind(my favorites being basketball & soccer), music, and hanging out with my friends and family.

AND, I of course love thinking of baby names even though that is a VERY far in the future thing for me because I'm still young!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

I have a friend named Alora Joyce, she's gorgeous and extremely nice and I love the name just because of her! (Elora would cause many problems.) Now unlike the others, I pronounced Helena right, because I grew up pronouncing it that because I took my best guess, no one had told me it could be pronounced Hel-EN-uh, I've always said He-LAY-na, but I belive it would cause problems if not spelled differently.

Good luck, I love both names.

#11 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:25 PM

I would have pronounced Helena the 'wrong' way but Alora/Elora I can only think of the one way to pronounce it.
I don' t think that the spelling of Alora/Elora would make much of a difference on pronounciation but I prefer Elora becasue I think its prettier and more feminine.

#12 Jellybean

Jellybean

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:-Watching movies<br />-Reading (specially poetry)<br />-Writing<br />-Playing with my daughter<br />-Travelling<br />-Learning different languages

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:33 PM

Helena will really get misptonounced,but I agree with everyone else about Alora/Elora.
I do prefer Alora,though

#13 katie.

katie.

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,257 posts
  • Interests:Reading, watching movies, swimming

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:19 AM

I wouldpronounce Helena as Hel-en-a, not He-lay-na. I prefer the spelling of Alora.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users